• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

John Lewis offering ppi refund but only back to when I was made redundant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lewis offering ppi refund but only back to when I was made redundant

Need some advice please.

i sent a claim to John Lewis for a refund of my ppi, the did not uphold the claim but because I did not claim on the policy 2 years ago when I was made redundant they have agreed to pay back all ppi premiums from then, as long as I do not take any further legal action regarding this complaint.

i think there is something fishy going on here, please let me know if you think I should just except there offer or not....?

it's no where near the full refund and they say they can only go back 6 years???????

thanks
    Tags: None

Re: John Lewis offering ppi refund but only back to when I was made redundant

Originally posted by Csimms View Post
    Need some advice please.

i sent a claim to John Lewis for a refund of my ppi, the did not uphold the claim but because I did not claim on the policy 2 years ago when I was made redundant they have agreed to pay back all ppi premiums from then, as long as I do not take any further legal action regarding this complaint.

i think there is something fishy going on here, please let me know if you think I should just except there offer or not....?

it's no where near the full refund and they say they can only go back 6 years???????

thanks

Hi and welcome

Many have been successful in making reclaims even from older years, 90's, maybe even earlier, and if its only recently you became aware of the mis selling and that it applies to you, you make this clear to them.

So I take it, you did not realise you had PPI, or you would have made a claim when you were made redundant?
    If this is the case, you need to also raise this up with them, and state that if you had known you had the cover then you would have obviously made a claim to avoid hardship while you were made redundant.

Tell them, you are not satisfied with the offer, and believe you have rights to reclaim all the ppi you have paid, plus all the relevant interest, because of the reasons you have.

Was this the final decision? If so was there details enclosed of your entitlement of making a complaint to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS)? a leaflet usually?

Comment

Hi Di,

thanks for your advise, I did make them aware that I did not claim when made redundant 2years ago due to mis selling of the ppi hence their offer. This is what they said

'Unfortunately, we confirm that we are unable to uphold your complaint.'

'notwithstanding the above , and without prejudice, a business decision has been made to refund all ppi premiums since you were made redundant in August 2010. Please note that we are only obliged to retain records for a maximum of six years, the refund is based on premiums we have record of.

This payment is being offered on the basis that no further claims or legal action is taken over this matter.'

In my mind I think that if they are willing to back pay me for the redundancy then they are accepting that I did not know I was covered for this within the ppi. So therefore they should be paying back all the premiums pluc interest?

They have not stated that this is their final response. They have however noted that I can go to the fos. But they have also givin details and said that is this has not satisfied me I can contact them to discuss.

just a little concerned that if I do not accept the offer and try and fight them they may withdraw this offer and I'll get nothing.

please help

thanks

claire

Comment

Hi Claire

You do what you feel is best for you, as they have not confirmed it the final decision, and kept it open by the looks of it, so if you do have further information you feel you not had the opportunity to forward to them, or if you feel they totally overlooked your complaint, you can write with this information until a final decision is given, despite the fact they did say you are able to at this stage complain to the FOS.

If you do write with further information and they fail to reconsider going all the way with this, at least you still do have the FOS, but it may just take some time before they able to deal with it.
        Maybe you could write to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and raise your concerns of this matter, state that you are not exactly rejecting the offer but do believe that the fact they have agreed to uphold your complaint as from the date of redundancy (as you said in your post), that in your opinion they are agreeing the policy was not suitable for you, so are concerned on why this is, and why they're unable to accept the PPI was mis sold from the start of the policy, and not just from when you were made redundant. Tell the CEO you want this looked into further before you decide on what direction to take on this matter, as you feel it may have been overlooked.

As said above, you can then after take to the FOS, for them to consider if they fail to agree to refund all premiums and interest paid from when it was mis sold to you.
        Hopefully they will consider this and overturn in your favour in full.

Feel free to wait for other opinions on this as well Claire, hopefully someone will be along at some point soon. x

Good luckx

Comment

Thanks Di,

any ideas on the CEO of John Lewis and their email.

claire

Comment

Thanks Di,

any ideas on the CEO of John Lewis and their email.

claire
            Your welcome Claire.

Will see if i can find the details for you now ;-) x

Comment

Claire

this is the one I found here.....
              andy_street@johnlewis.co.uk

Just click on it to email direct to Mr Andy Street, and make it clear in the subject line for eg "Payment Protection Insurance Refund query".

Another suggestion is, you could ask your local MP to write/email the CEO on your behalf, will leave that for you to decide.

On the email, ask them to confirm acknowledgement, and also ask if they can get back to you by 7 to 14 days maximum in order for you to know on what avenue you will be deciding from there. ;-)

Comment

Hi Di,

just a quick update, I had an email back from HSBC who seem to be dealing with John Lewis ppi an they have overturned the decision on my favour. I will hopefully get the letter tomorrow confirming the amount. I mentioned to them that I had a pre existing medical condition at point of sale and after sending a few bits of info they overturned the decision.

I am now sending another email to santander re the same thing. I didn't even think about my medical condition even being a problem with the ppi but seems it is.

thanks for all you help.

just one more thing, I hav made two complaints to santander regarding ppi for two separate cards, one is being further investigated and the other was again refused. I'm sure if I should wait to hear back from the first one before pursuing the other. What do u think.?

claire

Comment

Hi Di,

just a quick update, I had an email back from HSBC who seem to be dealing with John Lewis ppi an they have overturned the decision on my favour. I will hopefully get the letter tomorrow confirming the amount. I mentioned to them that I had a pre existing medical condition at point of sale and after sending a few bits of info they overturned the decision.

I am now sending another email to santander re the same thing. I didn't even think about my medical condition even being a problem with the ppi but seems it is.

thanks for all you help.

just one more thing, I hav made two complaints to santander regarding ppi for two separate cards, one is being further investigated and the other was again refused. I'm sure if I should wait to hear back from the first one before pursuing the other. What do u think.?

claire
                  Hi claire
                  that is wonderful, well done to you!

Your very welcome.

How long ago was it you made the complaint to Santander, the one that is being further investigated?
                  Yes you can see what they come back with first and take it from that one, no problem x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X