• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Variable Hours & Exclusivity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable Hours & Exclusivity

Hi, I am starting a new limited company in England with an idea I have been working on for 9 months. By background I am an entrepreneur versed with full time employees. This however is a specific and peculiar situation.

I need to be able to engage workers with flexible hours based on demand. The work is relationship based and hard to predict. Before engaging workers this is made clear to them (the MO of the form) and so would any legal wording. The service provision is low cost to clients and the potential workers happy with the hourly rate.

Ordinarily this would mean zero hour contracts give the variability and low cost nature of the work. However, this service is very innovative and I don't want it easily replicated and secondly we source the clients (and so pay the costs of customer acquisition) so we want very narrow exclusively and non-solicitation for 4 months after leaving employment/engagement.

I have read the 2016 amendment to the 1996 Employment Rights Act.

Looking at all the circumstances there is a good case for these workers to be self-employed but I think HMRC could potentially just win the argument. So I discount that option. Given any form exclusivity is banned by 2016 amendment Zero Hours is not an option. Contract engagement with Ltds as personal service companies is not feasible given complexity for the workers and insurance reasons (likely HMRC reasons for the employer too).

This leaves part-time employment contacts but we do not have the clients or funding to provide any more than a few hours a week (along with the associated employment rights and costs).

SO: The solution I am thinking is 2h/week part-time work with narrow exclusively clauses and non solicitation of employer clients + a zero hours contract. All made transparent and clear to the employee. That allows variable hours for the employee and gives protection to us on clients. Thoughts?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X