• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Beagles response to PCA report (OFT)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beagles response to PCA report (OFT)

Legal Beagles have recently submitted a formal response to the Office of Fair Trading 's consulation on their market study into Personal Current Accounts.

Their report can be read in full here OFT PCA REPORT

Our response is attached in PDF format below.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Tom Brennan for putting everything together and all our team, everyone on Beagles, and members from across the various forums who have contributed to the response. Everyones input has been greatly appreciated. Also thanks to the OFT for their consideration and for enabling Beagles members to meet with them to discuss the content of the report.

It is quite long, 26 pages overall, but if you do get bored at bedtime then it is most definately worth a read.

We hope the report puts forward views held by a large proportion of consumers and members of all consumer sites.

Many thanks, all comments welcome and appreciated

Ta

Ame

xx
    Last edited by Amethyst; 12th December 2008, 21:46:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Beagles response to PCA report (OFT)

Excellent work and congratulations to everyone who has been involved in any way, shape or form with the generation of this document.

Am extremely proud of this work which I believe is the only submission being made to the OFT by a web based Consumer Group.

Long Live Beagles
    Last edited by Budgie; 12th December 2008, 22:02:PM.

Comment

Ame - the link to PCA report is coming up as page moved on the OFT site.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...tions/personal seems it's now here.:27:

Comment

humbugs lol Thanks ed. will amend first post
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

:hohoho: I'm forever going through PAG OFT links because they keep moving things lol You're not the only only one they catch out PMSL

Comment

Well done all & thanks Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
              Excellent work and congratulations to everyone who has been involved in any way, shape or form with the generation of this document.

Am extremely proud of this work which I believe is the only submission being made to the OFT by a web based Consumer Group.

Long Live Beagles

You bet. And a big thanks to Tom, Atlas Chambers and FSI who all waived various fees in commisioning the work for us.

Comment

Some extracts from the PCA report

Beagles 'Wish List' for future PCA's

• Charges to be proportional and fair;
                • Higher interest rate on unauthorised borrowing limited to just the unauthorised
                amount, not the entire overdraft (this issue currently affects Abbey customers);
                • Better customer service and consumer redress, with a less sales-driven approach to
                consumer contact;
                • Any overdraft limit should be a limit not a guide – if a DD or SO takes the account
                over the prescribed limit then the item should not be paid;
                • Documentation to be entirely in Plain Intelligible Language and to be easily
                accessible, both within branches and online;
                • Independent regulation with consultation from a consumer panel;
                • Trigger limits or flags, i.e. if a set number or percentage of DD's, SO's, etc are not
                getting met over a time period, then contact and assistance is offered by the bank;
                • Alternative or flexible charging dates to coincide with salary or income into the
                account, namely set days within the month, such as the last Friday of the month;
                • Banking code regulated and properly adhered to by the bank, with regulatory
                sanctions and/or fines where there have been repeated breaches;
                • Parent/Sister companies should be made clearer on any documentation – so as to
                allow better assessment of offers provided by banks and the offsetting of any risks;
                • Annual financial “health checks” to identify problems or concerns;
                • Enable DD's to be held rather than cancelled with the need to be set up again;
                • Allow monthly repayment plan of overdrafts prior to a default situation;
                • Simpler opening procedures;
                • Being able to contact your branch directly, with the ability of branches being able
                to process requests or resolve situations without the need to refer the customer to a
                call centre;
                • Call centre’s should be UK based;
                • Standardised regulation for all default charging aspects. The maximum level and
                frequency or total of charges that any bank applies should be set, amended,
                monitored, and controlled by the relevant regulatory body. Each bank should be
                forced to adopt and use identical terms and conditions in respect of default
                charging aspects, with the relevant terms and conditions being drafted, amended,
                issued, and administered by this regulatory body. Therefore allowing a proper
                comparison in respect of the remaining elements of the facilities and prices
                offered.
                • Monthly account fees are acceptable at a sensible rate, although they should not be
                automatically linked to additional services such as insurance, travel money, etc.
                • Financial hardship criteria should be standardised for all banks, with greater detail
                being set out within the regulatory code or the Banking Code.
                • Text alerts for issues relating to your account, such as a notification that your
                account has dropped below a certain level as a pre warning.

and the Conclusions we came to:

7. Conclusion and recommendations

7.1. Whilst we support the objectives of the current market study and the ongoing Test
                Case proceedings, we have serious concerns with the amount of time it has taken for
                such action to be forthcoming. It has taken a nation-wide consumer campaign against
                the level and frequency of insufficient fund charges, alongside high-profile media
                coverage, before the OFT and the FSA have contemplated any formal action against
                the banks in respect of these charges. Even now, with a provisional finding by the OFT
                that these insufficient fund charges are unfair, the banks are continuing to impose these
                charges with apparent impunity.

7.2. We have serious concerns that this is further undermining consumer confidence in both
                the banks and the regulators. In circumstances where the High Court has ruled that
                such charges are subject to the test of fairness under the UTCCRs, and where the OFT
                has reached a provisional conclusion that these charges are unfair, we believe it is
                unacceptable that the banks should be allowed to continue imposing these charges.
                7.3. Whilst we appreciate that the OFT has limited funding, and is trying to proceed with
                the case in a sensible manner, we are dismayed at the length of time it has taken to
                reach this stage, with no end in sight for at least 12 months. We are seriously
                concerned that the banks are attempting to drag out the court process for as long as
                possible, so as to delay repayments to consumers and to continue imposing these
                charges, at a time when many consumers are facing serious financial hardship as a
                result.

7.4. We would strongly urge the OFT to use their statutory powers to seek interim
                injunctive measures to prevent the continued use of these insufficient fund charges.
                7.5. With £39billion of public funds already injected into our ailing banking industry, and
                with the prospect of more public funds to come in the future, the tax-paying consumer
                is entitled to expect more from their banks. Given the pressing need for increased
                regulation of the banking industry following the current financial crises, there will not
                be a better opportunity for the OFT to use its moral and political authority to ensure a
                fairer deal for consumers by effectively regulating the PCA market and the use of
                insufficient fund charges.

7.6. It appears to us, despite years of pressure from the government and regulatory bodies,that the banks are unwilling to voluntarily implement the essential changes to the PCA
                market that are required to ensure proper competition and the fair treatment of
                consumers. For the reasons set out in this formal response, we are of the opinion that
                the time for self-regulation has long since passed. At a time when confidence in the
                UK banking industry is at an all-time low, endemic failures within the industry must
                be rectified through strict independent regulation combined with greater transparency.

7.7. One foreseeable result of the OFTs investigation into insufficient fund charges is the
                setting of a “monetary threshold” for such charges above which the OFT will take
                action, similar to the market study into credit card charges11. At whatever level this
                “threshold” for charges is set, our experiences with the market reaction to the credit
                card charges report leads us to believe that this reaction will be repeated in the banking
                market. Namely that each bank will use the threshold set by the OFT. We urge the
                OFT to take recognition of this fact, and to appreciate that any “threshold level” set by
                the OFT is likely to become the industry standard.

7.8. In light of this, and the lack of competition that will inevitably follow, we would urge
                the OFT to take a stricter approach and actually regulate the market in respect of
                insufficient fund charges, setting out clearly the prescribed circumstances in which
                they can be imposed and, more importantly, the level of charges that can be imposed.
                Whilst we appreciate that this may raise concerns relating to competition, it is obvious
                that there is no such competition now, and that a “threshold” level will remove any
                scope for competition in the future.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

I wish I had read that PCA bit quoted, first bit at least Amethyst.
                  Sorry, but I have spotted some stuff that is bugging me, as I said, I should have, could and didn't read the report as yet and therefore I could have and should have put more of an input into it apart from minor comments on the dicussion. Can I quote stuff from above or should I just shut up and leave it be?
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  It's about the wish list ONLY.
                  Last edited by natweststaffmember; 14th December 2008, 12:01:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well read it now, and read the following paragraphs Then comment to your hearts content
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Am reading the perfect bank account thingy. So I am currently at page 17.
                      The suggestions for it are difficult to do. The FSA already recommend "account reviews" already which I should add are slated across most internet forums as Sales related yet there are elements within that that deal with the health check idea. I don't understand the simple account opening bit because those rules are guided by again the FSA albeit the list of acceptable identificiation could be uniform in make up. Being able to contact your branch, that already happens within RBS Group and HBoS, however there has to be back up within the call centre environment because you simply cannot answer 100% of the telephone calls to the branch, in fact NatWest are targetted to answer 75% of their phone calls. UK based call centres is an economic rather than the norm. If you want to vote with your feet then you move to RBS Group who ONLY have UK based call centres and I believe HBOS Group.

Will carry on reading it.
                      I believe text alerts already exist but yet again in many of the debt forums, many posters do not want anyone to have their mobile phone number.
                      5.6 is utter nonsense. Letter from DWP is acceptable
                      Last edited by natweststaffmember; 14th December 2008, 16:31:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Nats, I tried to open a basic Natwest account, I had just moved so had no bills at my new address in my name, and the letter from the DWP was turned down cause it didnt have my middle name on it. So guess what, I don't have an account with Natwest.

:gingerbreadhouse:
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

What was the other form of identification?

Comment

Passport
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Then the branch got it wrong, imho. The ID and the address ID have to match. That branch got it wrong. I think that kinda goes with another part of the PCA which is about different things being asked for even if it is within the same group of companies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X