• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paid for goods on-line and the display price was wrong ... Who's right ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid for goods on-line and the display price was wrong ... Who's right ?

Hello

Went on-line and bought some office furniture, it seemed like a good deal. Ordered it, paid for it and they sent a confirmation with all the details.

They then left me a message explaining that the goods had been priced incorrectly on the site, and instead of only paying £121 - I now owed them a further £469, and I could call to either cancel the order or pay the full amount.

I rang them back and they dug their heels in saying they were within their rights to withdraw the sale, I pointed out that we've got a contract as I had an order confirmation, she told me they would be taking the money but would refund it.

So I said keep the order on hold, and the money, as I wanted to look into it further. I'm sure I have certain rights in this issue - I've paid (and they will be taking the money) - they've confirmed the order, and admitted it was their mistake about the incorrect pricing.

Anybody got any ideas - surely I have some rights here ?

Re: Paid for goods on-line and the display price was wrong ... Who's right ?

I saw practically the same scenario on Watchdog the other week. The outcome of that was that it was in the T & C online that the company can change/withdraw the price at any time.

However that said, because the complainer had gone to Watchdog and as a measure of goodwill the company actually gave her the item for free in the end.

You could try CAB office to see if you have a case, but personally I think thats it.

Comment

Doesn't sound too hopeful, and doesn't sound fair either. But I'd agree that they should meet me part way with a good-will gesture, shan't hold my breath on that one. Thanks for your reply though, will try the CAB.

Comment

im sure cetelco will give you the in depth reasons why they are within their rights to cancel. :okay:

Comment

It is in English Law that the company may cancel a sale if a mistake was made in the price and not merely terms and conditions. This goes back to a case from seventy years ago. Hartog v Colin & Shields [1939] set the precedent and states that a mistake may vitiate any agreement made. The Court held that the purchaser could not reasonably have supposed that the offer expressed the real intention of the person making it and must have been aware it was a mistake. The purchaser therefore did not, by his acceptance of the offer, make a binding contract with the seller.

There are other posts on this subject, look here Sold at wrong price???? - Legal Beagles here Legal Beagles and here Advice on dispute needed - Legal Beagles

I appreciate that you feel it is not fair, but surely it is not fair that you are able to purchase £590 worth of goods for £121 just because somebody made a mistake and why do you feel you are owed any goodwill?

Comment

Can't argue with your last point ... fair comment.
            That said I did write them a very nice email about what a great company they were etc, and they agreed to let me have the stuff at cost. It wasn't a great discount, but it was a discount all the same.
            Thanks anyway

Comment

Happy days, at least you got something for your troubles.

Comment

I am in the middle of such a dispute. I have purchased a sports season ticket and was charged £215 the actual price is £341. I can accept the above case in law although i did question the price at the time and the lady said no it was a special offer. She was of course wrong, but does represent the company. At the very least there is a training issue there and a measure of good will would be appreciated as we have been calling on the phone and visited the ground to sort this out.

Comment

Jarod, you've just read the thread, so why do you think your circumstances warrent a different answer?

If they play nice, fine. But it's hardly worthwhile commenting on this already ancient thread just to have a moan about a scenario that is as clear cut as this.

Get over it and move on.
                  My Blog
                  http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Not quite "clear cut" this is the law, remember?

Take a look here, because you may be able to do something after all.

Argentarius' holiday woes - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Loss of Bargain advice please! - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

I hate it when somebody shoots me down in flames.
                      My Blog
                      http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X