• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

equita bailiffs - birmingham city council - advice needed before 0930 this morning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• equita bailiffs - birmingham city council - advice needed before 0930 this morning

Hello all

Got in arrears with council tax and set up payment plan of £100 per month after court action. Hubby lost job and i defaulted on this. At beginning of April I received a letter from Equita. I rang immediately and arranged to pay £100 per month starting today. The girl said she could not stop action until payment was received. I offered a token payment but she said that was no good.

Popped up to the shop yesterday and got hysterical call from the kids (14 and 11) saying a man wouldn't stop knocking and he had pushed a 24 hour notice through the door. We got back and I rang him. He said the debt has increased by approx. £170 and he will give me till the 15 May to pay.

I am happy to pay £100 per month but he won't negotiate. Is there anyway to stall him. I am meant to be ringing him at 0930 today.

I have read about SAR but I need something short term in the first instance.

I am about to go on debt management plan with CCCS. They previously advised ignoring him and they will eventually return debt to council, but i can't have my kids being so upset by constant visits.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: equita bailiffs - birmingham city council - advice needed before 0930 this mornin

Hi nick,
    Please have a read of this advice given here Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
    Please take note of what advice is there especially about not letting the bailiff enter your property, hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will be along soon to further advise you.
    Enaid x

Comment

Re: equita bailiffs - birmingham city council - advice needed before 0930 this mornin

Hi. Equita are gits, but they can be dealt with. Have a read of my thread Wends Mate v Equita/ Bham City Council - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Equita crawled back under their stone and my mate is paying them £10 per month. It took a bit of doing, you have to stand firm and know what you are talking about and not be bullied by them. We also have the email address of the Head of Complaints at Equita. I know her name is Karen Fowler but I can never remember the email address. Not to worry though cos Ben 13 knows it and he will no doubt post it up at some point (He always does whenever I say I can't remember it lol)

If you need any more help then post back on here.

Remember, not being able to afford to pay the arrears is not a crime, only the refusal to pay is. You are not refusing to pay, just need to pay by affordable instalments and only the charges that they can legitimately charge.

And do not under any circumstance ring the bailiff, no matter what he threatens or what letters you get. Keep everything in writing. If any bailiffs turn up at your home under no circumstances let them in.
      Is no longer here

Comment

And here it is :-)

Karen Fowler.
        The email address is info@equita.co.uk

Make sure the subject is... FAO Karen Fowler, Head of Complaints.

Also cc the email to your councils CEO (their email address will be on the councils website).

Hope this helps.

Follow Wendy's advice as I did and it worked so well for me that the council had no choice but to take the case back.

Dont hesitate to ask us anything. We're here to help

Ben13

Comment

UPDATE

I rang bailiff (as i didn't want him to knock on door again) and panicked and paid £200. he said he'd give me till beginning of June. Emailed complaint to council and bailiffs as suggested and yesterday a paying in book appeared in the post. I have just rang equita and they just said ' yeah you're on a payment plan of £100 per month'. I asked if the £200 had been taken into account and they said yes and that £400 was left owing, meaning they have also removed ALL spurious bailiff fees. No apology or even letter received but I can't expect miracles.

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice which gave me the courage to complain and get back on track rather than panic and have the car towed away!

Comment

Originally posted by nick1503 View Post
            I have just rang equita and they just said ' yeah you're on a payment plan of £100 per month'. I asked if the £200 had been taken into account and they said yes and that £400 was left owing, meaning they have also removed ALL spurious bailiff fees. No apology or even letter received but I can't expect miracles.
            I don't mean to rain on your parade, but do you have this in writing?

Comment

you have rained on my parade a little bit. But I have the payment booklet and the fact that they have spoken to me at the office. Before they would not discuss anything and kept telling me that I had to deal with the bailiff direct. I will request confirmation in writing on Friday when I call to pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by nick1503 View Post
                you have rained on my parade a little bit. But I have the payment booklet and the fact that they have spoken to me at the office. Before they would not discuss anything and kept telling me that I had to deal with the bailiff direct. I will request confirmation in writing on Friday when I call to pay them.
                To which office did you speak?

Comment

If I were you, I would send them an email, confirming your telephone conversation, and the details therein. Send it to Karen Fowler, then at least you will get a reply.

Just something along the lines of

Following my telecon with xxx at your xxxx office on xxx date. I now write to confirm the following points.

The payment I recently made of £200 has been deducted from the balance outstanding.
                  You have agreed to a payment plan of £100 per month, commencing on xxx date
                  As at today's date, the total outstanding balance on my account is £400
                  I will be making the first payment of £100 on xxx date, followed by 3 further payments of £100 on xxxx/ a monthly basis, following which my account will be clear.

I look forward to your confirmation by return.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X