• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tools v Barclaycard ( Overlimit / Late Payment Charges ) **Refunded In 9 Days**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools v Barclaycard ( Overlimit / Late Payment Charges ) **Refunded In 9 Days**

Have today finally got round to claiming back something myself, namely overlimit / late payment charges on my Barclaycard account, I estimate the charges to be around £100 - £150 but am not entirely sure without sendinf off a DPA request.

See how it goes and will keep everyone updated......................cos I'm good at that

Barclaycard Customer Services
    Barclaycard House
    PO Box 5592
    Northampton
    NN4 1ZY

Account Number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to insist that you refund the penalty charges incurred on the above account since inception. These are listed as “Late Payment Charge” and “Over Credit Limit Charge” amongst others.

I am aware that these charges are unlawful at Common Law & Statute. This is further reinforced by the Office of Fair Trading report of 05/04/06 which concluded that these charges are unfair to the consumer. In addition, following a recent Freedom of Information request to the Office of Fair Trading I was informed that:

Following consultation with eight leading credit card issuers we have concluded that default charges in most credit card contracts across the sector are highly unfair in terms of the UnfairTerms in consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCRs) and therefore unlikely to be enforceable against consumers”

If you believe that they are not penalties, then will you please demonstrate this by giving me a full breakdown of the costs you have incurred as a result of my breaches, in order to prove to me that your penalties really do reflect your actual losses.

I therefore insist that you refund to me, by way of cheque, the total amount of all charges incurred plus any interest accrued at the contractual rate thereon. I will not accept partial repayment nor will I accept that the Office of Fair Trading report of 05/04/06 deemed £12 to be an acceptable charge, as it clearly did not. I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive a refund in full which would return me to the position had these charges and interest thereon not been incurred.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall refer the matter directly to the Financial Ombudsman and Office of Fair Trading for further investigation.

Should I not receive satisfaction in this way, I shall then seek recovery by way of a County Court claim against you.

Yours faithfully,

Mr Bertrand Porkwhistle OBE, MBE, B&Q, DIY, D.I.S.C.O..........she was D.I.S.C.O
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Re: Tools v Barclaycard ( Overlimit / Late Payment Charges )

Good for you hun, go for it !:beagle:

Comment

For a follow up OFT842 specifically 1.14. It is one of my personal favourites(yes I am sad!!)

Comment

Just tagging along for a laugh

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
          Have today finally got round to claiming back something myself, namely overlimit / late payment charges on my Barclaycard account, I estimate the charges to be around £100 - £150 but am not entirely sure without sendinf off a DPA request.

See how it goes and will keep everyone updated......................cos I'm good at that

I just hope I live long enough for the update

Comment

Got mine back from barclaycard today took one letter total 2 accounts £550

cds

Comment

OH got his one charge back with just one phone call. I am thinking there may be other charges from a few years back which he hasn't noticed, albeit probably not many. Methinks tis time to SAR them on his behalf. (He'll thank me one day for being able to do his signature so well lol)

See who does the update first.......
              Is no longer here

Comment

Letter received today from Barclaycard, will scan it up later.......................possibly........cos I`m good at that too

Basically they are refunding me £180 of charges plus £19.62 interest at "the contractual rate" totalling £199.62

The balance is currently £190 odd so I claculate I may be a few quid in credit unless they apply interest for this month.

Result!! I didn't have to SAR them to calculate my charges myself but am happy to settle at that figure, clear any outstanding amount on the card and then close the account.

One more down, several more to go, but another one ticked off my mental list.

I urge anyone who has been putting off asking for a refund of their credit card charges to do it now. Every little helps.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

So basically you sent them a letter which said "Gimme all my charges back since the account opened". Didn't SAR them to get statements (saving a tenner). And they wrote back and said "this is how much we owe you, we'll stick it on your account" And it took 9 days, start to finish.

Seems a pretty good way of going about things to me!

I am going to copy and paste your letter and send it off for OH tomorrow, duly signed on his behalf.

Thanks Tools, you little trailblazer you.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

Thats about the thick of it yes Wendy, a little surprised myself how quick they have dealt with it, I have yet to check my account balance but will let you know

Comment

Right, letter done and ready for posting later. Have also done letter to OH's MBNA card along the same lines. Will let you know what happens.
                      Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
                        Right, letter done and ready for posting later. Have also done letter to OH's MBNA card along the same lines. Will let you know what happens.
                        Start a thread Wends is easier then for people to follow what you done and how it went. Enaid x

Comment

Grats Tools well I finally posted a letter to RBoS yesterday to start the ball rolling on my old CCJ bank account!

Wish me luck!

Lumi x
                          Luminol x

Comment

Good luck to you both Wendy and Lumi

Comment

Re: Tools v Barclaycard ( Overlimit / Late Payment Charges ) **Refunded In 9 Days**

Well done Bert, I too shall be copying a pasting your letter and sending off to any that I may have missed. But not this weekend, I have a few old reprobates to have a drink with in Birmingham rofl.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X