• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

£50k CC/loan debt and job loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £50k CC/loan debt and job loss

Hello everyone,

I have spent several hours reading this forum and CAG/MSE over the last few weeks. There are some very knowledgable and helpful members out there. Hopefully they can offer me some advice? I have posted on CAG as well but would love to have your input. The story so far....

I work in IT as a contractor and have recently lost my job. I am struggling to find any work and don't know when I will be able to find any more work?! If I do get some it will most likely pay peanuts!

I have huge debts and my savings are about spent. I've always managed to pay my CC/Loans and am finding this very hard to deal with. My current debts are:-

Abbey C/C 7,754.90
    Egg C/C 3,203.01
    NatWest C/C 9,709.28
    Barclaycard C/C 2,298.00
    Goldfish C/C 3,126.40
    Sainsbury's C/C 4,555.75
    NatWest Loan 7,456.50
    Egg Loan 9,627.11

Total £47,430.95

On top of this outgoing of £1468.25 I estimate my house/family/car monthly spend to be around £1400/month - this is probably as low as I can get it.

I think I'll only last another month then go into overdraft.

I also have some buy to let properties that are now in negative equity! These are just about paying for themselves and I'm dreading any repair bills!

I've been selling everything I can to live on and pay these debts but now I have to face facts and do something.

Yesterday, I cancelled all direct debits to the above banks.

Today, I sent a letter to my creditors asking them to freeze interest and accept a token payment of £1. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCE OF DOING THIS? This is the letter I sent:-

Dear Sir/Madam

RE: Account Noxxxxx

I am hoping you can help me. Regrettably I am unable to maintain my current monthly payments due to unforeseeable personal circumstances

I have recently lost my job and income. I am currently looking for work and hope to be back in work ASAP

Please can you freeze interest on my account and accept a token payment each month.

I do want to pay back my debt however require some assistance in doing so.

Please find enclosed a breakdown of my financial situation including my income expenditure and debts outstanding to current creditors. Also included is a pro-rata split of my available income amongst all my creditors. The following is the amount I can afford to pay each month.

Pro rata monthly payment £1.00.

I would be very grateful if you would confirm your willingness to freeze interest and charges on the account. Also please confirm your acceptance of the repayment proposal along with details of the company I should make payments to, if this is different to the original lender.

If my financial circumstances improve, then I will of course inform you and increase my repayments accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

I currently have a business account and personal account with NatWest. The business account has some money in that I just drip into personal. I've banked with NatWest for around 20 years!

Should I move all of my essential direct debits to my wife's HSBC bank account? NatWest shouldn't be able to touch any money in my business account should they? Should I move this money as well?

I do have some charges that I'm going to try and get back from NatWest, probably around £500.

Tomorrow I will be posting the following letter to all the creditors recorded delivery:-

Dear Sir/Madam

RE: Account: xxxxxx

With reference to the above account, I would be grateful for a signed copy of my Consumer Credit Agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77-79), I am entitled to receive a copy of this agreement upon request. I therefore enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand that a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

I also understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

I have some land which I am going to sell to pay off my debt, but this could take some time in the current market?

I already know that my Egg loan CCA is UNENFORCABLE as it is the same as this thread- http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=16377 I have the original copy from Aug 2004. But I don't quite know what I'm supposed to do about it? Al the cases I've read up on have been with DCAs - but I'm still researching yet!

Any advice will be appreciated. Feels good just to let it out!

CC

Re: £50k CC/loan debt and job loss

Hiya

Well you certainly have done the right thing by writing to your creditors and making pro rata offers of payment. Hopefully they will agree to freeze the interest and accept the offer for at least an interim period.

Good idea to send CCA requests as well, lets see what comes back and can then work out the way forward.

Ok now do you know if you have any charges / PPI on any of them ? It would be worth you claiming that back and anything will at least reduce the amounts on the debts for you.

Here's the link to the Advice and Guides section Advice and Guides - Legal Beagles although I suspect you have had a really good read anyway.

You say you have a business account with Nat West to be honest they should not touch any of the money in that account as it is a business. Regards your personal account its wise to stop your direct debits and you say your wife has a separate account you could use, you could then start to claim back the charges that are on the account. Another idea is to get a Nationwide Flex account, a lot of us on here have one, you can do online banking, direct debits etc, its excellent and seems to be ideal for me I have all my household stuff now coming out of one account.

Please give a shout if there's anything else we can help you with, as I believe that you pretty much have it all in hand already.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 25th June 2009, 20:08:PM.

Comment

thanks for the response Saphire!

I'll let you know what responses I get re: freezing interest etc. I have sent CCA requests today. As I mention I already know that one of my CCAs is unenforcable - what can I actually do about it - will wait and see what they send back.

I don't have any PPI but I do have £500 ish of Natwest charges over the last 6 years - so will start a claim on that.

Will also look into the nationwide flex account, thanks for the advice.

Comment

I have had a letter and email from egg today re: direct debit cancellation. The email reads:-

Dear

Please call the above number to set up a new Direct Debit instruction.

As it is a condition of your Egg Card Agreement to have a Direct Debit in place to make repayments to your account, you'll need to set up a new Direct Debit immediately to be in time for next month's payment.

We're aware that you have other accounts with Egg. We can also review your other Direct Debit instructions when you call.

It is important that you do not use your Egg Card account until a Direct Debit has been set up as we have placed a temporary block on your account. This will only be removed once the Direct Debit is fully restored. Please be aware this could be up to 10 working days after we receive your request.

If you're unable to set up a Direct Debit on the account used to repay your Egg Card, call our Collections Department immediately on 08456 000 296 to discuss alternative arrangements.

Any advice appreciated? thanks

Comment

I have an identical letter I wrote back and told them i had written to them at the start of June and they had as yet not replied and it would explain why my DD was cancelled. They still have not written back.

Have you checked to see if your family is getting all the benefits you are entitled to? Start Calculation
          Also have you applied for the gov mortgage interest scheme?
          Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
          Me VS Abbey Win
          BIL HSBC Credit Card
          BIL EGG
          BIL HSBC Loan
          BIL PPI Win

Comment

Hi, when did you receive the identical letter? ie how longs it been since they haven't replied?

I think I'm going to have to look into benefits soon. I'm still hoping to get a job soon!

Comment

Last week sometime

Apply for the benefits now...if you get a job brilliant if it takes awhile you still have money coming in till you are back on your feet.
              Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
              Me VS Abbey Win
              BIL HSBC Credit Card
              BIL EGG
              BIL HSBC Loan
              BIL PPI Win

Comment

Hi - still no hope on the job front! But...

Egg have called me on Saturday and also today.

On Saturday I advised the lady that I'd lost my job and recently written in, explaining my situation. The lady said although money was tight could I make a £1 payment, so I did by switch. She also asked for a CCCS reference number. I said I didn't have one but I'd looked at their website.

The lady that called today asked for the arrears money - I advised I'd paid £1. She checked the notes and said I need to provide a CCCS reference number or the phone calls will continue as I'll still be in the 'system'.

I only have a CCCS web number and on the web page that it gives it you it advises not to give the web number to your creditors. So I guess I shouldn't give it to Egg????

Comment

Hi All,

Egg keep calling but I'm ignoring them.

I have received CCAs from Barclaycard (for Goldfish as well) and Sainsburys.

On one account, Barclaycard have sent me a generic CCA - it doesn't even say my name just - These are the terms and conditions of an agreement between us (Barclays Bank PLC...) and you, the person who signed the agreement (as named on the covering letter).

That surely isn't enforceable? They probabaly haven't got the original?

The other agreement sent from Barclaycard is similar but it has my name and address printed on it. These aren't originals just recreated documents???

The CCA from Sainsburys has come from Halifax Card Services? In their letter it clearly states they have eclosed 'a copy of your reconstituted version of the executed agreement comprising both the original and a copy of the current terms and conditions together with a signed statement of the account'

They have enclosed 2 recreated CCAs on 6 sides A4 each, one with my old address and one with my current.

These can't be enforcable as they are on 6 sides and reconstituted?

I think I need to send the account in dispute letter? Any advice please?

Comment

bumping your question up.

My golden rule - keep everything in writing - say you do not want to discuss on phone and start a file of all correspondence now in case you need it later.

hopefully you will get a reply tomorrow from another poster
                    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Hi, I have started a folder with seperate sleeves for each lender/account, also keeping recorded slips etc.

Something interesting is the fact that only 2 out of 8 of my wifes £1 cheques have been cashed - these both by Egg. Even though only Barclaycard and Sainsburys have replied with CCAs? Maybe they don't bother cashing them???

Comment

Hello All, I'm thinking of posting this letter out to the banks that have not responded - do you think I should wait around 3 weeks from CCA request? ie 12+2 days?

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

I write with regards to the above account with your organisation.

Further to my letter of xxxxxx I respectfully request that you provide me by return a copy of the credit agreement which bears my signature. I require this as I have reason to believe that there may be discrepancies within the agreement which may leave it improperly executed.

Obviously if the agreement is improperly executed I would be entitled to ask the court to consider the agreement and make a declaration of the rights of parties to the agreement.

I must stress this request is NOT made pursuant to section 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 but is made pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules ( Pre action protocols and Part 31.16) and therefore an unsigned copy, or application form, will not suffice, only a copy of the original contract in its unaltered form will suffice in these circumstances.

Please confirm if you still hold a copy of my signed agreement and that you will provide me with this document.

I do not view this as an unreasonable request given that by supplying the document which I have asked for it will allow me to assess if my case has merit and will help to resolve matters possibly without the need to involve the court and will undoubtedly save costs on both sides.

I respectfully request you review this matter in light of my comments above and I request that you supply me with the required information.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY Action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.
                        *You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.
                        * You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.
                        * You may not pass the account to a third party.
                        * You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.
                        *You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

I look forward to your reply and would ask for a response by give them 14 days.

Regards
                        Last edited by consumerchicken; 12th July 2009, 21:04:PM.

Comment

Hi Consumer Chicken

Im having the same sorts of problems but have been getting great advice in these forums, particulary from Frisp, Curlyben and Amethyst (they are guardian angels!)

Frisp has put together a letter for me in my thread, for Sharkleys and Egg. There is also some good stuff he put together for me on the harrassment (believe me it gets worse with their continual phone calls) just keep ignoring them or if you can you should change your number.

This is my thread.... http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...757#post115757

Really, the person who said to you to claim any benefits you are due is right, try and get whatever you can from the DSS. Although a few years ago I was out of work for about 6 weeks and I didnt qualify for housing or council tax benefit because at that time I owned property over their asset limit.

With you having property (albeit in neg equity) you might find you wont qualify for housing our council tax benefit, but you would get at least job seekers allowance, which isnt much but its something.

Also check if you have payment protection with any of your cards. I had it with one of mine RBS and I was about to send them the dodgy selling of ppi letter but I thought I'd take a chance and make a claim because of my accident (which put me off work) and surprisingly (my minimum payment to my cc is £64 including £22 ppi.) they have just informed me that for the 3 months that the claim is valid for they will pay nearly £1000 off the said card. They have also said that I am due more and I need to just send them in a document and I should qualify for about another £300.

Im so glad I never stopped their PPi now :-)

Check all your cards and see if you have any with them, you might have forgotten about one

Keep your chin up, many of us are in the same boat as you are.

I would also suggest Payplan, as I put a friend of mine onto them. He had approx £40k in debts and was paying out £800 per month. They have now got the interest frozen for him and he's only paying £170 per month now. Albeit for a number of years, but he can sleep at night.

Feel free to PM me if you need someone to rant at :-)

Good Luck

Scotsgirl
                          Scotsgirl

Comment

Scotsgirl,
                            Thanks for your post. I agree the advice and experiences shared on this forum are amazing.

I may use Frisp's letters - I'm going to post an update shortly with all CCAs etc received so far.

I don't think I'm going to be entitled to any benefits as I do have some assets. I should be able to get JSA though so have that on my to do list for this week.

I don't have PPI on any of my accounts. I decided that was a waste of money years ago!

I looked at Payplan and CCCS but decided to have a go at dealing with the banks myself!

I'll be following your thread so please do keep it updated!

CC
                            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                            Hi Everyone,

I took my family camping last week, I decided if we don't go now we won't be able to go in the summer holidays as it'll cost 3x the ammount!.

I now need to concentrate on getting my financial affairs in order!

Update regarding my CCAs and responses, I've scanned them in -

Abbey CC(MBNA)
                            Abbey have sent me 2 letters
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...t-respon-1.jpg
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...-response-.jpg
                            No CCA received!

Barclaycard CC
                            Have sent me a made up CCA, ie current terms not true copy - unenforcable?
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...-cc-cca-p1.jpg
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...-cc-cca-p2.jpg

Egg CC
                            CCA received but shows approved limit - please can somebody check this over and confirm it's unenforcable?

Egg Loan
                            CCA received but it refers to terms which are on other pages - unenforcable?
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...oan-cca-p1.jpg
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...oan-cca-p2.jpg

Goldfish CC
                            Standard terms and conditions received - unenforcable?

Natwest CC
                            Have sent a response to my financial statement
                            http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...t-response.jpg
                            But no CCA

Natwest Loan
                            No CCA

Sainsburys
                            Response received from Halifax?? CCAs reconstituted - as mentioned above. 2 CCAs were attached to this letter 6 spages each. Letter is interesting though! http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...rys-cca-p1.jpg

Please can anyone advise on moving forward - Shall I send the letter I posted above to Abbey, Barclaycard, Goldfish, Natwest (for CC and loan) and Sainsburys.

I guess Egg will have to be tackled differently! I could use Frisp's letters???

Thanks in advance.
                            CC
                            Last edited by consumerchicken; 20th July 2009, 23:31:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Any CCA experts out there? please can you advise, I'd like to send some letters out tomorrow... thanks!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X