• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Useless facts and information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Useless facts and information

Originally posted by des8 View Post
    useless info & possibly dangerously incorrect lol: watch that crocs tail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lk0ylZoKU
    Blame Stephen Fry
    I stole this one off QI
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

useless info & possibly dangerously incorrect lol: watch that crocs tail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lk0ylZoKU
      Blame Stephen Fry
      I stole this one off QI
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Why is my stupid internet doubling up my posts??

more useless information

Armadillos can be house trained

Your ears and your nose never stop growing

36% of Americans say that God has spoken to them (Mr Caragh insists he's never been to the states.. oh no, he just THINKS he's God!)

Comment

The word "testify" originates from the Roman courts where men were known to swear on their testicles about the truth of the matter unlike our present day Bible system.

I have an ex that told me she would remove them if i was lying.

n the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Well by my experience, the scotts are quite hard, and yourkies,,, .... not so..

In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

lol, moving on

The words “insane” and “insanity” are not recognized medical terms but rather legal ones.

• The bench in the middle of a Westminster parliament is 2 1/2 sword lengths long. This is to keep both the government and the opposition at least a sword's length away from each other in case of a heated debate.
          • The word "freelance" comes from medieval times when a knight's lance was free for hire and not pledged to any one lord.

The word "sheriff" is derived from "shire reeve." In early England, each shire had a reeve who was the law for that shire. When the term was brought to the United States it was shortened to sheriff.

The term "devil's advocate" comes from the Roman Catholic church. When deciding if someone should be sainted, a devil's advocate is appointed to speak against bestowing the sainthood upon the nominee.

Ninety-eight percent of all American drivers think they personally drive better than anyone else on the road
          ------what word could you use to replace american there, -------- _ _ _ _ _

crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post

Ninety-eight percent of all American drivers think they personally drive better than anyone else on the road
            ------what word could you use to replace american there, -------- _ _ _ _ _

I'd change it to White Van Men!

Ok lets have a think,

Hot water is heavier than cold water (apparently)

The name Wendy was made up for Peter Pan (and is also my former mother in law's real first name!)

The word FIESTY comes from the tudor word for a farting dog.

Comment

Originally posted by slainte caragh View Post

Hot water is heavier than cold water (apparently)

Yes & no.

If water is heated in a sealed container, it's relativistic mass will increase by a tiny amount.
              Also, due to the unusual properties of water, it becomes less dense at temperatures below 4 degrees C (hence the reason why ordinary ice floats in water).
              But for most purposes, 'hot' water will be less dense than colder water, a fact that has been exploited for donkeys' years.

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                Yes & no.

If water is heated in a sealed container, it's relativistic mass will increase by a tiny amount.
                Also, due to the unusual properties of water, it becomes less dense at temperatures below 4 degrees C (hence the reason why ordinary ice floats in water).
                But for most purposes, 'hot' water will be less dense than colder water, a fact that has been exploited for donkeys' years.

Ok now say that again in English!!! ta muchly!!!

more useless facts that I found out playing this yesterday

In Germany there are fake bus stops outside nursing homes to stop elderly/confused residents wandering off.

The fart bubble of a blue whale is large enough to enclose a horse.

The only domestic animal not mentioned in the bible was a cat!

Comment

Originally posted by slainte caragh View Post

The only domestic animal not mentioned in the bible was a cat!
                  or Hamster

Comment

The lint that gathers in the bottom of pockets has a name it is called Gnurr
                    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gnurr
                    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

or Hamster

I'm not sure they were classed a domestic in Judea hun

I am also pretty sure they were only domesticated after the bible was written

I know the Leviticus (you know, the one the homophobics like to misquote) states that all rat/mouse or rodent shall be classed as unclean.... sorry I was raised a Roman Catholic.

ok lets think of another one

The phrase Stone the crows comes from the vikings. They used tamed ravens and crows to fly out and bring back proof of land then would go in the direction the crow came from, so people stoned them to stop this happening

Marie Antoinette did NOT say "let them eat cake" she said "Let them eat brioche".

The Irish drink potin if you translate it literally means "little pot!"

Dublin if translated literally means blackpool!! (dubh - black lin- pool

Comment

[QUOTE=slainte caragh;737137.... sorry I was raised a Roman Catholic. [/QUOTE]

No need to apologise. We at LB are a broad church!

Comment

The phrase Stone the crows comes from the vikings

Really, I thought it was Australian and wasn't aware the Norsemen went that far!!

Comment

The phrase Stone the crows comes from the vikings

Really, I thought it was Australian and wasn't aware the Norsemen went that far!!
                            According to my sister in law it's Norse and the Aussie's pinched it

The Aussie phrase Strewth comes from I swear this is God's Truth, a legal defence against transportation.

The Irish Leprachaun should be depicted with a shoe in one hand as they were all shoemakers.. and yes I am sure this is all cobblers

McDonalds golden arches in the uk are O2 phone antennae, hence free O2 wifi and discounts for staff each way

Comment

Those plastic bits on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

This may sound old facts.
                                Almonds are member peach family.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X