• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fighting the good fight.... and maybe winning!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting the good fight.... and maybe winning!

Greetings all!

What a delightful forum - seriously, power to you folks who have put this together. A real inspiration!

I am in a fix and have been for a while. I was right down on the ground and getting kicked from everyside. Thankfully for real friends, I am back up on my knees now - but I am fighting banksters, and I know that I am costing them much more than they me at this point... So this is my story so far (like the Marillion song!) My hope is to make an eventual victory useful to all the other "little people" out there.

I am going to pass quickly over the sad bits, but they bear on who this drama has played out.

In the summer of 2008, I got very ill and was confined to hospital for an extended period of time. At the same time, I went through a separation with my spouse. Also the economy tanked, and a few investments and such I had went down the loo. Not a good time.

Anyhow, I had some loans and credit card debts and so on, as well as a house with a giant mortgage. However, I was unable to even read for several months and totally unable to pay bills or do anything really, and no one else whas around to catch me. Bummer as I said... A serious bummer. Not something I want anyone to have to go through...

By 2009, I had recovered sufficiently to begin to put my life back together, and so I began to write all my angry creditors and arrange payments, settlements, and so on. By the end of the year, my mortgage was being paid regularly and Northern Rock put my missed payments onto the principle. Council taxes got sorted. Utilities got sorted (sort of). I had debts in other countries also, but managed to see those sorted as well. However, by this time, I had three defaults on my record: an MBNA credit card, an HSBC credit card, and an HSBC loan. Moreover, one of the utilities put a CCJ on me (I had no clue how the civil legal system here worked - I am from Canada originally). And MBNA made a dramatic right turn and similarly sought a CCJ.

I am going to focus here on the MBNA story, and bring up the HSBC story and the Trent Water CCJ story on other threads (I am fighting both and all...)

I had in been in correspondence with MBNA and we had in principle agreed to a final settlement of 30% on the about £11K I (allegedly) owed. I was in process of selling a little land I had to raise the capital, and while I was not looking, and without telling me, they handed the account over to their solicitors, "Restons", about whom I have nothing nice to say.

So I received a letter stating that I should pay up fully and completely immediately or they would seek redress in court. That was September of 2009.

Now, as it turns out, they also registered my account as defaulted on September 30, 2009, but I only learned of this much later. Importantly, I was never sent a letter or informed that my account was in default. This is important - it is one of the arguments I am in the process of using now (Nov. 2010).

Anyhow, unaware of what was going on, I wrote to them in November that I was able to settle the debt. However, they now refused the 30% offer MBNA had made earlier... and indeed, they had submitted their paper work to the courts. So I waited to be served and prepared myself for the famous English legal system.

Unfortunately, the notification of the court date - December 16, 2009 - did not arrive before December 11th at the soonest (this is an estimation, since I was not there to receive it... After all it was Xmas and I had gotten back together with my wife, and there is more to life than paying bills and cursing at banks...). And the court date coincided with my wife's Bday... So my Xmas present was to find that not only had the court date come and gone, but a judgement in default was then sent to me somewhere around January 13. Actually, I did not even understand at that point what had happened, because I could not believe that it was legal to get a ruling without having an opportunity to present a defence...

In fact, I began reading up on what was going on, but it was not until I received another hearing notice in March for a charging order to be placed on my house that I finally understood what had happened.

Okay, I will continue this story with all the legal nitty gritty later...
    Tags: None

Re: Fighting the good fight.... and maybe winning!

Hello and welcome

Blimey, you have had a right time of it haven't you?

Well I hope your feeling lots better now.

Thanks for posting up your issues and even though I'm no expert in this field - you will receive some useful help/advice and support to get you through this from members on here who will know how this works.

But yes please do keep posting and hopefully someone will be along later or tomorrow to have a look at this for you.

Wishing you all the luck, you will get through this.

And look forward to also seeing you around other forums too, The Lamp Post chat threads etc.

XX

Comment

Looking forward to this as im in a fight with MBNA and Restons too! Theyre the only creditors to not accept hardship payments (mental health) of all my creditors.

Glad your at least better and welcome to the forums!

Comment

Okay, I will continue this story with all the legal nitty gritty later...

Read more at: Fighting the good fight.... and maybe winning! - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
        Hi ERD & welcome

Wow--so far so bad!!

Is part II just as grim?

As soon as you've posted it all up I'm sure that help and good advice will be forthcoming.

Comment

Greetings all--

I didn't receive notification of the responses or I would have chimed on further sooner...

I posted on a particular aspect of the case under the legal issues forum Illegitimate signature on claim - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

From there, I started to post some of the statement of case I submitted (recently -- no response yet from the courts... of course Xmas is still a few days off :-P )

In any case--especially@paulb--I certainly would be happy to share any and all of what I have learned. You might be interested in the above link.

Not sure where the whole statement of case and case history belongs--I will ask Amethyst where it should go (and who has already added some invaluable case cites).

K--cheers all--and happy lunar eclipse (which I believe is going on at this very minute, at least in this part of the country)

Comment

Originally posted by middenmess View Post
            Hi ERD & welcome

Wow--so far so bad!!

Is part II just as grim?

As soon as you've posted it all up I'm sure that help and good advice will be forthcoming.
            Hi Middenmess--indeed, part II was as grim, though differently...

I will fill in a bit more of the story just to keep the narrative suspense (then see the link in my previous comment for the final battle on Mt Doom where the forces of goodness prevail over the evil dark lord, MBNA, and its wraithlike henchmen, Restons...--I should add 'hopefully' in there...)

So, yes, this hobbit, beaten and bruised did finally take up (legal) arms against his aggressor. I put in the paper work to defend against the pending charging order, got it moved to my local court, prepared a 20 page defence, and...

The court refused to hear my defence. Whatsoever. Charging order continued, fees, interest, etc... That would be in July of 2010. Utterly routed and depressed, I figured that it must be that the law had been vanquished from England (if it had ever really been here...).

As an afternote, the judge was in his rights for the most part, because the defence had not been properly introduced within 7 days. However, there are several contentious aspects to this, one of which was that with a charging order, the court is in any case *required* to hear the defence (see the statement of case for the legal citations). And another is that I had been explicit told by the courts to bring my defence directly before the judge on no less than two occasions. And, indeed, the solicitor I had consulted with 6 days before the hearing said there was normally a 3 or 6 or 7 or 14 days requirement (she wasn't sure) but as I was not a solicitor, I should be heard.

However, I wasn't heard... and the moral of the story is that you cannot believe anything really. Well, that is a bit over the top, but really you need to do it yourself and figure it out yourself--that part of the moral seems to be true now in my experience.

In any case, with more bruises but more knowledge in hand, I proceeded (after licking my wounds) to issue several further letters seeking infos under the DPA and CCA, and of course keeping very careful track of everything to do with the case in obscene detail. I have seldom in my life become so anally excessive--but I believe this really pays when it comes to the law.

Anyhow, there were many long delays and so on, but I finally received some of the information I had sought in November and I submitted a statement of case and an N244 application seeking several things including a summary judgment to set aside the default judgment just very recently. The details of it are here ---> Illegitimate signature on claim - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

So, the situation did get grimmer, but I did get back up on my feet again and... we shall see what comes of this next round.

Oh, forgot to say, there are reasons to believe I have a chance in hell. MBNA did sent me a 'statement of account' that stated that £0 was owing... That was just recently. I think their solicitors looked over it and saw that, among other things, the contract was unenforceable. Which is an issue worth looking at in detail on these forums, because I think it is going to apply to a lot of folks situations... even for contracts undertaken after 6.4.07.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X