• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

new to legalbeagles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to legalbeagles

just saying hi to all who offer help and advice on the forums, hopefully this will help me get along and get control of my liufe where debts and bills are concerned

i owe bham city council tax arrears, im not denying i dont owe the money just didnt have it at the time, i recieved a letter from equita , i gave the a call and the lady at equita said it is out of her hands as it has been passed over to a bailiff and i have to deal with them directly. no bailiff has of yet been to my home and hand delivered a letter, all i have recieved is two letters through the post from them, would a bailiff at this stage accept a payment plan over 4 months to pay the debt + is it a legal limit as to what they can chatge up to this point, ie so m many letters?
    the letter from equita was dated 31st august, i called on 3rd september when my wages went in the bank with a view to making an immediate payment; do i have a case for not being a reasonable ammount of time between letter arriving and me contacting them to offer payment

Read more at: council tax and Equita - Page 4 - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
    Last edited by coops555; 4th September 2011, 23:04:PM. Reason: info
    Tags: None

Re: new to legalbeagles

Hi Coops555
    I was in the same position last year, (council tax arears) they will accept a payment plan, and an amount that is reasonable and affordable, I had to make the first payment immediatly, followed by the agreed monthly payments.
    As long as you keep to the plan no other action will be taken.
    Hope this helps
    gillwall :tinysmile_grin_t: Good luck.

Comment

At this stage they should be willing to accept a payment offer. If you phone with this, try your hardest to record the call so you have evidence it was agreed to. The National Standards for Enforcement Agents state they should be willing to negotiate at this early stage.

If they accept your repayment plan, make sure you stick to it and cleared funds are with them by the agreed date. One day late and they're likely to demand the whole outstanding balance.

If you can't record the phone call, you're best putting it in writing, keep a copy and followit up with a call tomorrow and ask them to put acceptance in writing.

No fees other than the council's liability order should have been added so far.

Comment

i called the bailiff this morning but i had run out of phone call credit, so i sent a txt and have made the first payment online & sent a message to equita via there online service requesting a callback and confirmation, if anything i have the details from bank account and txt sent as evidence of contact, if they refuse this then at least i have some evidence that i have tried to contact them and have shown willing in regards to making payments to clear the debt

Comment

just adding that as of yet i have not heard back of equita, will send an email to them today

Comment

still nothing, starting to wonder if this is what they do to make you ppay more thanyo can afford

Comment

If they are refusing to reply, I would suggest that you start making your payments direct to the council using either the internet or their automated phone system. If you go to pay at a council outlet they will refuse the payment.

I would also be inclined to write to the Head of Revenues at the council outlining your efforts thus far to come to a repayment arrangement and the bailiffs' failure to respond. It wouldn't harm, in light of this, to ask if he would please consider recalling the debt to the council and outlining your repayment proposals direct to him - he can only say no.

Comment

As I have said many times before, on various threads, if you pay the council online direct, there is always the possibility that it will get allocated to this years account, or the wrong year, and not to the arrears. Also, now it has been allocated to bailiffs, charges will accrue if you don't pay via the bailiffs, unless the council take the account back. Even if you do pay the council direct, you will still be liable for the bailiffs charges so far, for the two letters.

I would suggest you email Karen Fowler at Equita, her email address is info@equita.co.uk

Tell her exatly what the situation is, how muh you are able to pay, etc. Also might be worth pointing out that it is only a crime to refuse to pay council tax, not to be unable to pay. Have a read of this thread, it will throw some light on matters Wends Mate v Equita/ Bham City Council - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
                Is no longer here

Comment

There is usually a way of allocating it to the right bill. I've never actually done it myself, but know plenty of people who have without problems.

In the circumstances where bailiffs are simply not communicating or replying to communications, then it is better to be seen to be paying than not paying anything. This demonstrates your determination to pay it, despite the bailiffs putting barriers in your way.

I know you have said this many times before, and equally you know we sometimes differ on this. I take the view in this case that it is better to pay something than nothing at all.

Head of Revenues or Equita? Both have a responsibility for collecting Council Tax so doesn't matter which really. As you have an e-mail for Equita, then that's great.

Comment

i was paying my arrears to EQUITA, HOWEVER I WAS ON SOME BENEFITS AT THE TIME AND THESE STOPPED, WITH THIS I RECIEVED A NEW COUNCIL TAX BILL FRO B/HAM CITY COUNCIL ASKING FOR MONTHLY PAYMENTS, THE LETTER STATED THAT £300.68 WAS OWED AND BEING PURSUED BY OTHER MEANS(IE EQUITA) AND THE BALANCE OF THE REMAINING YEARS COUNCIL TAX INCREASE TO BE PAID BY 3 MONTHLY PAYMENTS, THE FIRST OF WHICH I HAVE MADE DIRECT TO THE COUNCIL. TO EQUITA I HAVE ALREADY PAID £304. I CALLED EQUITA THIS MORNING WHO SAY THAT I OWE THEM £504 IN TOTAL,HOWEVER I HAVE ONLY RECIEVED LETTERS FROM THEM AND NEVER HAVE I HAD A VISIT FROM AN ACTUAL BAILIFF WITH THE INTENT OF MAKING A LEVY.
                    DO I OWE EQUITA THIS MONEY(THE EXTRA £200) OR DOES IT SOUND AS IF THE CASE IS CLEARED WITH ONLY EQUITA TO PASS THE FUNDS ONTO THE COUNCIL?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X