• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Philips and DVLA - HELP!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips and DVLA - HELP!!!

Last June (2010) I had my vehicle scrapped as it was beyond economical repair. I went to the DVLA and advised them of this and handed over the log book with the relevant part completed. They told me that as the tax was not due to expire until October, I would get a refund on the remaining months. I never received this but as it was not much I didnt chase it.

Anyway, in the October I received a letter from them saying that the tax was up on the vehicle. I wrote to them advising them that I did not own the car anymore (as previously advised). I heard nothing so assumed everything was ok. I then received a letter saying I had to pay £80 for not telling them I no longer owned the car!!! I wrote to them (again) advising I had told them this, and I enclosed my previous letter.

I then received a letter from Philips Baliffs saying that the debt has been passed to them. I told them what had happened with the DVLA and I sent them copies of the letters. They are saying I still owe the £80!! (which will go up to £1000 if I dont pay them!!) I visited the DVLA to try and get some help from them, they say their records show that I am showing as no longer the owebr of the vehile from June last year, but they wont give me a second letter saying that I am no longer the owner as, as far as they are concerned they sent a letter and unless I can produce this I have to pay £80!!! I am getting no joy from anyone, I really dont see why I should pay this fine.

Please help!!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Philips and DVLA - HELP!!!

Hi,

I'm sorry you're having problems and I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will be along soon to help you.

In the meantime you may want to Google Duncan Peck, this is a guy who took on the DVLA. It's regarding a SORN he'd sent to the DVLA but they said they hadn't received it and he was fined £80. The DVLA said it was Mr Pecks responsibility to contact them when he didn't receive any notification from them. The Judge however ruled in Pecks favour stating that the DVLA had no statutory power requiring anyone to contact them should they not receive an acknowledgment letter. Therefore I would assume that you'd be within your rights to demand a 2nd letter from the DVLA.

I could of course be wrong and if so I'm sure someone will correct me.

Comment

I think the above post is spot on. Alternatively you have two other ways forward I can think of. The first is to ask for a copy of the DVLA complaints procedure and go through that. The other costs £10 but would give you a copy of the letter is to SAR the DVLA.

Whatever you do, you need to ensure the issue is formally registered as in dispute with the DVLA and get them to call off the bailiffs until it is resolved. If they refuse, don't give in, escalate it higher and higher until you get some satisfaction.
      Last edited by Caspar; 1st June 2011, 16:30:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems with DVLA.

We sold a car last Sept and completed the change of ownership form and sent if off recorded delivery to DVLA. Thought nothing more of it until the new owner who we knew well, mentioned they hadn't got back the new owner documents. I rang DVLA who confirmed they hadn't recieved it, but I was able to prove they had from post office track & trace. They wrote back confirming they couldn't find it and sent a V62 to complete, which I sent back recorded post again.

A couple of weeks later we got a fine sent for 'Failure to Notify Change of Keeper' , I think that was about £80. I sent them a copy of the letters that confirmed they had lost it. Then got a curt letter from the Enforcement Officer saying 'in the circumstances no further action will be taken'.

They are very capable of losing forms & letters, so send everything recorded delivery. Fight them all the way. Best of luck x

Comment

DVLA and Phillips, my problem is that Phillips say they have a distress warrant but refuse point blank to give me any details about it. If i knew that i could get a statutory declaration done and argue my case against the DVLA

why will they not tell me?

do they have one?

can they act without showing me it?

surely i should be allowed the details even if its only the court address

Comment

Originally posted by jellyhead View Post
            DVLA and Phillips, my problem is that Phillips say they have a distress warrant but refuse point blank to give me any details about it. If i knew that i could get a statutory declaration done and argue my case against the DVLA

do they have one?

Bailiffs tell lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis View Post
              We sold a car last Sept and completed the change of ownership form and sent if off recorded delivery to DVLA. Thought nothing more of it until the new owner who we knew well, mentioned they hadn't got back the new owner documents. I rang DVLA who confirmed they hadn't recieved it, but I was able to prove they had from post office track & trace. They wrote back confirming they couldn't find it and sent a V62 to complete, which I sent back recorded post again.

A couple of weeks later we got a fine sent for 'Failure to Notify Change of Keeper' , I think that was about £80. I sent them a copy of the letters that confirmed they had lost it. Then got a curt letter from the Enforcement Officer saying 'in the circumstances no further action will be taken'.

They are very capable of losing forms & letters, so send everything recorded delivery. Fight them all the way. Best of luck x
              Wasn't the DVLA created from the DVLC with the intent of privatising it, but then it became plain that their systems were so inefficient and ramshackle that not even Crapita would want to buy them?

Comment

Originally posted by jellyhead View Post

do they have one?

One of the reasons they might be avoiding giving any details is because the warrant has expired.

What does this relate to and have you asked to see a copy of it in writing?

Comment

I was under the impression it was run by Capita,
                  Then again if they use Phillips probaly not.

Templer

Comment

Originally posted by Templer View Post
                    I was under the impression it was run by Capita,
                    Then again if they use Phillips probaly not.
                    Wouldn't Crapita use Equita?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      Wasn't the DVLA created from the DVLC with the intent of privatising it, but then it became plain that their systems were so inefficient and ramshackle that not even Crapita would want to buy them?
                      An acronym sporting an 'A' (for Agency), signifies a government organisation has been set up to bring in a little extra.

DVLA, CSA and the UKBA all do their bit to bolster profits for UK-plc.

How long before other income generating 'Agencies' receive their new names? UK Police Forces Agency, HMCS(A), HMRC(A).

Comment

six to twelve months at a guess. The coalition are so desperate for cash they'll try nearly anything . What about a wealth tax, excess profits tax, a proper top rete for income tax. Dont get me started about city bonuses....

Comment

Perhaps they should privatise the army, or make it self-funding?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X