• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax and Equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: council tax and Equita

just been reading this thread9just joined looking for advice) i owe bham city council tax arrears, im not denying i dont owe the money just didnt have it at the time, i recieved a letter from equita , i gave the a call and the lady at equita said it is out of her hands as it has been passed over to a bailiff and i have to deal with them directly. no bailiff has of yet been to my home and hand delivered a letter, all i have recieved is two letters through the post from them, would a bailiff at this stage accept a payment plan over 4 months to pay the debt + is it a legal limit as to what they can chatge up to this point, ie so m many letters?
    the letter from equita was dated 31st august, i called on 3rd september when my wages went in the bank with a view to making an immediate payment; do i have a case for not being a reasonable ammount of time between letter arriving and me contacting them to offer payment?
    Last edited by coops555; 4th September 2011, 22:51:PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Re: council tax and Equita

Have a read of this Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum If all you have had is two letters then the most they can charge is £42.50. Put your payment proposal to them in writing, straight away, and copy it to Bham Council also. It is not out of Equita's hands, - the bailiff works for them. You do not have to speak directly to the bailiff, in fact I would advise not talking to them by phone at all, do everything in writing. You could also speak to the Council direct and see if you can pay them direct.

Get a payment arrangement sorted asap, which will prevent any further visits and charges being added on. But once you make a payment arrangement, you must stick to it, they will default you at the slightest excuse and escalate it, so that they can add on more charges.
      Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X