• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2014/...aud-arms-race/
    What is the answer to the ad fraud arms race?17 Sep 2014 | Daniel de Sybel
    It might only now be a hot topic, but online ad fraud has been around for years, writes Infectious Media's Dan de Sybel. So why has it not been eradicated?
    There's an arms race taking place between digital ad buyers and ad fraudsters, and given the media coverage being garnered it certainly looks like it is a serious threat to the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness of the adtech industry.
    With the rise of traded media, and more notably, the rise of the inexperienced ad trader, fraud has been responsible for a lot of wasted ad spend and, if the fraudsters are left to run riot, has the potential to undo the gains made from operating in the programmatic ad market.
    Articles like "The truth about online ad fraud" and "Transformers: fraud bots in disguise" show in detail the technological arsenal developed by the fraudsters. Recently we have seen click bots evolving into DeceptiBots, simple domain fraud into toolbars and off-page ads into ad stacking. As each method of fraud is defeated by better human and non-human processes, another and more sophisticated one is developed.
    It is worth highlighting that online ad fraud existed well before the rise of the ad exchange. Way back, in the early noughties, it was commonplace for click farms to pollute the inventory of all the major performance networks with unscrupulous publishers using this low tech way of improving CTRs and thus obtaining more spend from the otherwise oblivious automated algorithms and human optimisation managers.
    So given that this has been around for years, why has it not been eradicated? It was in 2004 when Bill Gates stated that the problem of email spam would be solved in two years after already having been around for more than fifteen. It actually got worse for the following two years and took until around 2012 to be minimised to a point where many people barely notice it. It's hardly "solved" though.
    Similarly with online bank fraud, each new security measure (e.g. chip and pin, Verified by Visa) leads to new methods employed by the fraudsters to circumvent them (e.g. fake websites, malware).
    Many of the techniques used in bank fraud are replicated in the online ad world where the pickings can be just as profitable as in finance but with less risk of prosecution and/or hefty fines being imposed when caught.
    And herein lies the rub. With bank fraud, the governments and police forces around the world have made it the banks' problem to deal with. They support them with strict laws and hefty fines/jail time if the fraudsters are caught, but it is still the responsibility of the bank to investigate and bring the fraudsters to justice, whilst in the meantime reimbursing the customer with the money they lost.
    With online ad fraud, the advertisers almost always pay, except in the very rare cases where online fraud is proved and a publisher or ad tech provider can be held to account. Even in the cases where a fraudster is caught, they tend to only have to compensate the money spent on fraudulent activity and will often carry on defrauding with only a simple change in company name, as seen in the case of Sambreel last year.
    The shift from ad networks to traded media through ad exchanges has made a major difference though. With exchanges the fact is that all this borderline illegal activity is more obvious to anyone who can process the impression level data feed from their preferred DSP partner.
    For those that have the ability to process the full bidstream, it becomes even more obvious from the huge number of faked browser user-agent strings (identifiers that show operating system and browser combinations) and clicks with IP addresses that differ from the IP address of the impression that they came from.
    Ironically, the transparency of the online ad exchange has exposed the fraud that has existed for years and consequently led to a loss of trust in traded media. But by allowing the advertisers to pay for fraudulent activity, this mistrust will only continue and potentially stall the growth of investment in traded media.
    Whilst new technology solutions are constantly being developed to combat fraud, the onus of responsibility needs to be shifted to the companies that sell the advertising services if we are to see the investment required to reduce fraud to the mere background trickle that email spam has become.

What is the answer to the ad fraud arms race? | Daniel de Sybel
    Last edited by Tools; 6th January 2015, 12:21:PM.

Comment

http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2014/...line-ad-fraud/

Online ad fraud is becoming increasingly prevalent and sophisticated, with 'bots' evolving to mimic humans and agencies bidding for fake ad space.
      In an effort to increase marketplace transparency in the US, the American Association of Advertising Agencies (4A's), Association of National Advertisers (ANA), and Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) have announced plans to create a first-of-its-kind cross-industry accountability program designed to fight ad fraud, malware and the piracy of intellectual property.
      Established as a jointly controlled body, with its own board and leadership, the organisation aims to "operationalise principles around the critical issues that face the industry in this arena."
      Once officially launched, the program will monitor the industry for compliance and "develop incentives for broad industry participation and consequences for untrustworthy actors."
      "Criminal activity threatens to erode trust in the digital ecosystem," said Randall Rothenberg, President and CEO, IAB.
      "Quality, original content is not sufficiently protected against the threats of fraudulent traffic, malware attacks, and IP piracy, and it is time that publishers, marketers and agencies stand together to combat these dangerous forces as a unified entity."
      Online ad fraud and transparency have been much-debated topics in the industry, with media journalist Dominic Mills recently describing the current state of the ad industry as a "toxic cesspit of online fraud" that nobody is taking responsibility for.
      "I am coming round to the view that parts of the online advertising system resemble nothing so much as a communal cesspit gone toxic," he said.
      "This cesspit is bedevilled by the rotting stench of fraud. The local residents all know there is a problem, but no-one has the responsibility to clean it up or drain it."
      Mills says that, theoretically, the industry could begin to eliminate it by preventing fraudulent inventory from entering the supply chain in the first place.
      "But the providers - the publishers, the ad networks, the DSPs and so on - who make it available to the market appear to have little incentive," writes Mills.
      "Why? Because they want as much inventory as possible - preferably cheap (and fraudulent inventory is invariably cheaper) - and don't care where it comes from."
      Adloox's Marco Ricci also voiced his concerns over growing prevalence of 'phantom bots', 'cyclops' and 'decepti-bots', which are beginning to cleverly mimic human intentions.
      "Fake 'robot' ads are being targeted to a particular niche - resulting in a higher CPM than untargeted ads, thus deceiving advertisers into believing they are receiving valuable, targeted clicks," said Ricci.
      "The reality, however, is everyone's computer becomes a breeding ground for fraud. Fake sites inject their virus eggs on to user IPs via false installation apps and fake ads. The malware hatches, the virus is born, and your computer becomes a 'botnet'."
      IAB UK told Newsline that it is currently in talks with the US team about taking action in the UK, and that it hopes for a clearer picture in the coming months. The IAB added that any proposals made will require further agreement from JICWEBS.
      More information on the new US cross-industry compliance organisation can be found here.

Comment

Well done Tools. Another notch on your keyboard?/mouse?/gun barrel?....err...where does your average 21st century superhero keep his notches?

Comment

I have not read anywhere that, when money is transferred by defrauding a customer, the recipient’s Bank is held responsible.
          I understand that some of the customers who have been conned into transferring substantial amounts of money to a fraudster have not been compensated.
          All Banks have a legal responsibility to check the credentials by Passport/Utility Bill etc of every customer opening an account. If the account is abroad the money should not be transferred without checking with the sender.
          If any Bank receives money which was obtained fraudulently they should give details of the recipient to the police.
          If that recipient’s details are false then that Bank should refund the money because they have been negligent.

Comment

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-fraud-figures

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerGuru View Post
              Well done Tools. Another notch on your keyboard?/mouse?/gun barrel?....err...where does your average 21st century superhero keep his notches?
              Geekily enough, on an Excel Spreadsheet.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Just narrowly escaped being scammed on an ebay item (321649864263).
                The Barclays details are below:
                Bank:Barclays
                Acc number: 63628639
                Sort code: 20-89-68
                Bic:Barcgb22
                Iban: GB09 BARC 2089 6863 6286 39

Depressing thing is, I was not the winning bidder and although I reported the item before it ended, ebay did not remove it.
                I hope the winning bidder realises it is a scam.
                I didn't realise a UK bank account could be used for this type of fraud and I am glad I came across this forum.
                Will be giving Barclays a wide berth in the future!!!

Comment

Hi Chatter,

Thanks to your PM & post you have probably just saved that winning bidder £3000. I have had message back from Barclays that the account was recently opened and yet to be used, it has now been shut down.

Hopefully the person who won the auction will also suss out it was a scam, if they try to transfer funds to that account the it should fail.
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Well done guys. Keep bashing them!

Comment

Message to me by PM this morning, account details forwarded on, posting for searches.

A neighbour was scammed of £3900 in November 2014.
                      It was reported to the police/Action Fraud.
                      The advert was on Ebay for a Land Rover Item ID 221589819208 (classified) by "karacheshire"
                      Text linked to ad from +447624803049
                      email was ralicia027@gmail.com (IP address located in San Jose, so we found - in fact lots of email addresses are linked to this number as we found on the Scamdex website) The last time this scamming phone number was used was two days ago.

The money was sent from a TSB account to a Barclays account (seemingly in Bexleyheath, Leicester LE87 2BB) .
                      This account is detailed as Sort Code 20-62-69 Account No 9001 9240
                      But I believe the money went internationally - IBAN GB40 BARC 2062 6990 019240 Swift BARC GB22 (address of bank 1 Churchill Place, London EC14 5HP).

The scam format was to send the money to a "car broker" TJK Car Transport. Of course, the vehicle didn't materialise.
                      I would love to know if the account had been used previously for fraud, as it seems that is the victim's only chance of getting his money back off Barclays!

I hope this helps,

Comment

Searching for help with what happened to us I found this thread. We just lost £2500 to theses scumbags.

PayPal representative Bank account* : Payment details:
                        Bank Name: TSB
                        Account number: 00451768
                        Sort code: 77-68-44
                        Beneficiary Name: Lukasz Dzwonkowski

*Bacs, CHAPS and Faster Payments are accepted.
                        Invoice#: 15496511
                        Subtotal: £2,500.00
                        Shipping(Free): £0.00

Deposit: £0.00

Total: £2,500.00

Comment

Hi worzel, sorry to hear you have fallen foul of these scams.

I have passed those details onto TSB. Can you explain in a little more detail what the purchase was and who you have reported it to so far.

Comment

The purchase was for a 3.5ton VW LT35 Horse box. Was advertised as local to me but was told they had moved to Scotland. Have reported to police, Halifax (who we bank with), paypal and ebay.

No one seems to be liable because the pages we were sent were "spoof pages". The Email they used was lucy@localbt.co.uk.

This has been incredibly hard hitting for us as we had saved that money up to move into the Horse box as we can't afford our rent while I study.

This is the original listing that I guess was hijacked in some form.
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-ton-Horsebox-VW-LT35-well-loved-/271740233265?pt=UK_Sporting_Horseboxes_RL&hash=ite m3f44fae631

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

The genuine ebay account holder will have been hacked via a phishing email of similar method. The listing was on ebay, but the invoices etc that will have followed by email are convincing looking fakes. "Lucy" is well know to us in one form or another, sometimes going by the name of Eve, Evelyn, Alice.......etc

I sympathise with your financial and housing situation, but without wishing to add to your worries it is highly unlikely you will see that money again, sorry.

I recommend you also speak with TSB as soon as possible, I have passed the account details to them and the account should be closed tomorrow if it hasn't been already. Insist you are put through to their fraud dept, don't be fobbed off with their normal customer helpline, they will try to fob you off by saying they can't put you through as you are not one of their customers but do persist.

Comment

Thanks Tools, we're not really expecting to get the money back, just trying all avenues.

Will call TSB today.

Many thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X