• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming damages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming damages

Hello all,
    I recently ordered some goods online and paid for them to be delivered. On the day of delivery, the retailers courier damaged my property.
    I took photos of the damage and sent them to the retailer who wiped their hands of the issue and told me the courier would be investigating the issue.

I then recently received a call from a solicitor asking to send the photographs to them and to obtain some quotes to repair the damage. I spoke to some local traders who emailed over some quotes which I then forwarded to them. Apparently this was unacceptable because they were not formal quotes on company headed paper.
    So I went back to the traders and asked for a formal quote, of course these people don't typically have time for this and aren't based in offices to email out quotes so I only got one reply. I then forwarded the quote again.

The reply this time was that it was unacceptable again because the quote was not broken down into cost of labour, materials, etc. I imagine if I ask the traders for this again, I will be ignored like last time. I also think that they're continually trying to make things difficult so eventually I give up and they don't pay out.

I did consider seeking legal advice but for such a small claim it seems quite pointless. At the same time I don't see why they should be allowed to get away with this, the courier (and retailer) have clearly broken their contract by not carrying out the service with care and skill. Is it worth seeking legal representation and threatening court action? I can't see why they would let it get that far when they are clearly in the wrong?

Many thanks for any help in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Claiming damages

There is no reason that you cannot raise a claim yourself using MCOL wthout legal support, just help here.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess that should be a total last resort really?
      Im also a bit confused as to why it has gone to the couriers solicitor, I thought my contract was with the retailer and they should be liable.
      I think a letter before action would do the job but I don't want to get in too deep and then lose the case and end up out of pocket myself.

Comment

Contact your home building insurers and report the damage, however you may find the excess you have to pay may exceed the cost of repairs but they should act on your behalf and most usually use their own contractors. If you plan to take the company to court you must obtain detailed quotes I'm afraid. I believe you are required to report any damage to your insurers whether you claim reimbursement or not but check if it will affect any no claims bonus arrangement and you may be able to include that in your claim for damages.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X