• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Which? Future of Banking Commission '' the big banking debate''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which? Future of Banking Commission '' the big banking debate''

Regarding this announcment 'Future of Banking Commission' launched - Legal Beagles

Which? and a cross-party group of senior MPs have launched the 'Future of Banking Commission'. The Commission will be chaired by former Shadow Home Secretary David Davies MP and will feature the participation of John McFall and Vince Cable. The Commission is proposing to hold three events early next year, which will be similar in style to a Select Committee. A report will then be published early in the life of the next government.

You can read more :- The Future of Banking Commission - Which? Campaigns

David Davis MP, John McFall MP and Vince Cable MP have all signed up to the Future of Banking Commission along with Which? chief executive Peter Vicary-Smith..
    Other members of the Future of Banking Commission include Philip Augar (formerly a Group Managing Director at Schroders’ and now a writer on the financial services industry), Clare Spottiswoode (former DG of OFGAS), David Pitt-Watson (Chair, Hermes Focus Asset Management) and Roger Bootle (Managing Director Capital Economics).

Interest from our part on '' The Commission expects to hold 3 events early in 2010. These events will be held in a Select Committee style with organisational interests and commentators invited to give evidence. After the public sessions the Commission will meet to agree the report which would be published early in the life of the next Government to influence its start up work. '' ???
    Last edited by Amethyst; 17th December 2009, 12:29:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Which? Future of Banking Commission

That's a great idea and one that has my full support:

How the Commission will work

Evidence will be sought from ordinary people themselves as well as a wide cross section of interest groups including the banking industry, academics, the Bank of England, the Financial Services Authority, Trades Unions and other consumer groups.
    To my mind, the problem is that private institutions have been given resposibility for managing the money supply without accountability.

I have no problem with companies making a profit, even a large one, but if it is on the most essential utility, the one that allows us to pay for all others, that is too much power out of our hands. How on earth do we hold them to account?

This could be a forum to redesign our banking system - the main issue is once we've done that, how do we persuade the banks to accept it?

The scale of power we are talking about is the ability to reduce a country to 3rd world status by restricting lending, deflating prices and ultimately causing mass unemployment. Familiar, eh?

Still, the Commission is a chance to get all that out on the table and raise public awareness.

To stand any chance of putting things right, the public at large must understand how our economy really works, and as simply as possible. This should be a step in the right direction.

With the fight against bank charges, we've got hold of the elephant's tail - best usher it back into the cage before we get dragged too far...

Comment

The Future of Banking Commission

• The Future of Banking Commission aims to put the wider interests of society at the heart of financial reform
      • Chaired by the Rt Hon David Davis MP, with the Rt Hon John McFall MP and Dr Vince Cable MP taking part
      • Find out how you can get involved and have your say on the future of banking

To make sure consumer views are heard by The Future of Banking Commission, Which? is hosting The Which? Big Banking Debate, culminating in a live event on the evening of Thursday 4 February. This will allow the general public to have a say in how the banking system should change.
      Which? chief executive, Peter Vicary-Smith, says, "Ordinary people are still feeling the repercussions of the financial crisis yet their voice has so far been missing from the debate about how to rebuild our banking system.
      "Everyone uses banking services in some form or another so it’s only right that the public has a say in how banks can better serve society."
      Your chance to be part of The Which? Big Banking Debate

• You can be part of this exciting event and speak directly to this influential commission. To attend, email us and put 'Big Banking Debate' as the subject of your message. It will be held in central London on Thursday 4 February between 5 and 8pm, but the venue is still to be confirmed.

• If you're unable to attend, you can still have your say. We'd like to hear your views on the financial crisis, what you think should be done now or what should be on the agenda of The Future of Banking Commission. If you have an opinion on the future of banking that you'd like to share, email us with 'Banking Commission' as the subject.

The Future of Banking Commission

The Which? Big Banking Debate is part of a broader scheme called The Future of Banking Commission, which will be the first report to look at the financial crisis from the point of view of normal people and the banking industry.
      As well as the Which? Big Banking Debate, the commission will consist of three further events early this year where bankers, politicians, regulators, trade unions and business leaders will give evidence. A report will then be published later in the year.
      Its aims are to:
      • Listen to people's concerns about banking
      • Listen to the views and concerns of industry and regulators
      • Enable the restoration of public trust and confidence in the banking system

We'll be taking our findings to the government after the 2010 general election to show whoever is in power how people want the financial crisis to be tackled.
      Restoring trust between the public and banks

The Future of Banking Commission will enable ordinary people, bankers, politicians, regulators and business leaders to get together to discuss the culture and regulation of the banking sector. We believe this is needed to restore trust between the public and the banks.
      Rt Hon David Davis MP, Rt Hon John McFall MP and Dr Vince Cable MP have all signed up to the commission along with Which? chief executive Peter Vicary-Smith.
      Other members include Philip Augar (formerly a Group Managing Director at Schroders’ and now a writer on the financial services industry), Clare Spottiswoode (former Director General of OFGAS), David Pitt-Watson (Chair, Hermes Focus Asset Management) and Roger Bootle (Managing Director Capital Economics). The Rt Rev Christopher Jamison (Abbot of Worth) will act as an adviser.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

this meeting is on the 4th Feb in London 5-8pm. you need to register your interest now if you want to attend.

Otherwise you can participate by sending your views via their website

Be part of it - Join The Which? Big Banking Debate

Whether you can make it to the event or not, you can get involved and speak directly to this influential commission.
        Attend the live debate

Register your interest in attending the Big Banking Debate. It will be held in Victoria, central London on Thursday 4 February between 5 and 8pm.
        Have your say

If you're unable to attend, you can still have your say. We'd like to hear your views on the financial crisis, what you think should be done now or what should be on the agenda of The Future of Banking Commission. If you have an opinion on the future of banking tell us about it now.
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Consumers urged to join Which? banking debate - MoneySavingExpert News

Comment

For a blackberry friendly version: http://prtv.msgfocus.com/q/1NjCG3fRr2wNDP/text-version
            For a web version: http://prtv.msgfocus.com/q/1NjCG3fRr2wNDP/wv

BIG BANKING DEBATE
            Your registration has been confirmed!

Dear mrs xxxxxx
            Thank you for taking the time to register for the Which? Big Banking Debate. We are pleased to confirm your registration for the event.
            We think that the debates should be lively and we are really looking forward to hearing your views. Dermot Murnaghan will be our host for the evening and you will have the chance to register your views on key questions using automated voting buttons. Also our team of Money Helpline experts are looking forward to meeting you face-to-face.
            Registration for the event will run from 17:00 to 17.45 at the Lindley Hall. The entrance to the Lindley Hall (part of the Royal Horticultural Halls) is located on Elverton Street.
            Your badge will be issued to you on arrival at the event.
            We look forward to welcoming you on Thursday evening.
            Which? Big Banking Events Team
            The Programme (Thursday 4 February, 17:00- 20:00)

17.00 - 17.45
            • Refreshments
            • Opportunity to talk to Which? Money Helpline experts.
            • Chance to put your views on the banks & banking crisis to camera

17.45 - 18.00
            • Welcome & Introduction from our host Dermot Murnaghan and other speakers

18.00 - 19.50
            • Group discussions facilitated by Which? staff
            • Questions, ideas and solutions from tables to be put to the Commissioners for comment
            • The chance to register your opinion through interactive voting

19.50 - 20.00
            • Closing summaries and drinks

Getting there
            The nearest underground station is Victoria which provides access to the Victoria, District and Circle lines.
            The full address is:
            The Lindley Hall
            80 Vincent Square
            London
            SW1P 2PE
            Please note that the entrance to the Lindley Hall can be found on Elverton Street.

Link to directions
            Additional information
            If you have not already informed us of any additional requirements necessary to fully participate in the conference (i.e. related to diet, mobility or other) please notify us immediately so that we can make necessary arrangements.

If you have any further queries or require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services Team on:
            020 7324 4330 or email michelle.salway@policyreview.co.uk
            P.S. Remember that you have to attend the Which? Big Banking debate to qualify for:
            • The chance to speak to experts from the Which? Money Helpline
            • £10 shopping vouchers from love2shop
            • A complimentary copy of the Which? book 'Make the most of your money' worth £10.99
            • A complimentary 3 month subscription to a Which? magazine of your choice and receive copies of some of the most recent Which? Magazines covering topics from money and computing to gardening and holidays

Click here to unsubscribe
            Policy Review TV Ltd Registered Office
            5th Floor, 7/10 Chandos Street, London, W1G 9DQ

#staysafestayhome

Comment

I'm most excited about meeting Dermot
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Now I have the right bloody thread, posting to confirm I will be there also.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

You going to the OFT meet too?

Comment

Yes and Hausfields if that is possible
                    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

John McFall MP, Chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, has announced he will not be contesting the next general election. Mr McFall, Labour MP for Dunbartonshire, has been Chair of the TSC since 2001 and has led the Committee's inquiries into a number of high profile issues.
                      He published the following statement on his website:
                      John McFall MP has announced that he will not be contesting the next General Election for the Labour & Co-operative Party in West Dunbartonshire.
                      At a meeting of his Constituency Party AGM tonight he said:
                      "After twenty three years representing my local area in Westminster and having reached normal retirement age, I see this as a natural time to move on and explore other areas of interest.
                      "I have been honoured and privileged to represent the Labour & Co-operative Party in West Dunbartonshire and I will continue to pledge my support to its future political success, both locally and nationally.
                      "In my capacity as MP for Dumbarton and subsequently West Dunbartonshire, I have been privileged to work with so many dedicated groups and individuals in the pursuit of improving the lives of everyone in our area. I have nothing but the highest regard for all who dedicate themselves to enhancing the quality of life in our local communities. It has been my privilege to work alongside them and with I wish them well in their continued endeavours on behalf of people in the area."
                      http://www.johnmcfall.com/news.aspx?i_PageID=109638
                      Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd February 2010, 13:46:PM.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Tools and I attended this after EXC, Tools and I, met with the OFT yesterday which you can read his breif account of here - Legal Beagles - View Single Post - OFT v Banks Judgment 25th November 2009 - 9.45am- Supreme Court - Test case

It was a great night (if you are interested in what people want for the future of banking that is)

Around 250 people attended the evening at the Royal Horticultural Halls between 5pm and 8pm last night. We arrived for Coffee, and nibbles , and were seated on round tables of around 10 per table each table with a 'facilitator' from Which?.

It was a fantastic way for the 'future of banking commission' to collect data from a range of consumers about their thoughts on banking.

Speaking were Dermot Murnahan(newsreader chappy), David Davies MP, Peter Vicary Smith (head of Which?), David Pitt-Watson (David Pitt-Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Philip Augar (ex banker turned writer @ FSA) and another couple peeps who I forget their names.

The overall messages which came out of the evening were

• People want the ''UTILITY'' banks (that word was used a lot!) ie the RETAIL side of banking seperated from the Investment side of banking. (read The Turner Report and google Glass-Steagall if u want more info on this idea)
                        • People want banks to be broken back up to smaller units.
                        • People want a return to proper customer service and the traditional 'bank manager'
                        • People want Fairer Charges, greater control and better transparency.
                        • People want better Regulation.

We heard from people who have never had problems with their banks and who are primarily in credit, who don't want to see an end to free banking (something being addressed in the Financial Services Bill forcing every bank to offer at least ONE freeifincredit current account and ONE free savings account which pays interest) and people who have lost their homes through the actions of the banks.

A LOT of ideas were put forward, one being an independant 'consumer' on the board of each bank, banks billing people for their accounts rather than taking their fees directly, better education in schools and universitys, plain english contracts (being address by the OFT market study announced yesterday) and so on. I presume Which? will be writing up the event and I'll link to that when they do.

We also spoke to Dominic Lindley who has request we put our submissions into the commission (so this will tie in with the work we are doing for the OFT PCA future of banking reports).

There was a 'comments' board which we wrote a fair few of our issues on, all our notes and discussions have gone to the commission to be compiled to go to 'the next government'. There was also a VOXBox thingy (where you talk into a camera with your views)

Yes it might of been a 'marketing' event and to make it look like something could be done when really not a lot can, but I think it was worthwhile and is worth keeping an eye on the Future of Banking commission.

On the way out we had a glass of wine and got given a goody bag of which? stuff and vouchers

A lovely lady we were chatting to, who has seen her pension pot dwindle and really misses having 'customer service' wrote down the lyrics to an old 'worker's rights song' that just seems appropriate for the theme of the evening ....

Piccie

Piccie of meeeeeeeee when we first arrived
                        Last edited by Amethyst; 5th February 2010, 12:44:PM.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: Which? Future of Banking Commission '' the big banking debate''

more piccies from WHICH? site

notice anything lol (Tools is a cheeky git !)

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Report from Which?

Eight in ten people (81%) don't think that banks are changing for the better following the financial crisis, says Which?

This was just one of the revelations to come from the Which? Big Banking Debate, held in London last Thursday. The debate, which was attended by over 300 people, gave the public a unique opportunity to voice their views about the financial crisis and how banks can change for the better.

Nearly three quarters (74%) of those asked said that banks should be broken up to create more competition. 96% said that banks act more in their own interests than that of consumers while almost half (47%) of those asked said that the best way to improve the banks overall would be to separate the retail and wholesale side of banks.

The findings will feed into The Future of Banking Commission, which will be holding its first evidence session tomorrow afternoon at the Riverbank Park Plaza near Westminster. There will be two further sessions on Thursday 25th February and Thursday 18th March. Witnesses include Robert Peston, Mervyn King, Lord Myners and Lord Turner.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Tuesday 9th February, Riverbank Park Plaza (18 Albert Embankment SE1 7TJ) – 13:30-17:00
                              David Harker – Citizens Advice
                              Toynbee Hall – Sian McLean
                              Adam Philips – Financial Services Consumer Panel
                              Jeff Prestridge – Mail on Sunday
                              Robert Peston – BBC Business Editor
                              Will Hutton – The Observer
                              John Wright – FSB
                              Brendan Barber - TUC
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X