• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

M42 Variable Speed Camera's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M42 Variable Speed Camera's

Hello. I am looking for someone to either put my mind at rest or give me some advice.

Please can someone tell me if the Variable Speed Camera's on the M42 are active if the gantry signs are NOT displaying a speed?. I have been told by a few people that they are only active when the gantry signs are showing a set speed, which is usual when traffic is heavy to try and avoid congestion. But I really don't know hence the reason I'm asking on here.

The reason I want to know is, on Fri 30th June I was travelling along this motorway with my son. We were on our way to watch the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and would be staying overnight in a hotel. It was a very bitter sweet journey for us, as this was the first time that me and my son had been away together since I lost my husband 3yrs ago, it was something that my late husband had always promised he would take my son too, and so even though he was very excited to go, he was also sad that his dad couldn't be with us.

As I was driving along the M42 (keeping with the flow of the traffic) which was travelling around 80mph, I noticed that the bridge above me had the sign on saying 'Variable Speed Camera's', but I had already gone through one at this point, however the gantry sign was not lit up. So, can anyone tell me how these Variable Speed Camera's work, are they on all the time regardless, or are they only active when the gantry sign is lit up and displaying a speed.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: M42 Variable Speed Camera's

By their very name variable speed cameras are used when a variable or lower speed limit is enforced on a motorway, e.g. 40mph, 50mph or 60mph speed limit.
    Motorway speed limits are lowered when traffic congestion increases at peak times or when there is an accident in the road ahead.
    This is to help ensure the motorway continues to move as free flowing as possible and ensure safety of motorists along the section or sections of motorway where the temporarily or variable speed limit applies.

Comment

thank you for your reply.....at the time when I passed by these variable speed cameras, there was no lower speed limit in force, i.e. the signs displaying a speed where not illuminated, so bearing that in mind, does this mean that the camera's will not of been active at that time.

Comment

Probably not switched on, so inoperative when you passed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X