• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking Utility company to court for loss of earning and harassment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Utility company to court for loss of earning and harassment

I noticed in March 2014 that First Utility were not taking my direct debit for nearly 6 months and called them to tell them this. We then set up another direct debit, which they also failed to use. I then started receiving debt collection letters saying that unless I paid them in full I would be liable for court costs etc. I then took them to the Ombudsman who found in my favour and set out conditions for me to leave and compensation of £50 which should be paid.
    This was in July 2014 and I am still waiting to be allowed to leave. I have catalogued every phone call, email and letter sent which is relentless and paramount to harassment.

It took them 6 months to agree a payment plan which I had to peruse them to do. I then received a threatening letter to say I was in arrears with this plan when I wasn't.

I have now opened a county court claim for £2500 compensation for loss of earnings and harassment. This afternoon I received and email from someone at First Utility to say that they are now offering me and additional £100 compensation However my bill has gone up an additional £204 in 3 days from a letter I received 3 days ago, and these are based on non existent readings. She also indicated that should this go to court I will loose and will be liable for the court costs.
    I have attempted to leave First Utility twice now, both times being told I would be allowed to leave, and then receiving emails and letters saying I can't as I have a substantial arrears.
    They have admitted their failings and yet I am still no closer to settling this matter
    Do I have a legal claim to this compensation?

Re: Taking Utility company to court for loss of earning and harassment

Have you filed a claim with the County Court?

Comment

Yes - The email I received today was in response to the claim I filed.

Comment

If you are claiming 2500 and they offer that they must be in cloud cuckoo land if there is a figure between their offer and your claim try for that remember you can win or lose nothing is guaranteed in the Court

Comment

I think you've been watching too many tv progs.
          £2500 claim for harassment and loss of earnings?
          I suggest you withdraw that claim.
          You'll end up paying their costs as well as yours if this ever comes to a hearing.
          The court process is to recoup your losses; to restore you to the position you were in before the events happened. Definitely not to line your pockets.
          It's a shame you didn't come here first, before issuing your claim. You will have wasted your initial fee.
          How did you lose earnings?
          What loss have you sustained due to harassment?
          Last edited by sean5302; 15th March 2015, 11:53:AM.

Comment

Protection from Harassment Act 1997
            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/40/section/3

Civil remedy.

(1)
            An actual or apprehended breach of section 1 may be the subject of a claim in civil proceedings by the person who is or may be the victim of the course of conduct in question.

(2)
            On such a claim, damages may be awarded for (among other things) any anxiety caused by the harassment

Comment

3)Where—

(a)in such proceedings the High Court or a county court grants an injunction for the purpose of restraining the defendant from pursuing any conduct which amounts to harassment, and

(b)the plaintiff considers that the defendant has done anything which he is prohibited from doing by the injunction,

I see no reference by the OP to having an injunction in place, preventing harassment by the company.
              Is your reading of the Act different to mine, des8?

Comment

Yep
                Para 3 continues:"the plaintiff may apply for the issue of a warrant for the arrest of the defendant."

Comment

Who would the defendant be at the water company the CEO?

Comment

You're not answering my question des8

Comment

Yep = yes, Sean, reading it differently
                      I read it that there are a number of Civil Remedies available.
                      No 1 is a civil claim by the victim
                      No 2 is award of damages following 1.
                      No 3 is application for a warrant of arrest of defendant if court has granted an injunction which it is alleged the defendant breached

I don't read 1 & 2 being dependent on any part of 3.
                      Does anyone else agree with me?

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...land-and-wales

Easier to see the full picture by taking one step back from the link you posted, Des.
                        I can see your logic now, from my link above.
                        It seems that the difficulty will be in quantum. Why ask for £2.5k?

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
                          I think you've been watching too many tv progs.
                          £2500 claim for harassment and loss of earnings?
                          I suggest you withdraw that claim.
                          You'll end up paying their costs as well as yours if this ever comes to a hearing.
                          The court process is to recoup your losses; to restore you to the position you were in before the events happened. Definitely not to line your pockets.
                          It's a shame you didn't come here first, before issuing your claim. You will have wasted your initial fee.
                          How did you lose earnings?
                          What loss have you sustained due to harassment?
                          I am a company Director of and I have spent a considerable amount of time dealing with this matter during my working day, so no I haven't been watching too many TV programmes!
                          And do not see why I should have to allow them to get away with this abysmal service. Let me remind you of the facts.
                          I made them aware they were not taking my money
                          I set up 2 direct debits with them which they failed to take
                          I was harassed by a debt collection company and threatening with court costs
                          The ombudsman ruled in July 2014 and they have still not fulfilled the conditions they agreed to
                          It is nearly 9 months after the ruling and I am still being told I can leave (3 times now) to have it rejected

I am now in debt with them, which is no fault of mine - So I now have to pay 2 utility companies going forward once I am allowed to leave.

I would also refer you to the Barry Payling v British Gas case, where he was paid out for loss of earnings. My time is as important as theirs.

Comment

First Utility is a Gas & Electric company ...

Comment

You can only try Who you are has no standing in a Court case its down to facts and evidence Good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X