• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FSA expenses ''scandal''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSA expenses ''scandal''

FSA expenses reveal £400 a night hotel stays

FSA staff have been claiming over £400 a night in expenses for hotel accommodation, reports Nicole Blackmore of Money Marketing.

According to FSA director expense claims, obtained by Money Marketing through a Freedom of Information request, chairman Adair Turner claimed £812 for two nights at a hotel in February, with a hotel expenditure of £5,889 between November 2008 and March 2009.
    Chief executive Hector Sants claimed £11,245 in transport costs over the last three financial years, for the occasions when his full-time driver was unavailable.
    Turner spent an average of £265 per night on hotel accommodation, while chief executive Sants’ average bill was £225 per night.
    Managing director Jon Pain claimed £545 for a two-night hotel stay and other claims included 70p for a newspaper. Managing director Sally Dewar claimed £358 for one night’s hotel stay.

The total expenses claimed by FSA directors over the past three financial years is just short of £110,000. The FSA says it does not keep a record of rejected claims.
    The FSA says: “Many hotel costs are for international speaking engagements where it is necessary to stay in the same place as the conference is being held, which is often in capital cities where demand is high and availability often limited. We aim to get the best value from the range of options available.”
    Highclere Financial Service partner Alan Lakey says: “Am I surprised? Of course I’m not. But I am angry that my money is being used in this way.”
    Lee Werrell, owner of CEI Compliance commented that; “Of course the FSA are going to have expenses when travelling on business and £400 a night in a good hotel would be expected by such a senior person. There are far more expensive hotels than that if someone really wanted to kick the bottom out of expenses. If placed in context, these costs are not excessive.”
    Follow us on twitter; http://twitter.com/CEIComplianceUK
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: FSA expenses ''scandal''

Obviously never heard of travel lodges and the such :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

TUTTSI was wondering who benefited from the £3m fine the FSA has just dished out to HSBC for losing data.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizzimum View Post
        TUTTSI was wondering who benefited from the £3m fine the FSA has just dished out to HSBC for losing data.
        and Bizzimum was wondering why Loans.co.uk did not get a fine for having the data stolen in 2007.....

Comment

Lee Werrell, owner of CEI Compliance commented that; “Of course the FSA are going to have expenses when travelling on business and £400 a night in a good hotel would be expected by such a senior person. There are far more expensive hotels than that if someone really wanted to kick the bottom out of expenses. If placed in context, these costs are not excessive.”

Lee Werrell knows which side his breads buttered on that's fer sure

Comment

Originally posted by Bizzimum View Post
            That same question occurred to me when I read about the HSBC fine - I'd like to find out.

The FSA, although a quasi government department reporting to the treasury is funded entirely by the financial services industry and I couldn't imagine fines finding their way back to where they came from.

If the Tories are true to their word and abolish the FSA it does leave a large question mark over the FOS who's budget is set (and paid for) by the FSA.

Comment

I thought it was the ICO that fined HSBC?? Wasn't it a breach of Data Protection(or do I need to get the dunce cap out for me??)
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              Fetch me the DUNCE cap please
              Last edited by natweststaffmember; 23rd July 2009, 19:40:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It was the FSA http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/...2009/099.shtml

Comment

The question remains why it was the FSA and not the ICO?

How did Loans.co.uk get away with it and what about all the government departments who have lost discs/laptops etc? Are they going to be fined too? Many of us must have had data compromised when they lost the Child Benefit discs, who would benefit from any fine imposed in that instance? Does it all get spent on expenses?

Comment

Bizzimum as I recall Government departments were not subject to the ICO until very recently & it was only after a series of data losses that they became so. As for loans.uk now that is a mystery especially as that data still appears to be in wide circulation???

Comment

Any jobs going there?????????

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                        Any jobs going there?????????

only if your a (w)banker

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X