• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

car parts warranties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car parts warranties

I bought an ignition coil from my work in may last year and fitted it to my car the same day. recently it has started to develop a small misfire so I have checked it out and it turns out that the coil pack has failled internally, so i went to the parts dept today and the parts person ordered me a new unit. when it arrived he said that his manager said that i had to pay for the part then they would send my old one away to be tested and if it was found to be faulty then they would give me my money back.

Is it not proof enough that when i take the faulty pack off and fit the new one and the fault clears that it is the coil pack that is at fault? can he legally do that? i thought if it was under warranty then they should supply me with a replacement part at no extra cost?

He is withholding the part untill i pay for it, leaving me with a car that is off the road. also I am a master technician and therefore more qualified than the person who will be testing the part at the manufacturer so I would have thought that my diagnosis of the fault would have been valid since any time we return parts for retail customers then my diagnosis is usually good enough for them.

Re: car parts warranties

This is that old standby the "double-standard" at work. Of course your diagnosis is good enough when your employer stands to make a profit, but when he stands to lose, or at least break even, he wants to shorten the odds.

You have statutory rights in addition to any manufacturer warranty but a seller is entitled to repair, refund or replace for parts that fail after six months. You do not have an automatic right to a refund or replacement part at once. Furthermore, since this is your employer we are discussing, it might not be wise it push the issue too far at this stage.

I must say that I find it curious that you should be treated this way, in particular as you are employed by the company. What sort of relationship do you have with this employer?

Comment

Re: car parts warranties

I did have a very good relationship with them but there have been several cases of double standards lately and as of next friday I will no longer be working for them as I have handed in my notice and have a new job to go to.

I now have a replacement part after kicking up a bit of a stink with them so at least im back on the road now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X