• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Saffy's Mum's Estate and the DWP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffy's Mum's Estate and the DWP

Well as a few of you know my Mum passed away on 21 July and with the help of a couple of friends here I have now done everything ie The Probate, Property, transferred Bank Accounts and various other things and thought I've got through the worst of it really, except for the clearing of the house and getting it ready because I'm going to rent it out.

The other day I received the following letter and am wondering if anyone else has experience of this.

From: Dept for Work and Pensions, Recovery from Estates Leeds, Debt Management.

Dear Sir/Madam,

About the estate of my Mum

I am sorry to have to write to you at this difficult time. I understand that you are the personal representative for my Mum and are dealing with the estate.
    We need to check the information about the estate with details held at the time benefit was paid. The law allows us to ask for this information.
    Please fill in the form enclosed with this letter and send it back to us by 11/10/2008. We also need to know if any assets are not included in the estate because they have gone to a joint owner. If you need more time to reply please let us know.
    We will let you know whether or not we need to make further enquiries within 20 working days.
    Please note that this enquiry could lead to a claim against the estate and should be treated as such. Therefore, we strongly advise you not to distribute the estate.
    If you want help or advice about this letter, please get in touch with us on xxxxxxxx
    We have included some information pages with this letter that explain what we do and what you need to do. You can also get leaflet D49. What to do after a death in England and Wales from any Dept for Work and Pensions office. The Citizens Advice Bureau or local law centre can also give you free advice.

Yours faithfully

Then another page which needs filling in

List of assets in the estate of my Mum (I can list it all if anyone wants to know, but basically its, bank accounts, property (including where she lived), stocks, shares, bonds, pensions etc)

and then

Please state the amount of the funeral and administration costs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Has the estate been distributed yes/no if yes state the date.

Was an advertisment pleased for the creditors in the London Gazette yes/no

well thats basically it, over to you guys.

Re: Saffy's Mum's Estate and the DWP

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/d...49_april06.pdf

Thats the leaflet

What benefit was paid ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

To be honest I don't really know what benefits she was receiving, Obviously she got her pension, and her yearly cold weather payment. I'll have to take a look at a bank statement and see if anything shows up on there.

brb

Found this dated 15/3/2008

HOW YOU BENEFIT IS MADE UP

basic state pension £90.70
      Pre 97 additional state pension £36.62
      less contracted out deduction £9.56
      total payable £27.06
      Graduated reitrement benefit £5.96
      Age Addition £0.25
      Attendance Allowance £44.85

Total amount each week £168.82

I have to go out now for a while and will come back laters, thanks for helping me.
      Last edited by Sapphire; 27th September 2008, 09:12:AM.

Comment

Sapphy, Mr Tutts said the best place for advice in this matter is the CAB as they would have had a lot of experience with this type of claim. Unless someone on LB has a better knowledge.

These departments do not write unless they feel that there is something for them to gain. Without knowing all the ins and outs of your late mothers benefits, maybe it is possible that she did not declare all.....(may be not deliberately) this is just pure a guess reading inbetween the lines of that letter.

xxxxxxx

Comment

Could be lack of NI contributions, pension credit overpayments etc. Cold weather payments are means tested ie you get them if you receive pension credits which in turn are means tested in your mums case maybe assumed income of £1 per £500 of capital excluding her house.

Might be clearer rather than guessing to just give them a buzz on Monday and ask them what benefit they are referring to.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

The Attendance Allownace, am not sure if it is paid in advance or not.
            I have the info but it doesnt tell you how it's paid

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb/...e_130106_2.htm

Comment

ahhh ta saffy. Wondered how Nelly knew that lol.

Attendance Allowance - eligibility : Directgov - Disabled people
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Tools has had a similar letter regarding benefit paid after his MIL's passing.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sorry to hear about your mom sapphy, I too lost my mom in 96 so know what you've gone through. Thoughts are with you.

Comment

I called the number on the letter and have been advised that its to do with Pension Credit that she was receiving and if they carried on paying it after she had passed away. The guy was quite nice (even though he was from Yorkshire) pmsl, and said that he could see that I'd informed them of her passing away very quickly after the event and that everything should be in order.
                    Apparently if you don't hear from them for 20 days after they receive your reply then its all done and dusted.

Now the thing I have found out is that its the Probate people that inform the DWP that the Probate is complete and who is looking after everything.

Comment

Cool nothing to worry about then by the sounds
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                        The guy was quite nice (even though he was from Yorkshire) pmsl, .
                        Sappy don't be Yorkshire-ist roflol
                        Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
                          Sappy don't be Yorkshire-ist roflol
                          See I knew it, I've been pulled on being an 'ist again :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                            See I knew it, I've been pulled on being an 'ist again :rofl:

Mmmmmmmmmmm using the silent P again I see :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                              Mmmmmmmmmmm using the silent P again I see :tinysmile_aha_t:
                              Thats what I was on Saturday, hence why I felt like sh t yesterday :mmph:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X