• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is This Unfair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Unfair?

Unfair Term

Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCR) 1999:

5. – (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

My view

The term found in every Consumer Credit Agreement and Personal Bank Account contract in the UK – that permits a lending firm to supply some, all, or none of your data in regards to your borrowings to the Credit Reference Agency’s – is Unfair.

Lenders include this term into every contract as it forms a fundamental element of The Lending Code 2009.

See sections 3 “Credit Reference Agency” & section 4 “Credit Assessment” of The Lending Code 2009 http://www.lendingstandardsboard.org...endingcode.pdf

Para 34. “When customers apply for a lending product, subscribers should tell them when they may pass the customer’s details to credit reference agencies (CRAs) and the checks that subscribers may make with them.”

Para35. “Subscribers can give CRAs default information about a customer’s debts if:

• the customer has fallen behind with their payments
    • the amount owed is not being disputed by the customer; and
    • the customer has not made a proposal that satisfies the subscriber for repaying the debt following the subscriber’s formal demand.”

This means that the lender does not have to pass information about your borrowings – and they don’t always do – because they may do so – and that right is firmly reserved and exercised - in favour of the lender.

Your Rights

You have a right to accurate credit files with the Credit Reference Agency’s as this allows you to get better and more competitive rates. It also allows lenders to conduct proper searches on you to see if you are good risk for the money that they are lending to you.

What is Unfair?

That lenders cannot possibly carry out proper searches in accordance with The Lending Code:

Before lending any money; granting or increasing an overdraft, or other borrowing, subscribers should assess whether the customer will be able to repay it - For personal customers, this assessment should include consideration of information from CRAs…”

You may have been lent more money than you could actually afford.

Data Controller

The lender is the data controller – not the Credit Reference Agency who only store data on behalf of the data controller (the lender).

Credit Reference Agency – your credit files

The three main CRAs in the UK are Equifax, Experian, and Call Credit – I test anyone to obtain a statutory copy of your credit file from all three CRAs.

- You will find on observation that some lenders do not report your borrowings at all.

- You will find that some lenders report only partial data on your debts.

- Worse still some lenders will report incorrect information – on the amount borrowed, the repayments – such as missed payments, or other things like dates will be wrong.

- And even worse than all of that put together – is that some lenders report to one CRA and not the other two, or to two and not all three.

The Data Protection Act 1998 (section 10)

(1) Subject to subsection (2) an individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing, or processing for a specified purpose or in a specified manner, and personal data in respect of which he is the data subject, on the ground that, for specified reasons

(a) the processing of those data or their processing for that purpose or in that manner is causing or is likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to him or to another, and

(b) that damage or distress would be unwarranted”

Consumer Credit Act 2006 - section 159 (1)

A consumer can demand that –

A consumer given information under section 158 who considers that an entry in his file is incorrect, and that if it is not corrected he is likely to be prejudiced, may give notice to the agency requiring it either to remove the entry from the file or amend it.

What Does This All Mean?

Simply – you have a right to an accurate credit file.

If a lender has reported inaccurate data about you – then you can ask the lender to correct it.

If the lender refuses then the procedure under UK Law permits you to add a Notice of Correction by notice to the CRA.

This is wrong and if challenged in the courts would render this section of the Consumer Credit Act null and void – why? – the Notice of Correction does not correct the inaccurate data – it is only the data controller – the lender that can do that.

This was tested in CCN Systems v Data Protection Registrar 1991 by use of an example case with fictitious names:

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean

In 1985 Mr Simon Jones, a chartered accountant, sold his house to a Mr J Watson. In 1988 Mr Jones applied to a building society for a cheque guarantee card. He was refused a card and informed that a credit reference had been sought from CCN. Mr Jones applied to CCN under section 158 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a copy of his file. Among the information supplied was an entry showing a judgment awarded in 1987 against Mr Watson. The only link between Mr Jones and Mr Watson was that they were respectively vendor and purchaser of a house a few years earlier. Put in another way, the only link between them was that they had at different times lived at the same address. Mr Jones was distressed by this incident.

Section 159 of the Consumer Credit Act entitles a consumer who considers that an entry in his file is incorrect to ask the credit reference agency either to remove the entry from the file or amend it. CCN refused to remove the entry relating to the judgment but agreed to add a notice of correction stating that it did not refer to Mr Jones. They believed it would not have been right to remove the entry since it was an accurate record of the fact of the judgment against Mr Watson. But it appears that there would be nothing to prevent the same judgment surfacing in any future search against Mr Jones, albeit with the notice of correction appended to it. If there were to be other judgments against Mr Watson they too would presumably surface, but without any notice of correction.

CCN Systems v Data Protection Registrar 1991 – Appeal Decision Paragraphs 51 & 52

Para 51 – The word "fairly" in the first principle is not defined in the Act, and no guidance is given as to its interpretation. In determining its meaning we must have regard to the purpose of the Data Protection Act. It is quite clear, from the Act as a whole and in particular from the data protection principles set out in Schedule 1, that the purpose of the Act is to protect the rights of the individual about whom data is obtained, stored, processed or supplied, rather than those of the data user. The Act was the result of concerns about the use of computer data, concerns voiced in Parliament and in the reports of a number of representative official committees and widely held throughout Europe (hence the Council of Europe's Convention for the Protection of Individuals with regard to Automatic Processing of Personal Data opened for signature on 28 January 1981 referred to in sections 37 and 41 of the Act).

Para 52 – In our view, in deciding whether the processing we have described is fair we must give the first and paramount consideration to the interests of the applicant for credit – the "data subject" in the Act's terms. We are not ignoring the consequences for the credit industry of a finding of unfairness, and we sympathise with their problems, but we believe that they will accept that they must carry on their activities in accordance with the principles laid down in the Act of Parliament.

CCN (the credit reference agency) lost the appeal and data in relation to third parties no longer appears in our credit files.

Further Case Law

Richard Durkin v DSG Retail Ltd & HFC Bank (2008) – in Scotland.

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/A187_04.html This case has subsequently been appealed in January 2010 and we are awaiting the Judgement.

In the original case Mr Durkin was awarded substantial damages when inaccurate and detrimental data was registered against him with the CRA’s, and as a consequence he was unable to raise credit as he otherwise would have been able to if his credit file had not been damaged.

Section 140(a) Consumer Credit Act 2006 – Unfair relationships between creditors and debtors

(1) The court may make an order under section 140B in connection with a credit agreement if it determines that the relationship between the creditor and the debtor arising out of the agreement (or the agreement taken with any related agreement) is unfair to the debtor because of one or more of the following

(a) any of the terms of the agreement or of any related agreement;
    (b) the way in which the creditor has exercised or enforced any of his rights under the agreement or any related agreement;
    (c) any other thing done (or not done) by, or on behalf of, the creditor (either before or after the making of the agreement or any related agreement).

Your Three Credit File’s held by the major CRAs

The question is – and this is what I put to the test – is can you on application to the court get an order that the charges you incurred were unlawful because of this Unfair relationship with the lender(s)?

In simple terms – can you:

1.Get the charges and interest removed;
    2. Get your files with the CRAs repaired;
    3. Get your costs back with interest;
    4. And be compensated for the damage this Negligence has caused.

Case Law

I am looking for UK and European Case Law that would assist in this argument – if you know of any please post back.

Disclaimer

This information about the law is designed to help users safely cope with their own legal needs. But legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although I go to great lengths to make sure my information is accurate and useful, I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that my information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.
    Disclaimer - This information about the law is designed to help users safely cope with their own legal needs. But legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although I go to great lengths to make sure my information is accurate and useful, I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that my information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Re: Is This Unfair?

A very warm welcome to Legal Beagles Hicskis, I always find it difficult to write your name, even on MSE. Glad to see you here and your input will be great

Comment

Thanks

Thank you natweststaffmember - it's good to be here. If you want help remembering my name try - hic-ups and skiing (skis) - hicskis. That's one way - the other to people who know me is more obvious...

Disclaimer - Info about the law is designed to help users safely cope with their own legal needs. But legal info is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although I go to great lengths to make sure my info is accurate and useful - please seek the advise of a lawyer before you act..
      Disclaimer - This information about the law is designed to help users safely cope with their own legal needs. But legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although I go to great lengths to make sure my information is accurate and useful, I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that my information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Comment

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...2009/2386.html

Paras 26 - 36 may have some useful snippets in.

(btw your signature has been done and should be showing on posts (I can see it))
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks i had noticed you had tweaked my account in places.

What do you make of this Judgement - I had looked at it before but dismissed it as Mc Guffick had lost...I will natutally look at it again in more detail but just wanted to feel your input...

Comment

McGuffick lost because the consumer credit agreement was enforceable therefore the lender was permitted to report to the CRAs.

However Para 27 of the Judgment states:

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean

"The finance industry in the United Kingdom has established a self-regulating user group, the Steering Committee on Reciprocity or "SCOR", which, in consultation with industry trade associations and regulatory bodies, including the OFT and the Information Commissioner's Office ("ICO"), has developed the "Information Sharing: Principles of Reciprocity" document, the latest version of which is dated November 2008. The principles are intended to regulate the sharing of information by lenders through the CRAs. In particular that regulation is to ensure that information is utilised in accordance with the Governing Principle, which is stated to be:
            Data are shared only for the prevention of over-commitment, bad debt, fraud and money laundering, and to support debt recovery and debtor tracing, with the aim of promoting responsible lending."
            THE HONOURABLE MR JUSTICE FLAUX (High Court of Justice) sums up in para 36:

"Rather the reporting has been for the legitimate purposes, identified in the Governing Principle, of sharing credit performance data with other financial institutions through the CRAs to promote responsible lending. Of course, it does not follow from the fact that the motive for reporting during the period of non-compliance is an entirely proper one that such reporting is permitted as a matter of law."
            I this my friends - a smoking gun?

Comment

Hi hicskis

(From post #1)

"Data Controller

The lender is the data controller – not the Credit Reference Agency who only store data on behalf of the data controller (the lender)."

I'm a bit puzzled by this statement, as the following link seems to identify CRAs as Data Controllers

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public...es/credit.aspx
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

This link does not. CRAs only store data on behalf on the Data Controller. If you believe an entry in your file is wrong then ask the CRA to amend, alter, or remove the ofending data - their answer will be they cannot as the data belongs to the Data Controller (the lender) and it is only the lender that can do that.

This is a quirk in the Law and something i am trying to get changed.

Comment

Hi again,

See the ICO Legal Guidance (specifically 2.5)

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=21779
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Where the data controller is a credit reference agency, further provisions on providing this data apply, one of which allows the individual to "limit his request to personal data relevant to his financial standing".[ Data Protection Act 1998, section 9 ] The cost of such a statutory credit report is currently set at £2,[ The Data Protection (Subject Access) (Fees and Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/191)]

Also - this may be of interest - http://www.experian.co.uk/www/pages/...-version31.pdf (chapter 3 is about subscribers requirements)

SCOR consists of representatives from APACS, British Bankers Association, Consumer Credit Association, Consumer Credit Trade Association, Credit Services Association, Council of Mortgage Lenders, Finance & Leasing Association and British Retail Consortium, together with representatives from CRAs Experian, Equifax and Callcredit
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Interesting article from Consumer Affairs Review - Experian - October 2009

There has been an increase in pressure
                      from consumers wanting default data
                      removed from their credit reports.
                      This pressure originates from several
                      internet forums where the validity of
                      default data has been questioned and
                      various methods of removal discussed.
                      The majority of the current pressure
                      relates to requests originally made
                      to companies for agreements under
                      Sections 77 and 78 of the Consumer
                      Credit Act 1974 and the consumer’s
                      interpretation of what a company is
                      obliged to supply. The consumers’
                      contention is that where an agreement
                      has not been supplied this places the
                      validity of the entry in doubt and in
                      dispute. They maintain that where an
                      account is in dispute, the Banking Code
                      requires the entry to be suppressed
                      from the credit reference agency’s
                      records.
                      This method highlights the need for
                      consumer disputes to be dealt with
                      quickly and effectively and any queries
                      raised by ourselves to be answered
                      promptly and as fully as permissible.
                      Disputes raised about credit reports
                      need to be responded to within 28 days
                      to comply with the default guidance
                      notes.
                      Consumers are quick to highlight that
                      they do not feel a simple response
                      of ‘details correct’ is sufficient
                      substantiation and in this respect,
                      particular focus has recently been paid
                      to the Information Commissioner’s
                      technical guidance note – filing defaults
                      with credit reference agencies.
                      In recent discussions around a specific
                      example, the view of the Information
                      Commissioner’s Office was that the
                      failure of a creditor to produce a copy of
                      the signed credit agreement is not, on
                      its own, evidence that a debt does not
                      exist and should therefore not appear
                      on a credit report. If a credit grantor
                      can supply some other evidence of the
                      agreement and you have no evidence
                      to contradict this, then it is likely to be
                      legitimate for the debt to continue to be
                      recorded on a credit report.

Around 18 percent of
                      the general credit report advice
                      we are providing relates to bank
                      charges in terms of individuals’
                      reports.
                      Last edited by Amethyst; 25th February 2010, 09:28:AM.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Reference to
                        Originally posted by hicskis

Consumer Credit Act 2006 - section 159 (1)

A consumer can demand that –

A consumer given information under section 158 who considers that an entry in his file is incorrect, and that if it is not corrected he is likely to be prejudiced, may give notice to the agency requiring it either to remove the entry from the file or amend it.

Originally posted by bolding mine
                        Consumer Credit Act
                        159. Correction of wrong information.
                        — [F1 (1) Any individual (the “objector ”) given— (a)
                        information under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 by a credit reference agency, or

(b)
                        information under section 158,

who considers that an entry in his file is incorrect, and that if it is not corrected he is likely to be prejudiced, may give notice to the agency requiring it either to remove the entry from the file or amend it.]
                        (2) Within 28 days after receiving a notice under subsection (1), the agency shall by notice inform the [F2 objector] that it has— (a)
                        removed the entry from the file, or

(b)
                        amended the entry, or

(c)
                        taken no action,

and if the notice states that the agency has amended the entry it shall include a copy of the file so far as it comprises the amended entry.
                        (3) Within 28 days after receiving a notice under subsection (2), or where no such notice was given, within 28 days after the expiry of the period mentioned in subsection (2), the [F2 objector] may, unless he has been informed by the agency that it has removed the entry from his file, serve a further notice on the agency requiring it to add to the file an accompanying notice of correction (not exceeding 200 words) drawn up by the [F2 objector], and include a copy of it when furnishing information included in or based on that entry.
                        (4) Within 28 days after receiving a notice under subsection (3), the agency, unless it intends to apply to the [F2 the relevant authority] under subsection (5), shall by notice inform the [F2 objector] that it has received the notice under subsection (3) and intends to comply with it.
                        (5) If— (a)
                        the [F2 objector] has not received a notice under subsection (4) within the time required, or

(b)
                        it appears to the agency that it would be improper for it to publish a notice of correction because it is incorrect, or unjustly defames any person, or is frivolous or scandalous, or is for any other reason unsuitable, the [F2 objector] or, as the case may be, the agency may, in the prescribed manner and on payment of the specified fee, apply to [F2 the relevant authority], who may make such order on the application as he thinks fit.

(6) If a person to whom an order under this section is directed fails to comply with it within the period specified in the order he commits an offence.
                        [F3 (7) The [F4 Information Commissioner] may vary or revoke any order made by him under this section.
                        (8) In this section “the relevant authority ” means— (a)
                        where the objector is a partnership or other unincorporated body of persons, the [F5 OFT] , and

(b)
                        in any other case, the [F4 Information Commissioner].]
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

This is a letter i received from the ICO dated 25th July 2009 (i would have scanned it but my scanner's on the blink) - i have emphasised where necessary:

ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office)

Dear…

Thank you for your correspondence dated 14 November 2008 regarding your concerns about information held by Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs).

The Information Commissioner’s Office advises on and enforces the Data Protection Act 1998 (the DPA). The DPA has eight principles of ‘good information handling’. These give people specific rights in relation to their personal information and put certain obligations on those organisations that are responsible for processing it.

I note from your letter that you have raised a number of issues, however I am only able to comment on the data protection aspects of your correspondence. As I understand it, these concern the fact that, having obtained a copy of your credit file from both Equifax and Experian, the information contained on the two reports does not match and as such you believe that the information is inaccurate and inadequate for purpose.

Principle 4 of the DPA says that ‘personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.’

It is my understanding that lenders do not always subscribe to services from all the CRAs. As such, it may be that bank A will use Equifax to report customer account information to, while bank B may only report customer account information to Experian. In these situations it stands to reason that if customer of bank A was to check their Experian credit file, their account information relating to their account with bank A would not be present. Similarly if a customer from bank B checked their file with Equifax, their account information from bank B would not be present.

I should explain that CRAs can only report the information that is supplied to them by lenders. As such, we would expect lenders to ensure that the information they hold and report to the CRAs regarding an individual’s account is accurate and up to date and that the information reported on the credit file by the CRAs accurately reflects the information supplied to them by the lenders. It is difficult to see however, how CRAs could be considered to be processing inaccurate personal data as a result of failing to report account information on a credit file that hey have not been supplied with due to the fact that the lender in question does not subscribe to their service.

I note your concerns surrounding the fact that, as any one credit file may not contain a full account of an individual’s credit history, the information is inadequate for the purpose of assisting lenders in assessing credit applications.

Principle 3 of the DPA says that ‘personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which they are processed.’

While it may be that the information held by one of the CRAs may not demonstrate a full account of an individual’s credit history, a lender may chose to view information held by other CRAs as well prior to making their decision. Ultimately however, it is the decision of the lender as to how much information they require in order to make an informed decision as to an individual’s credit worthiness. Our office cannot compel an organisation to subscribe to any given CRAs service and it is not our role to determine how much information a lender may require in order to make informed decisions regarding an individual’s credit application.

I hope this information is useful to you, however if you require further clarification on any of the matters raised in this letter please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely
                          Casework and Advice Officer

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X