• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Link MBNA Claim Urgent Help needed please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link MBNA Claim Urgent Help needed please!

Hi guys,
    I need some urgent guidance if poss please.
    My OH received a Claim Form from LINK Financial 2nd week of Feb (Issued on the 9th) for a £12k MBNA Card debt.

I have Acknowledged online as Defending but I'm coming up to the 28 days on Monday to issue a defence.

Desperately hoping this timeline will help clarify things and weed out any mistakes/non-compliance/defence arguments etc. (docs inserted below are underlined and some possible areas of interest are in bold italics):

MBNA
    - Account Opened feb 09

99-2008
    - ok up to mid 08 then credit crunch, late payments, interest creeping up, charges etc.
    - last payment Aug 08
    - Despite attempts to negotiate no acceptance of situation by MBNA or willingness to negotiate.
    - (by this time min £250 interest pmth min payment £430+, then £1000+ etc.)
    - Countless phone calls ensued, threats upsetting my OH so make agreement to pay c£95pmth, mbna refuse to stop interest though

- payments made in dec & jan but for each £95 paid 2x£12 fees and £215 interest!?
    - mbna still refused to stop interest / charges so we told them impossible to continue
    09/02/09 - Posted CCA request & Telephone Harassment letters on 09/02/99
    26/03/09 Received:
    - letter dated 23/03/09 in response to CCA enclosing 'original and current agreements', ('original' was a tiny copy of an application form) in the letter admitting 'the copy of the original agreement is not very clear' but stating that it has 'all the prescribed terms' etc.
    - letter dated 19/03/09 saying here's a copy of your 'current' terms (4 sheets of unsigned terms)
    - letter dated 23/03/09 in response to telephone harassment letter explaining account closed, sorry we can't stop calling you etc.
    02/04/09 - received general threat letter: court action, DCA etc.
    22/04/09 - received 'notice of potential court order to your property'
    08/05/09 - received pre-default warning letter: balance sold to 3rd party DCA etc.
    12/05/09 - received threat to seek order to repay debt from equity from sale or re-mortgage of property
    26/05/09 - received last statement
    13/06/09 - received default notice dated 08/06/09, remedy deadline 25/06/09
    13/06/09 - received default notice dated 08/06/09, remedy deadline 25/06/09 "we are aware that you are insolvent"...etc.
    (Continuous calls throughout this preceding period)

LINK
    03/07/09 - received 1st Notice of Assignment letter 'introducing' Link Financial as owning 'the balance' as of 19/02/10
    27/07/09 - received letter stating "you recently received a letter from us regarding your MBNA ... account. This letter was a legal requirement under Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925" - only received the NOA letter before this one
    02/11/09 - received 2nd NOA letter, exact same text
    14/11/09 - received "Investigation of Assets letter", stating their office had made "an enquiry under the Land Registration Act 2002" proving we "have a significant asset, one that can be used to enforce a CCJ by way of a Final Charging Order" etc...

28/07/10 - statement of Account
    01/12/10 - letter "before action"

31/01/11 - statement of account
    09/02/11 - CLAIM Form
    14/02/11 - ***DEADLINE FOR DEFENCE***

I realise I should have SAR / CPR'd straight away but for various reasons wasn't on the ball.
    I'm now facing a defence deadline of Monday so really desperate for help.

I'd like to request the original agreement from Link but don't know best way to do it in time or in conjunction with a request for extension.
    Also is it worth making a point about the balance being assigned to LINK (19/06/09), 6 days before the MBNA DN remedy deadline (25/02/09)?
    ANY clarification would be much appreciated!

Here are the underlined docs in chronological order, apologies for repetition of some already posted.

09/02/09 - SENT THESE RECORDED DELIVERY & HAVE RECEIPT

26/03/09 - RECEIVED THESE

+4 SHEETS OF UNSIGNED TERMS & SOME STATEMENTS

13/06/09 - RECEIVED THESE ON SAME DAY

03/07/09 - RECEIVED THIS NOA, states MBNA Assigned Bal to LINK on 19/02/09 - 6 Days BEFORE Remedy deadline on DNs???

09/02/11 - RECEIVED CLAIM

There seems to be some mileage with the DN dates conflicting with the assignment date, the harassment calls and lack of terms being sent with the application form etc.
    My problem is how to incorporate all this into a meaningful & succinct defence document and what else i should be faxing/posting right now?

I don't want to wait until Monday and just rely on a hurried defence, will the court grant an extension at this late stage? if so what's the best method?
    General opinion seems to be against an embarrassed defence so I'm floundering a little.

I'm kicking myseld that I didn't CPR or SAR stratight away so I'm hoping there is some way I can still do this and ask for the extension?
    Should I still issue a standard template SAR to MBNA & CPR 31.14 request to Link and separately try to get an extension somehow?
    Is there a way to request an extension and at the same time issue SAR/CPR requests before Monday?
    Is there a way to put in some kind of a 'holding defence' whilst CPR/SAR goes out?

Would this be best by N244 or is there a template letter or do I need to call Link first to request an extension & then write a CPR/extension request letter?
    With defence due Monday I need to fax/post something today ideally.

Should I fax an N244 it will go to a DJ and effectively pull the claim file whilst he decides (gives a couple more days)?...
    Link will probably put in for a summary judgment on Monday so I need to file something before to hold/extend whilst cpr/sar requests go through OR put in a complete defence which I feel unprepared for.

Can any Legal Beagles think of other threads/judgments that may have this info or particular LBs I should approach?
    Best wishes
    GF2k
    Tags: None

Re: Link MBNA Claim Urgent Help needed please!

Have a read of this

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...e/2011/B3.html
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks pt2537,
      I've looked over the judgment.
      lot to take in and a little heavy going but i think the DN/assignment dates may have merit, and also i can mention the telephone harassment.
      unfortunately with the lack of SAR i don't have all their calls listed.

I do everything ever sent to me including marketing bumf with all pages notated with the date of receipt so hopefully the DN receipt date will be seen as credible by the judge making it arguably invalid?

what other things should be in a DN to make it valid?

Again, if i can somehow get an extension allowing me to cpr & sar that would be my preference.
      if i put an n244 in today by fax that may work but only if the right wording/valid reasons for extension - if anyone can advise that i can do that straight away.
      thanks.
      gf2k

Comment

Originally posted by gforce2k View Post
        Thanks pt2537,
        I've looked over the judgment.
        lot to take in and a little heavy going but i think the DN/assignment dates may have merit, and also i can mention the telephone harassment.
        unfortunately with the lack of SAR i don't have all their calls listed.

I do everything ever sent to me including marketing bumf with all pages notated with the date of receipt so hopefully the DN receipt date will be seen as credible by the judge making it arguably invalid?

what other things should be in a DN to make it valid?

Again, if i can somehow get an extension allowing me to cpr & sar that would be my preference.
        if i put an n244 in today by fax that may work but only if the right wording/valid reasons for extension - if anyone can advise that i can do that straight away.
        thanks.
        gf2k
        I think the Harrison case gives you the credible argument on the Default notice

It is rife within MBNA it seems for them to use second class post for their default notices and thus it leaves them invalid

Dont forget in Harrison ( i have the MBNA witness statement) they said "MBNA never used second class post" and that our client was wrong, well they had to swallow them words PDQ

In respect of your application, i am sorry i do not have the spare time to go through it now with you, i am sitting on a heavy case load at present.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

thanks again pt2537,
          so do i just refer to the harrison case siting the invalid DN as my entire defence or should I 'tag' it somehow to a standard template 'embarrassed defence' along with mention of harassment?

either way do you believe this will be enough to win or should i try the extension route and request cpr/sar?

if the latter I realise you're very busy so I'll do my best to put together an application an post it online in the next 2-3 hours.
          all i'd ask is if you could advise any last minute pointers before faxing, it would be much appreciated.

thanks,
          gf2k

Comment

Aaaargh!
            Just opened the pdf file I submitted for my OH to copy and paste the defence text in this post and was shocked to find a MASSIVE MISTAKE!!!
            The defence says NEXT RETAIL
            I had originally changed it to LINK and MBNA!, all i can think of is that it happened when shorten the text again for the umpteenth time I re-copied from the source document (an old Next defence) and repasted it without changing the names. :mad2:

HELP! what do i do? send in a letter begging the court's forgiveness, pressed the wrong button etc?

This is what was submitted (can't believe i didn't notice it until now!)
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            1. I XXXX XXXX make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by NEXT RETAIL LIMITED

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -

4. The claimants' particulars of claims are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently
            particularised and does not comply with CPR part 16. In addition the following documents that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim have not been served attached to the claim form:
            a) A copy of the purported written agreement.
            b) A copy of the purported Default Notice.
            c) A copy of the purported Notice of Assignment.

5. Consequently, I deny all allegations on the particulars of claim and do not know what case I have to meet

Credit account
            6. The account referred to relates originally to a NEXT catalogue account and furthermore is classed as running-account credit as defined within section 10 (1)(a) Consumer Credit act 1974 which states inter alia
            (a) running-account credit is a facility under a personal credit agreement whereby the debtor is enabled to receive from time to time (whether in his own person, or by another person) from the creditor or a third party cash, goods and services (or any of them) to an amount or value such that, taking into account payments made by or to the credit of the debtor, the credit limit (if any) is not at any time exceeded, and

7. Therefore, based upon the claimant's particulars of claim, the claimant would appear to be trying to circumvent the regulation of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 under which this account type is governed.

8. The Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires that where credit is provided by a creditor to a debtor, there must be an agreement between parties containing the prescribed terms as set out in section 60(1) of the consumer credit act 1974 and signed in the prescribed manner as laid out in section 61(1) (a) Consumer credit act 1974

9. Therefore for the claimant to have a legitimate right of action they must hold a credit agreement compliant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the regulations made under the Act and must be able to produce this before the court

10. The Claimant is therefore put to strict proof that such agreement exists
            Consequences of Non Disclosure of the agreement

11. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that the without disclosure of the requested documentation pursuant to the Civil
            Procedure Rules I have not yet had the opportunity to assess if the documentation the claimant would need to be relying upon to bring this action even contains the prescribed terms required in Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) which was amended by Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482). The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553)

12. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that where an agreement does not have the prescribed terms as stated in point
            11 it is not compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore not enforceable by s127 (3). The courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced

13. With regards to the Authority cited in point 12, I refer to LORD NICHOLLS OF BIRKENHEAD in the House of Lords Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) paragraph 29

The default notice
            14. Furthermore, since the account referred to in the particulars of claim is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for a right to pursue action to exist, there are procedures, which must be followed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. A default notice must be issued under s87 (1)conforming to the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) which sets out the form and content which default notices must include, without such notice being issued the claimant would not have such right to demand any monies

15. It is neither admitted nor denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant

16. Notwithstanding point 15, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the
            Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

17. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management
            Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

Conclusion
            18. In view of the matters pleaded above, I respectfully request that the court gives consideration to whether the claimant's
            statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 16.

19. In addition, if the claimant cannot produce a credit agreement in the prescribed form signed in the prescribed manner by debtor and creditor, the court is precluded from making an enforcement order under s127 (3) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and it is requested that the court use its powers under section 142 Consumer Credit Act 1974 to declare the agreement unenforceable and strike out the claimants case accordingly

20. Having instigated these proceedings without any legal basis for doing so, having failed to provide sufficient information
            required under the pre-trial protocols in order to investigate this claim, or indeed to provide a reasonable time period to
            investigate this matter, and having failed to investigate a dispute as required by the OFT Debt collection Guidelines I
            believe the Claimant's conduct amounts to unlawful harassment under section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act.
            The defendant respectfully asks the permission of the court to amend this defence when the above documents are provided.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a muppet! please tell me I haven't completely screwed this up irreparably!

Comment

That is an old old old defence from before the Carey Judgment was handed down.

To say it is out of date is an understatement

You really need to amend urgently IMHO

If you have not had disclosure of the agreement and have asked for it under CPR 31.14 then id consider an application and including the leave to amend

Comment

Thanks again PT,
                Disclosure
                No I've not had a disclosure from Link and have not asked for it under CPR 31.14 because I thought I was too late and the defence would cover it.

I'm obviously very out of date, the last time i went through this was 2 years ago at least with the Next defence, which ended up with their claim being struck out so I thought this would work at least as a holding defence & to request docs.

Amend
                Is there a template defence you could advise when no CPR or SAR requests have been made which helps me request disclosure of the relevant documents mentioned in the POC or perhaps requests an extension so that CPR/SAR can be made?

OR

Even though I don't 'officially' have these docs (not disclosed) do I dive in and copy the court on the docs I have posted on this thread mentioning what I believe is dodgy/uncompliant (plain english/with legal references?)?

The only points I've been able to come up with seem to be:
                - Agreement (bad copy of application form, some parts illegible)
                - DN from MBNA (date arrived written on top by me leaves less than 14 days to remedy date)
                - NOA (issued by Link before MBNA DN remedy date) - not sure how important this is
                - excessive calls/harassment
                - ?

Application
                So if I understand you correctly I should on make the application if I have already sent a CPR31.14 request?

Stupid question
                It seems either way tomorrow morning I should:
                - CPR 31.14 to Link (or is it CPR 31.18)?
                - SAR to MBNA? (I know this 40 days...)
                - too late to ask Link for an extension?

Thanks GF2k

Comment

btw...
                  Just re-read the POC, actually says "a default was registered.", doesn't actually say 'Default Notice' or even 'Notice of Default'.
                  Is this important?
                  - good (i.e. POC non-compliant?)
                  - bad (i.e. DN not specifically listed/mentioned in the POC so can't request it?)

Comment

subbing

Comment

thanks angry cat
                      any thoughts re the cpr and sar are there particular letters you can point me to for posting tomorrow morning?

the harrison judgment it seems very similar to my situation which makes me feel more positive - faulty dn, early NOA, no contract with application, harassment - but none of these individually seemed to wow the judge though they cumulatively worked.
                      I need to somehow amend including all of this and also requesting the documents or at least time for the cpr and sar to be answered/defaulted - unsure of best way though and I can't afford to get it wrong again.

These are the areas that seem arguable though again any addition welcome:
                      - Agreement (bad copy of application form, some parts illegible)
                      - lack of agreement with application form (not sure what cpr this contravenes)
                      - DN from MBNA (date arrived written on top by me leaves less than 14 days to remedy date)
                      - NOA issued by Link before MBNA DN remedy date (not sure how important this is or what rule applies)
                      - excessive calls/harassment from mbna (have a partial log but would obviously be better with the SAR response)

I'd like to incorporate everything into a defence with legal references like harrison v link and making proper reference to each relevant procedural rule.

or is it best to keep it simple? just as i've written here in plain english as defendant in person? (actually on behalf of my OH)?

need to fire of an n244 amended defence urgently so court has it first thing so any last minute guidance welcome.

also best templates for cpr 31.14 (or 18?) and SAR?

thanks gf2k

Comment

Thanks again everyone,
                        I'll post a defence as soon as I can.

In the meantime will this SAR do for MBNA tomorrow?

Data Controller
                        MBNA Europe Bank Limited
                        Chester Business Park
                        Chester
                        CH4 9FB

17th March 2010
                        (should I put an earlier date?)

Section 7 - Data Protection Act 1998
                        Subject Access Request

NAME: XXXX XXXXX
                        ADDRESS: XX XXXXXXXXX XXXX....
                        ACCOUNT:
                        (is this necessary?)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I formally request that you forward me a true record of any Data held by your organisation relating to myself for any and all accounts held currently or in the past with your company.

Please supply me with all data that you hold on me.
                        This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-

1. The original signed, executed credit agreement/s and any terms and conditions that applied to the account/s at the time of default and at the time the account/s was/were opened.

2. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account or any former account held with your organisation.

3. True copies of any notice of assignment and default notices or enforcement notice that you/or name of the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

4. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account/s, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date/s they were/ it was added and deleted. (if applicable).

5. Details of any collection charges added to the account/s; specifically, the date they were/it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was/charges were calculated, and what the charge covers/charges cover.

6. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account/these accounts and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

7. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

8. A list of third party agencies to which you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

9. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement/s.

10. Termination notices

11. Any details of internal and external telephone conversations relating to the account/s.

12. For the avoidance of doubt this should include, but not be limited to:
                        • All computer screen notes relating to the account/s
                        • All computer screen notes relating to transactions that have gone through the account/s
                        • All computer screen notes relating to transactions that have been refused or dishonoured relating to the account/s
                        • All Internal messages or notes relating to the account/s
                        • All Internal messages or notes relating to transactions that have gone through the account/s
                        • All Internal messages or notes relating to transactions that have been refused or dishonoured, relating to the account/s
                        • Full details of managerial decisions whether to pay an item or not, who took the decision and why, relating to the account/s
                        • All recordings/transcripts of any telephone conversations, whether internal or external, relating to the account/s
                        • Copies of any e-mail's, or other electronic communication's, whether internal or external, relating to the account/s
                        • Copies of all letters/correspondence relating to the account/s
                        • All information relating to litigation that has taken place on the account/s

13. This request should include any Data held for more than 6 years as under the Data Protection Act there is no time limit for information requested.

14. If you do not hold Data for a period longer than 6 years I also request confirmation of this in writing along with your methods used for disposal of such information to comply with the Data Protection Act stating the name and contact information of your registered Data Controller and Code Compliance Officer.

PLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec)

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply all the above documents in line with the Information Commissioners Technical Guidance update (Dated August 2007)

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. Please note these funds should not be used for any other purpose.

You have 40 days from receipt of this request in which to return to me the information requested, securely and in legible condition.

Please note that the above address is the one registered with your organisation and which you have previously found to be acceptable. However if there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return.

Yours faithfully,

(Signed with signature crossed through OR Signed using a script font as usual?)

thanks gf2k

Comment

if the above is a data subject access request then you are not entitled to some of the stuff you are asking for under s7 DPA 1998

Comment

Ok just a pointer, but get "template" defences out of your head.

Everyone has different methods, different firms will work different ways etc, but my approach to a claim is not to use a template but to plead each defence on its own merits.

you need to answer their claim against you, you need to highlight any failings, such as a breach of s78(1) and the reasons why and also things like Default notices and why they are not compliant etc

Comment

You need to amend your defence and;
                              make a Part 31.14 request to Link:
                              http://www.justice.gov.uk/civil/proc...rts/part31.htm

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X