• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Indemnity Clauses in Mortgage Contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indemnity Clauses in Mortgage Contracts

Following the guidelines on unfair terms thought it may be worth looking at this more in depth.

Ref London Scottish Mortgages unfair indemnity clause ruling
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_res...come1/2010.pdf

The term appeared to give the firm extensive discretion to impose charges on consumers and there was no concept of reasonableness. The words '… or charged by the Lender…' seemed to give the firm particularly wide discretion. The term stated:
    'You must pay on a full and unqualified indemnity basis all fees, expenses, taxes, liabilities and legal and other costs, including VAT if applicable on all such amounts, incurred or charged by the Lender…' This may not have met the requirements of Regulation
    5(1), which provides that a term shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

The term appeared to allow the firm to pass on the costs of proceedings (e.g. even if proceedings began because of the firm's negligence or the firm was unsuccessful in those proceedings). 'You must pay on a full and unqualified indemnity basis all fees, expenses, taxes, liabilities and legal and other costs … incurred or charged by the Lender in or incidental to:- (a) the preparation, completion, registration, administration, protection and enforcement (including the costs of any proceedings) of this mortgage…' This may not have met the requirements of Regulation 5(1).

OFT guidelines
    5.3 Other kinds of penal provisions which may be unfair are damages and costs
    clauses saying that the supplier can:
    • claim all his costs and expenses, not just his net costs
    • claim both his costs and his loss of profit where this would lead to
    being compensated twice over for the same loss
    • claim his legal costs on an 'indemnity' basis that is, all costs, not just
    costs reasonably incurred. The words 'indemnity' and 'indemnify' are
    also objectionable as legal jargon – see below, Part IV, Group 19(b).

18.2.7 Indemnities against risk. Terms under which the supplier must be
    'indemnified' for costs which could arise through no fault of the consumer's
    are open to comparable objections, particularly where the supplier could
    himself be at fault. The word 'indemnify' itself is legal jargon which, if
    understood at all, is liable to be taken as a threat to pass on legal and other
    costs incurred without regard to reasonableness. Clearer and fairer wording
    to replace legal jargon of this kind is illustrated in Group 19(b) of Annexe A.
    19.5 The underlying purpose of Regulation 7 also explains why the OFT does not
    restrict its objections to obviously obscure jargon. Relatively straightforward
    technicalities, such as references to 'indemnity' (see paragraph 18.2.7) and
    'statutory rights' (see paragraph 1.5), can have onerous implications of
    which consumers are likely to be unaware.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 19th September 2008, 09:42:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Indemnity Clauses in Mortgage Contracts

So does this mean that the OFT are looking at outlawing the Indemnity Charges ? Or am I being dim (again) ?

Comment

They are looking into the fairness of them as per the unfair terms regulations, if they then decide they are indeed an unfair term no doubt they will ask for them to be removed as per my post here OFT publishes new guidance on fairness in consumer contracts - Legal Beagles.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I had a mortgage with London Scottish (now redeemed) . does this mean I may be in with a shout on clawing back any of the outragous fees taken ?
        The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Not really, certainly not as yet. The indemnity clauses need a lot of looking into as do the mortgage contracts with reference to the CCA. There is work going on in these areas but for the foreseeable future reclaiming any ERC, unless it was seriously over the odds, is going to be a no no.

As yours is London Scottish you might look at the contract as see what the actual terms are - if they are those deemed as maybe unfair you might be able to start researching.

ERCs are not penalty charges as such so in order for any reclaim to be viable they do have to be unfair in themselves.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X