• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

I'm wondering if my landlord is legally entitled to do this?
    I had a meeting with them last week and a housing officer stated that we understand your situation is this, that the other etc.

I've not personally spoken to anyone from my housing association since about 2008 so there is absolutely no other way they could have gained this information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord asking neighbours personal questions about me

Without knowing a little more it's impossible to say. A neighbour could have made a complaint (eg if the meeting was about damage to the property) or if your benefits entitlements have changed (due to a relationship breakdown / employment status ) then they may be aware through housing benefit changes etc etc etc. So just briefly, what was the meeting about, is the info about your situation going to affect your tenancy in a negative way ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No, not claiming housing benefit, so it can't be that,
      No complaint as far as I'm aware. My neighbours are the type to complain directly to me anyway lol

There was an issue with rent arrears for which I'd been ignoring their efforts for me to contact them for months... putting it off 'till tomorrow etc. The issue is sorted out now, so no, there is no problem with my tenancy.
      They basically knew my son was in Uni and the area I work in. Not much I know but they couldn't have got that information from anywhere else as far as I can work out.
      I'm waiting for a call back from this housing officers manager (not that she's rushing or anything!) so I guess I might find out then.

I guess I just wanted to know if they were allowed to do it.

Thanks for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie999 View Post
        They basically knew my son was in Uni and the area I work in. Not much I know but they couldn't have got that information from anywhere else as far as I can work out.
        How very curious.

And what the buggery might those data have to do with your tenancy?

I guess I just wanted to know if they were allowed to do it.
        I rather doubt that they are.

They seem to have collected data about you that is of no possible relevance to your tenancy, which makes one wonder if the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Regulation of Investigative Powers Act 2000 (link) - or both - had been contravened.

Comment

http://www.justice.org.uk/pages/-169.html
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investi...owers_Tribunal
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bdsyk

Comment

Thanks for the links, I'll certainly be checking them out.

It wasn't just the information this person had, it was her overall unprofessional conduct and scare tactics that concerns me too.

I'm not going to say how I felt because I want an unbiased perspective.

Bearing in mind that it was quite a stressful situation to begin with and, I'm quite a strong person, how would anyone feel if after being told they are considering forcing a sale on my home (I own 40%) she sat there staring at me right in the face for at least 30 seconds without saying anything. I kept looking away, giving a little smile hoping for a reasonable response. Nothing, just staring. WTF was that all about?!

Thanks in advance

Comment

Housing associations are subject to the Human Rights Act 1998 whether they like it or not. And so is this housing officer. If you own 40% of your home, why are they proposing to force a sale? They need a court order to do so and, if you'll pardon my bluntness, a bloody good reason for seeking the court order in the first place. What reason did this woman give?
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Bearing in mind that it was quite a stressful situation to begin with and, I'm quite a strong person, how would anyone feel if after being told they are considering forcing a sale on my home (I own 40%) she sat there staring at me right in the face for at least 30 seconds without saying anything. I kept looking away, giving a little smile hoping for a reasonable response. Nothing, just staring. WTF was that all about?!
                Intimidation.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Intimidation.
                  It could also be harassment under the PfHA. If this woman has done what she has on at least two occasions, Suzie has grounds to have a Cease and Desist Notice served on the housing association's CEO whom, I have no doubt, will be delighted that one of his housing officers has exposed the housing association to potential litigation. There is also the Housing Ombudsman who could be contacted for assistance.

Comment

Thanks for that Bluebottle,

Basically I owe them rent and refused to get in touch for months. Wrong I know and they were right to want a meeting to sort it out but it's the tactics this woman used that concerns me.

I'm guessing that all they need to do is deal with facts and proper processes, not try to delve in to my personal life, trying to get me to talk about things I find highly traumatic. This went on for an hour, when all I really needed to do was fill in a direct debit form.

I know people have bigger problems than this here but imagine if I wasn't quite as strong? I'd be wearing a frigging tinfoil hat by now, that's what!

Oh well, by the time I've finished, she'll be treating people properly

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      Intimidation.
                      Precisely what I thought. Just checking I wasn't being over sensitive

Comment

If you have a Law Centre in your local area, you might be able to ask them to write a strongly-worded letter to the CEO of your housing association about the behaviour of this housing officer. There is no excuse for it.

Comment

Are you or your son on Facebook you may like many others have put things on there if your son is at Uni he may have stated that on facebook its actually quite easy to find out about people

Comment

I had a meeting with them last week and a housing officer stated that we understand your situation is this, that the other etc.
                            Write, tricking them into putting all these points (all the stuff that they have no business knowing), in writing. Say nothing about Data Protection at this point. Once you have it in writing, you can then challenge them as to the source of that information.

There are several potential DPA breaches:

The landlord may have disclosed confidential information about you when speaking to the neighbours.
                            The neighbours may disclosed confidential information about you to the landlord.
                            The landlord may have passed that information to the council.
                            The Council may already have that information elsewhere, but have used it for an unrelated purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                              If you have a Law Centre in your local area, you might be able to ask them to write a strongly-worded letter to the CEO of your housing association about the behaviour of this housing officer. There is no excuse for it.
                              I'll check that out, thanks

I'll wait for her manager. Prior to asking for an investigation, I will be requesting any data that they have concerning me. God knows who they have been speaking to and what info they have!

Nope, no excuse apart from an over-inflated ego

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X