• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Proposed Group Litigation Orders : Poll and Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Group Litigation Orders : Poll and Discussion

Proposed Group Litigation Orders (GLOs)

Important: If you are interested in becoming involved in a Group Litigation Order, please reply to this post stating:
    ·which bank (or banks) you have a claim against
    ·whether you are eligible for legal aid (see below)
    Please do not post any additional information at this stage, as you may be contacted later by private message for any additional information.that we need.

The issue of bank charges, their lawfulness and their continued use has been completely overtaken by the OFT test case proceedings. Attempts by individual consumers to find redress, either through the banks’ own complaints procedures, or through the courts, have now ground to a halt whilst the test case continues and whilst the FSA waiver remains in place.

Although the OFT and the FSA are undertaking serious and much needed work through the test-case and the PCA market study, there are legitimate concerns within consumer circles that the interests of the consumer are not being adequately represented or protected.

The judgment of Smith J. makes it clear that bank charges are subject to the requirement of fairness, and the OFT has now written to the banks with their preliminary conclusion that these charges are unfair. Nevertheless the banks are still imposing these charges with impunity and routinely ignoring consumer complaints, citing the FSA waiver and the test case as justification. Without any proper redress through the court system, consumers are becoming increasingly frustrated by this apparent unequal treatment, particularly those consumers suffering from financial hardship.

Given the current financial crises affecting the UK banking industry, it is unsurprising that the banks are not seeking a quick resolution to the issue of bank charges. There are already in excess of 65,000 “bank charge” claims in the court system, and OFT figures suggest that in excess of 12 million people could have a claim against their bank; the final compensation figure could be well in excess of £10billion.

Even when the test case is fully resolved some time in late 2009 or early 2010, there will remain a number of outstanding legal issues, since neither the OFT nor the FSA have any statutory powers to bring proceedings on behalf of consumers. These issues include, but are not limited to:
    • What can be recovered by consumers? The full charges, the interest on those charges? What about any consequential losses, such as a resulting bankruptcy or the repossession of a family home?
    • What rate of interest can consumers reclaim: the statutory 8%, compound interest or the contractual interest that the banks have imposed?
    • Does the Statute of Limitations and the 6-year rule apply to bank-charge claims?

And whilst the test case continues, there are pressing concerns for many claimants:
    • Can consumers facing financial difficulty bring an injunction to stop these charges? Can all consumers?
    • Can the stays on cases involving financial hardship be challenged?
    • Can the ongoing FSA waiver be challenged in light of recent developments?

With legitimate concerns that the consumer’s interests are not being properly advanced or protected, it is essential for consumers to be properly represented. Whilst no individual could be expected to have the resources to fund their own legal team, collectively consumers could have a much greater say in how their interests are protected through the use of Group Litigation Orders.

A Group Litigation Order (‘GLO’) is an order made by a Court to manage claims which give rise to common or related issues of fact or law (the ‘GLO issues’). Essentially, one claim is used as a test case to deal with the GLO issues, and all claims which are proceeding on related issues of fact or law are attached to that claim by way of a Group Register. Any ruling that is made in respect of the test case will be binding on all other cases on the Group Register. This is sometimes referred to as a “class action”.

The benefits of GLOs in these cases against the banks are substantial: a GLO claim is automatically assigned to the multi-track, and so funding can be obtained from the Legal Services Commission if a sufficient number of claimants are eligible for Legal Aid. This would allow for proper representation by solicitors and enable a litigation team to be put together for consumers. Preliminary discussions have taken place with the Legal Services Commission and funding could, in principle, be granted for such GLOs. This would allow consumers to have their own interest advanced properly by a substantial legal team, and ensure that no deals are struck behind closed doors by the banks and the regulators without their involvement.

But before more detailed discussions and preparatory steps can be taken, it is important to establish whether there is sufficient interest from claimants for these GLOs to go ahead. There have been indications from the Courts that this may be the most sensible way to deal with the tens of thousands of claims already in the system, and the hundreds of thousands that may well follow. It should be noted that a Court has powers to order such a GLO of its own initiative and can add additional claimants to the Group Register. It may be better, however, for such initiative to come from consumers themselves.

To that end, please take a moment to consider the following:

If you have already issued your claim, would you be interested in joining a Group Litigation Order?

If the answer to that question is Yes, please reply to this post stating:
    ·which bank (or banks) you have a claim against
    ·whether you are eligible for legal aid (see below)
    Please do not post any additional information at this stage, as you may be contacted later by private message for any additional information. Please note there is a separate post for discussion of the proposed GLOs, so please do not post any comments or discussion within this post.
    Once the data from this poll has been collated, a further post will set out progress on the current discussions with solicitors and the Legal Services Commission in respect of GLOs.

Legal Aid criteria. If you can answer YES to both of the following criteria, you should be eligible for legal aid:
    • Income: is your gross income £2530 per month or less, or are you in receipt of Income Support, Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Based Employment and Support Allowance or Guarantee Credit?

• Capital: is your capital (savings, etc) less than £8000, or are you in receipt of Income Support, Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Based Employment and Support Allowance or Guarantee Credit?

When calculating your capital, you should include any equity which is over £100,000 in your property (though you can deduct up to £100,000 for any mortgage on that property).

Thank you for taking the time to read this information and responding to this post. Hopefully, with your support, we can join enough claimants together on GLOs to properly protect the interests of consumers and to ensure a fair result on compensation for these bank charges.

Thomas Brennan
    Barrister
    Atlas Chambers
    Yes, and I think I am eligible for legal aid
    55.56%
    Yes, but I am not eligible for legal aid
    38.89%
    No, I do not want to be involved
    5.56%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Tom_Brennan; 18th December 2008, 15:08:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Proposed Group Litigation Orders : Poll and Discussion

What is the timescale from lodging a case to getting to court?
    What steps/barriers would you believe would be placed in the way of getting a GLO?
    Would it not be starting from scratch again re OFT test case?

Comment

Count me in!

My claim already approaches the issue from a misrepresentation angle under the trades descriptions act (aswell as penalties & fairness). I'd love to know if it is applicable. I'll find out eventually, but if it does, then together with the recent PCA report, it could create a net that they can't escape on the issue of deliberate concealment under SOLA.

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
        What is the timescale from lodging a case to getting to court?
        Would it not be starting from scratch again re OFT test case?
        As noted above in the OP, this poll is in respect of claims that have already been issued.

No, the GLO is not intended to cover matters already covered by the Test Case. It is to address the matters raised in the OP which are not within the scope of the Test Case.

Comment

I have only written to my bank to request charges back , should I be making a court claim?

Comment

I voted no as I don't have any current claims in court and wouldn't meet Legal Aid requirements either.

Comment

Hi Tom, Our paths crossed two years back when I had a court case on exemplary damages same as you. I am probably the ideal test case. Pensioner on Income Support with about a dozen staid cases before the Blackpool County Court.
              I would prefer a straightforward class action before the European Courts of Justice.. Everyone pays £10 to produce a fighting fund of £10 million approx.
              Please pm me for more details

Some of the issues will amuse you like my application for an injunction to prevent banks paying shareholders a dividend out of stolen money!

Regards

Bankrupt
              Last edited by Paule; 17th December 2008, 09:48:AM. Reason: Removed Email Address

Comment

Great idea. Tanz if your not affected should you be voting

Tom if the funds can be found why not an advert in say the Guardian or the Sun or both. Such an ad as well as giving those from other sites an opportunity to take part, would I'm sure create even more interest via the media in the campaign against charges

Comment

The other forums have been asked for the same information from members.

Discussion on Proposed Group Litigation Orders - The Consumer Forums
                  and
                  Proposed Group Litigation Orders (discussion) - Penalty Charges Forum
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

So no chance of an ad then? Or why not a brief puff to the press who may write a story thereby exposing the plan to a wider public

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
                      Great idea. Tanz if your not affected should you be voting
                      Possibly not but to be able to see the results a vote needs to be cast, therefore if there was an option to abstain from voting or something that said this doesn't affect me currently but I would be interested in the future or something then I could have clicked that. As it didn't I chose to vote in the no I don't want to be involved option instead.

I posted to explain afterwards.

Comment

Hi Tom,

You can certainly count me in on any action you see fit to issue against any of these leeches, who have had it too good for too long at our expense. As you know I may well be qualified to be included in the action!!!

Best wishes

Dougal

:merrychristmas:

Comment

Originally posted by TANZARELLI View Post
                          Possibly not but to be able to see the results a vote needs to be cast, therefore if there was an option to abstain from voting or something that said this doesn't affect me currently but I would be interested in the future or something then I could have clicked that. As it didn't I chose to vote in the no I don't want to be involved option instead.

I posted to explain afterwards.
                          But if don't meet the criteria then your no vote simply diminishes the overall outcome

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
                            So no chance of an ad then? Or why not a brief puff to the press who may write a story thereby exposing the plan to a wider public
                            Indeed. The GLC and OFT I believe are on board so I think publicity would be welcomed. It is a very limited audience on the forums as I think many people who have stayed claims have burgered orf until some positive news comes out from the courts.
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              many people who have stayed claims have burgered orf until some positive news comes out from the courts.
                              Newsletter email time then!

And updating LB Facebook
                              Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
                              Me VS Abbey Win
                              BIL HSBC Credit Card
                              BIL EGG
                              BIL HSBC Loan
                              BIL PPI Win

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X