• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
    im not sure that its silly season,

its the problem you face as a litigant in person,

The problem is a good understanding of the law, which most LIPs struggle with
    Never a truer post on any forum.

Good legal representation is worth its weight in gold,but is not easily available to most.

You can fight the fight as a LIP but your chances of succeeding are multiplied a hundred fold when the man in the shiny shoes and a suit is arguing the case for you.

Comment

Originally posted by middenmess View Post
      Yet another disastrous decision today!!

kaz3571 V Cabot

Looks like the silly season is now in full swing--hardly worth having laws if the judiciary take no notice of them!
      Originally posted by kaz on cag
      hi all
      been for the last hearing today and it is with great sadness i have to inform everybody that i have lost. Cabot admitted that the original agreement was destroyed and all they had was the unreadable copy. I argued that pd16 said they needed to provide the original in court. The judge (wrongly) said wakesman had ruled that a re constituted copy would suffice. i argued that wakesman was only dealing with a s 87 request for a copy agreement and it had no bearing on this case of a creditor taking a debtor to court but he was having none of it so i lost. dont really know where i go from here i know the judge was wrong but sometimes you realise that whatever you say it not getting through.#

kaz
      PT, thats my local court lol - Watsons Solicitors | Latest News
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Now watch a certain company become inundated with requests for help!

Comment

Ive got 7 more stories waiting to go on the site

we are having the site overhauled cos its rubbish really, but IT isnt my strong point lol
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Kings Chambers | Chancery Strength in Depth

http://www.parklaneplowden.co.uk/ste...3-chancery.php

http://www.parklaneplowden.co.uk/dav...4-chancery.php

Russell Moffat | Nicholas Street Chambers | Chester

Exchange Chambers

Devon Chambers Barristers ; Barrister Profile.
            See Matt Dors

These guys i would have no hesitation in using, they are exceptional talents and great people
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

If you are updating the wins it may be useful to add the cases that were lost too, for balance.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                The problem is a good understanding of the law, which most LIPs struggle with
                Hmm and there was me thinking the judge was supposed to give more leeway to the LiP for the very reason he is not knowledgable in the law:tinysmile_cry_t:

Tom
                I thought I knew something, but now I know nothing

Comment

Unenforceable credit agreements - The Office of Fair Trading

For everyones info.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

And another more worrying link from the OFT that seems to negate many of the defences or arguments that many have previously relied on.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...it/OFT1272.pdf

Comment

• Re: Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Originally posted by TomThumb View Post
                      Hmm and there was me thinking the judge was supposed to give more leeway to the LiP for the very reason he is not knowledgable in the law:tinysmile_cry_t:

Tom
                      yes, but hold on for a moment, if the LIP attends court and has no understanding of the law, then the judge will most likely hear from the other sides counsel, and decide who is right on the basis of submissions and the judges reading of the law

A good barrister may well be able to convince the judge that his argument is right, and your argument is wrong, as a LIP.

Lets not forget, if you want advice on a boiler you see a gas man, if you want advice on a car you go to a garage, by the same token, you must remember that a Judge is most likely to follow what a barrister says if there is an issue over the law

This is why a good barrister is really essential to winning these days.

Comment

just adding this to lender wins - Blackhorse v Hanson & onr Jan 2009- is vat part of total charge for credit or amount of credit

- in firms favour

Slater v Egg
                        Carey v HSBC
                        Amex v Brandon
                        Amex v Duffy
                        Kneale v Barclaycard
                        Blackhorse v Speak
                        SPML v Walker
                        Brooks v Northern Rock
                        Sternlight and Others v Various banks
                        Napier v HFC
                        Teasdale v HSBC
                        Brophy v HFC
                        Shaw v Nine Regions
                        Armstrong v Amex
                        Heath v SPML
                        McGuffick v RBS
                        Blackhorse v Hanson

Countycourt/forums
                        ccman v cabot (goldfish)
                        hunni2006 v cabot
                        Debenhams v Zhanzibhar
                        ??? v Costa

- in consumers favour

Durkin v DSG Retail
                        Crutchely v Godebt
                        Yates v Nemo (PPI)
                        Woollerton v Blackhorse (PPI)
                        MBNA v Thouris (PPI)

countycourt/forum
                        MBNA v McCullagh
                        Arrow Global v Devlin
                        HFC Bank Limited v Mrs H
                        Phoenix Recoveries v Dr C
                        Cabot Financial UK Limited v Mr and Mrs P
                        DLC / Hillsden v Mr L

Read more at: Is it safe to contest the CCA? - Page 3 - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Slater v Egg - OK a defeat (but probably because the defendant screwed up her evidence)
                          Carey v HSBC - very badly prepared claim – probably a set up but no real loss for the debtor. s78 was never going to work for unenforceability.
                          Amex v Brandon - a shocking travesty of justice, bending the act to breaking point to be appealed and appalled
                          Amex v Duffy
                          Kneale v Barclaycard - this was only a case for disclosure where the claimant had no grounds for disclosure
                          Blackhorse v Speak
                          SPML v Walker
                          Brooks v Northern Rock
                          Sternlight and Others v Various banks - interest not calculated to be same as APR ? Even I could have trashed this case !
                          Napier v HFC
                          Teasdale v HSBC
                          Brophy v HFC
                          Shaw v Nine Regions
                          Armstrong v Amex
                          Heath v SPML
                          McGuffick v RBS - A case with an enforceable agreement - what a shocker !
                          Blackhorse v Hanson

I have no knowledge of the others.

IMO none of these were real defeats to debtors with good cases (which is probably why they got to court). These were wins for common sense and no more than that.
                          They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Basa - they are still defeats, still create case law and of course the banks/lenders ensure they only take cases to court they can win but for every one they do it becomes more risky for others to take the same arguments, so it is important not to just write off high court and appeal court judgments as 'poor organisation', 'dodgy judge' etc.

I agree that a lot of the judgments are a win for common sense. And thankfully the cases which DO have true detriment to consumers, those that are iredeemably unenforceable with misstated credit figures or which simply were just never taken out in the first place and still winning and people are still gaining some justice, and the others, win or lose, are at least clarifying matters and theories and the law for others to follow and utilise.

Brandon is concerning, the 14 days issues cannot remain as de minimus, that is clear. However I do not agree in consumers, who never intended to pay up the arrears within the true 14 days anyway, should be using the bank being one or two days out to avoid paying legitimate debts. Brandon is also concerning due to the judgment on credit card late payment charges and I hope that judgment does not become a thorn in the side of reclaimers of those fees.

Kneale you say 'was only for disclosure' - we know, and it is still important as many people were pushed into making 31.16 requests and applying at court for orders on fishing trips. We can pretend all we like but that is what is was and is used for in UEA world. In one way it is a pain now that door is shut and there are no criminal sanctions for non compliance with 78 anymore that make it hard to get your agreement copy - however if there truely is a dispute and a valid reason for obtaining sight of the documentation - I dont see why 31.16 can't still succeed, but it stops people using it as a fishing trip as a second step towards trying to screw over the lenders.

Slater v Egg - yes the defendant may have said something wrong about the familiarity of documents, however that wasnt the main argument. The main argument was about the approved limit wording. This had been cleared up in a couple other cases previously and was an erroneous argument, as proven by the judgment in this case. And that is extremely helpful for people, and its not useful to attack it because the defendant said something different about receipt of the terms and conditions and thus encouraging people to ignore the facts of the judgement.

Carey and Sternlight - bought by money sucking leaches with no basis or detriment and both absolute common sense judgments (particularly Sternlight though I agree with Carey and am glad that judgment was made).

We can look at them in different ways, but attacking the judgments just doesnt help people who are continually being encouraged just to stop paying debts because of technicalities. People should be told the truth of the situation on encouraged to use breaches of the CCA (where there is no major dispute about the debt) to obtain a reasonable repayment arrangement if they are struggling, to get cases sent back to the original creditors, and to renegotiate interest/default sums on the debts. It can be very useful, and used to be, but now as soon as a CCA request is received the bank thinks debt avoider now and court action is far too often forthcoming where there so needn't have been.

edit: missed one you commented on - McGuffick - has certainly made clear what does and doesnt constitute enforcement. It is and will continue to be detrimental to innocent consumers who have actually suffered incorrect recordings on CRAs and had intense DCA contact and court proceedings bought against them for debts they just simply do not owe (through ID fraud/previously settled etc) and force them to go through court on DPA issues and CCA issues to get things sorted now. It also damages people who were using the CCA to get debts back to original creditors and repayment plans off the back of them not being able to locate agreements because this bolshy attitude is growing 'ahh but its not enforcement, so we can do what we like'. Should never have gone to court, but it did.

I'm a great believer in common sense.
                            Last edited by Amethyst; 20th October 2010, 08:00:AM.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

i would say, each case should be judged on its own merits.

There is far tooo much of this one size fits all stuff going on, where the advice is stop paying and do this and then that etc

when we look at a new job, we ascertain the background of a case, we then ask as many questions as are necessary to get the info we need, then we look at the papers and then make a decision on the case based on its facts. The problem is with these forums, is that people ( and i mean no disrespect in saying this) read someone elses thread and then go off gung ho without knowing all the facts of the case.

This is where people go horribly wrong

just my view of course.

Comment

In my expereince posters were actively encouraged to stop paying, not that they read other peoples' threads and copied them per se. OTR it was standard fayre to be advised that DCAs would see you as a 'soft touch' if you continued paying during a CCA dispute.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X