• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confusion over VT 50% rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion over VT 50% rule

Hi, new member here, apologies if clogging up the board, mods feel free to move somewhere suitable if so.

I purchased a new AUDI on a PCP October 2015 x 48 months

purchase price £38,484

deposit £8,137

Cash payment by me of £385

Credit £30,347

Final payment month 49 £15,888

I have been paying £414pm since Nov 2015 and was led to believe by the seller that in November 2017, I could VT this car as I would be 50% through the contract. However, upon reading these pages, I feel that I haven't had this explained properly to me, as by all accounts, I will have to pay half of the initial credit £30347 / 2 = £15,173 before I can VT, however by November 2017, I will only have paid 24 x £414 = £9,936 leaving a shortfall of £5,237.

Am I correct in thinking that if I want to VT this in November 2017, I will still have an outstanding balance of £5,237 to pay or can I walk away as I have made 50% of the monthly payments?

I returned a Ford a few years ago 50% through the term of the contract due to going to work abroad, however I hadn't made 50% of the payments at this time, just 50% of the term.

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Confusion over VT 50% rule

Hello,

It's not the initial credit, its the total amount payable (which includes the total charge for credit i.e. the interest) unless your reference to the credit your referring to is the total amount payable.

I would suggest you read the following link in particular the section 'What type of finance agreement do I have?' which gives you a better understanding of the type of agreement you have.

I suspect your Ford agreement would have been a hire purchase or conditional sale agreement not a PCP.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...on-Your-rights
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b, many thanks for your quick reply, appreciated.

Ive just had another look at the contract and it states under Termination: your rights "they will be entitled to the return of the goods and to half the amount payable under this agreement that is £21,948.31"

Am I right in thinking that I can reduce the total of what I have paid so far (deposit, cash payment and 24 x monthly payments) from this total which would leave me with a bill of £3,490 to settle?

Comment

Yes that's correct, so any deposit plus the instalments to date deducted from the £21,948.31 would give you the outstanding liability.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Cheers R0b, you're a star mate

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
            Yes that's correct, so any deposit plus the instalments to date deducted from the £21,948.31 would give you the outstanding liability.
            I Am thinking of doing this next week on my Ford Focus doe the value of the car come into consideration when working out the 50% repayment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X