• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

moneybarn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moneybarn

Hi,
    In march 2016 i borrowed £9500 from moneybarn for a 2008 MERCEDES CLS.
    I paid £320 a month until december 2016 when i lost my job unexpectadly.
    I had paid £2880 in total
    I told moneybarn what had happened and that i would hopefully be back working soon as i am a highly skilled engineer.
    Moneybarn werent really interested and said they eould start court proceedings anyway.
    At the end of february 2017 i set up my own business and told moneybarn payments will resume at the end of march.
    Moneybarn said that only way i could keep it is if it went to court for some kind of control order and that this will cost me an additional £1500 plus the 3 months arrears of £960 so this would now put my monthly cost upto £450
    I told them no way was i excepting this extortion and wouldnt agree to it.
    Eventually i agreed to surrender the car back to them as they told me they wouldnt just sell it for anything and a reserve would be put on vehicle in auction.
    After letting the car go back which was still low mileage and in excellant condition with full service history etc i got a letter saying the reserve would be set at £3000 which is half its trade value.
    Its eventually been sold at auction for £4100
    The trade price is £6200 and retail is £8000
    Ive now received a letter from moneybarn telling me i know have to pay the balance of £11000
    How can i still owe this amount? Thats still more than the actual cost of car 12 months ago even after £7000 has been paid in last 12 months!
    This amount cant be a reasonable figure?

Thanks

Paul
    Tags: None

Re: moneybarn

Hi Solcom,

The problem you have s that you agreed to surrender the vehicle, and what that means is that they will sell the car and deduct the proceeds from the sale against the outstanding balance which you must then owe. It is common knowledge that selling a car at auction is unlikely to fetch anything near the real value of the vehicle but as a means to get rid of the car quickly and recover the outstanding balance.

The reserve might be based on what the auctioneers have suggested the car might fetch on auction in its current condition so if your looking at the value of the car as trade in or retail/private then that would not be a suitable benchmark. Plus I don't think you can have any say in how much Moneybarn set the reserve value because you've already surrendered the vehicle and as above, their job is to make a quick sale and offset the debt.

Now there could be some kind of unfair relationship with Moneybarn because if they have suggested that your only option is a control order (whatever that means) or to surrender the car, then legally speaking that is not right as you do have the option to exercise your right under section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act (voluntary termination) which would have been a better option as your liability is limited to 50% of the total price not the remainder of the outstanding balance.

Secondly, Moneybarn can't just simply issue proceedings anyway, they must have sent you a default notice first before they would be allowed to terminate and then issue proceedings for the recovery of the vehicle. All of this could suggest that an unfair relationship and perhaps aggressive commercial practices which is unlawful under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

Have you contacted Moneybarn for a breakdown of those charges? If so, what have they said or what have they supplied as the breakdown - have you checked your agreement to see if there are any additional charges which they apply in the event of a voluntary surrender?

You could look to make a formal complaint to Moneybarn and if they don't uphold your complaint then you are entitled to pursue it further to the Financial Ombudsman who might be more sympathetic. You should always seek to get nay response from Moneybarn or other lenders in writing as evidence in the event of a dispute since its harder to prove something said verbally unless the call is recorded.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X