• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK Services & Support Ltd BRITISHPassportServices Copycat Website issues DISCUSSION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UK Services & Support Ltd BRITISHPassportServices Copycat Website issues

Moreover, the moment I realised that this wasn't kosher I proceeded to go through their cancellation procedure. It can't have been more than 5 minutes later that I entered a cancellation request on their website and sent an e-mail. I also tried to ring but couldn't get through. But I still received an invoice for all but one of the items. Given that the time I did all this at - around 6.30pm in the evening - and given that the phones weren't manned - I feel it is highly unlikely that in the 5 minutes between my entering my details and cancelling the forms, they managed to provide these so called services.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome, fine website you have here - very noble!

Comment

Originally posted by pseudonym View Post
      Moreover, the moment I realised that this wasn't kosher I proceeded to go through their cancellation procedure. It can't have been more than 5 minutes later that I entered a cancellation request on their website and sent an e-mail. I also tried to ring but couldn't get through. But I still received an invoice for all but one of the items. Given that the time I did all this at - around 6.30pm in the evening - and given that the phones weren't manned - I feel it is highly unlikely that in the 5 minutes between my entering my details and cancelling the forms, they managed to provide these so called services.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome, fine website you have here - very noble!
      What stage are you at with this? Have you received a court claim?

Comment

Well I never actually paid in the first place, realising that something was afoot once it redirected me to the payment screen. I googled a specific passport office and their number was returned by google, I rang this number and I asked whether this was that specific passport office, the lady said that it was and that there was an online form I had to fill in now and that she'd e-mail and text me the link. I provided her with my e-mail and phone number and was duly sent a link. The fraudulent info I was given over the phone never caused me to question the website I was taken to and I duly filled in the form. When I reached the end of the form I hit the 'submit form' button. I don't feel like this is an adequate phrase for the terminus of a transaction. I presumed I would get a chance to review the transaction before I proceeded but apparently that was enough for them to issue me with an invoice.
        Thanks, indeed you are not alone with having telephoned the company believing them to be the HMPO. Of course NOW they have disclaimers on their phone lines, but before they didn't - there are just too many reports of the same thing happening for the firm to pretend that there were.

Indeed, they do appear to have tried to make it as difficult as possible to cancel.

How long ago did you have the misfortune to end up on their website ? and as EXC says, where are things at now?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have started putting some guidance together http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...455#post522455 for BPS victims.

If you don't already have a thread for your specific case please start one in this forum http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Website-Issues and call it something like FREDSMITH v BPS - claim received XX/XX/2015

PLEASE REDACT ANY PERSONAL DETAILS IF YOU UPLOAD DOCUMENTS.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

''The Court of Appeal's findings were outlined in a case in which the Court considered whether a company was required to notify consumers that the services it offered for a charge could be obtained by the consumers acting directly for free. PLT Anti-Marketing Limited (PLT) offered to register consumers' names and contact details with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and the Mail Preference Service (MPS) in return for £4 monthly subscription, but consumers are able to carry out the registration with the TPS and MPS for free. ''

Originally posted by Tools
            Just spotted this Court of Appeal decision today, an opinion on the decision not to allow variation denied, overview by Pinset Masons here
            http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2...-says-expert/?

Will look a little closer tomorrow but very relevant to our BPS claims

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=Boolean

Full Regs here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Reg 5 - Misleading Actions- http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/5/made

Reg 6 - Misleading Omissions - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi All

Just going through all the threads on BPS. My daughter has just received a claim form HMCTS Northampton. Relates to her filling in an application back in April last year. Quite stressful for all concerned the temptation was just to pay up but I dont see why this person or persons should get away with it.
              I've seen the defense letter suggested on another thread- just wondered if all the regulations apply where the original application was made in April 2014. Some of the new regs I think came into force in June 2014.
              Thank you to SC on LB admin for setting me up

Comment

Originally posted by yokohama View Post
                Hi All

I've seen the defense letter suggested on another thread- just wondered if all the regulations apply where the original application was made in April 2014. Some of the new regs I think came into force in June 2014.
                Only the 'Defence of Breach of Consumer Protection Regulations' (paragraph 8) wouldn't apply to you as it can only be used for contracts entered into or payments made on or after 1 October 2014. Everything else you can use.

Comment

Sorry that's my fault, thanks for picking it up - I've amended accordingly.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

"Only the 'Defence of Breach of Consumer Protection Regulations' (paragraph 8) wouldn't apply to you as it can only be used for contracts entered into or payments made on or after 1 October 2014. Everything else you can use."

I am guessing they must have breached some of the previous consumer protection rules as well- any ideas as to what may be applicable to pre Oct contracts

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/5/made

5.—(1) A commercial practice is a misleading action if it satisfies the conditions in either paragraph (2) or paragraph (3).

(2) A commercial practice satisfies the conditions of this paragraph—

(a)if it contains false information and is therefore untruthful in relation to any of the matters in paragraph (4) or if it or its overall presentation in any way deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer in relation to any of the matters in that paragraph, even if the information is factually correct; and

(b)it causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/6/made
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by yokohama View Post
                        "Only the 'Defence of Breach of Consumer Protection Regulations' (paragraph 8) wouldn't apply to you as it can only be used for contracts entered into or payments made on or after 1 October 2014. Everything else you can use."

I am guessing they must have breached some of the previous consumer protection rules as well- any ideas as to what may be applicable to pre Oct contracts

Sorry, I thought you'd seen the defence. It's here in the first post http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...claim-from-BPS

Comment

• Re: UK Services & Support Ltd BRITISHPassportServices Copycat Website issues DISCUSSI

Shari Vahl has investigated a website that charges for passport appointments, and explains why it is suing many of its customers.
                          BBC Radio 4 You & Yours at 12.15 today http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053c3p8

Comment

sorry i had missed the pre/post oct - seen it now thanks

Comment

The people here have been brilliant at helping me, take heart!

Comment

• Re: UK Services & Support Ltd BRITISHPassportServices Copycat Website issues DISCUSSI

Anyone seen Richard Howard today?!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X