• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Req-insurers Cancelled Home Ins Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Req-insurers Cancelled Home Ins Policy

AVIVA INSURANCE, FORMERLY NORWICH UNION AND AND BEFORE THAT COMMERCIAL UNION.

It appears that our home insurance biuldings and contents policy has been cancelled without our knowledge.

Renewal was in sept and two months premiums have been paid.

The DD could not be met in November and Mr T spoke to insurers where it was agreed that they would collect November premium on 12/12/09.

This it appears did not happen as it now unfolds they cancelled the entire policy on 8th Dec 09. The letter of cancellation was dated 25/12/09 and was received by us on 31/12/09.

Mr T phoned them and they gave us emergency cover over the weekend and that has now expired, but have just informed us that they do not want to re-instate the policy. Now they are saying that we have a high policy excess and have had a few claims over the years.

It is a difficult one to get replaced as there was subsidence 20 years + ago and not many insurers will touch it. We have been with this company for over 30 years and they were obliged to take the cover because of the subsidence risk.

I have written a complaint VIA EMAIL to the CEO this afternoon, could not find a telephone number. So far no response although I know the email has been opened. I have also said that I can pay Nov, Dec and Jan premiums by debit card to bring it upto date.

I have asked for the policy to be reinstated at least whilst the complaint is being dealt with and have informed them that if a satisfactory answer is not received today a complaint will be made to the FOS and the FSA and any other regulatory body that needs to be made aware of their practices.

This to me cannot be correct that they can leave you without insurance, cancel it some 16 days before before they even write the letter to informing you and canceling the policy after agreeing that the payment could be made on the 12th.

It all seems pretty weird after such a long relationship with this company and it seems that there has been a breakdown in the relationship.

Anyone any ideas on this????

A desperate Tuttsi

Re: Help Req-insurers Cancelled Home Ins Policy

Oooo Tutts we are with Aviva too for the insurance on the other house, but sorry I havn't come accross this problem. Hopefully someone will have an idea or two though hun.

Comment

I have just found out that whilst we were informed on Saturday 2nd January 2010that they were holding temporary cover this in fact did not happen as the person that Mr T spoke to did not even make any notes on the sytem even though he assured him that temp cover had been granted.

It was bad enough that we have had no cover since 8th December 2009 and that the letter was dated 25th Dec09. If we had had a fire - we would not even have known that we had no cover. I think that is imorral not to give adequate notice IMHO.

a very distraught Tuttsi

Comment

Tuttsi,

I found these T & Cs on the Aviva site - page 41 (cancellations) states that they will give you 14 days notice before cancelling.
        As posted above, best check your T & Cs
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Many thanks for that, we have now found that in our home policy booklet which spells out the T&C's and I will be now writing a much stronger email to the CEO as no way did they give us 14 days notice. In fact they did it arse about face...

Just having another look at those T&C's, the second paragraph - does that correlate to b. I guess now I have to look at the credit agreement to verify those terms.

b. We (or any agent we appoint and who acts with our specific authority) may cancel this policy by sending 14 days notice to your last known address. You will be entitled to a refund of the premium paid, subject to a deduction for the time for which you have been covered.
          If you have chosen to pay your premium utilising the monthly credit facility and you do not make regular monthly payments as per the terms of your credit agreement, we reserve the right to cancel your insurance in accordance with the terms of your credit agreement and the cancellation charge referred to above will then apply.

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          Tuttsi,

I found these T & Cs on the Aviva site - page 41 (cancellations) states that they will give you 14 days notice before cancelling.
          As posted above, best check your T & Cs
          Last edited by TUTTSI; 4th January 2010, 19:30:PM. Reason: added the T&C's from Aviva

Comment

Fantastic news.........

AVIVA have just called and have advised that they are setting up a brand new policy - they have not given any reason for this except we will be back on cover.

In the meantime we can pay to have a structual survey and obtain a new quotation (to include subsidence) and if the premium are 50% cheaper we can dump AVIVA as there is now no loyalty.

Not heard yet from the CEO, but I guess this maybe the reason why they are re-instating cover.

A very much happier Tuttsi xx

ps email just arrived from the CEO
            Mrs T

Thank you for your e-mail concerning your household insurance policy.

I have instructed Mike O’Sullivan in Aviva UK General Insurance to investigate the points you have raised and to ensure that the appropriate manager contacts you. I have, of course, asked him to keep me informed of the progress of his investigation.

I am sorry that you have had to write to me on this occasion and I trust that we will be able to restore your confidence in Aviva.

Regards.

Andrew Moss

Comment

Well done Tuttsi!
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

the CEO's office have now called me, I have informed them that now that they have confirmed it was all their fault and that a new policy has been started I want her now to check that no defaults were registered against us.

They have confirmed that they will be looking into the way staff are dealing with customers following my complaint. I told her that they are not logging calls correctly thus causing this confusion and unessary upset. she will be I am told be listening in to some of the calls to see what is happening. I told her the staff need to increase their training and learn to correctly update the system.

I also told her that we have been loyal for the last 35 years+ and that we expected to be treated better than we have been nad she agreed with me.

Comment

Nice one Tutts xxx

Comment

New policy arrived today despite the complaints department stating that they were not going to re-instate the policy or cover- so full cover is now in place.

Also, a hamper arrived from the CEO apologising for the way we were treated, it includes wines, cheese etc etc....aparently, the staff need to be retrained on how to deal with customers.

My advice is to everyone if you want something done to resolve an issue go right to the top.

So well done aviva for listening and dealing with this issue.

There is still one point outstanding is to whether they have registered a default against one or both of us? and we are still awaiting for confirmation on this point. If a default has been registered it is going to cost them far more than a hamper.

Tuttsi

Comment

Bloody well done Tutts xx

Complain to the top and you get results, shame it doesn't work with Cento Client Review, but it does help illustrate how a 'proper' company will deal with complaints.
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X