• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Collectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Collectors

Hello

Can anyone give me some urgent advice please? We were on a short agreement with Mint to pay £1 per month. They've now passed it to a debt collection agency - Triton who are demanding payment of £2515.94 in full. What do I do?

I've recently been reading the advice given around legal beagles, but am I too late with anything?

Any advice would gratefully be received.

Re: Debt Collectors

No problem.
    The DCA should stick to the agreement that you had with Egg, but come to that they shouldn't of sold it anyway.

Have a read through this: Consumer Credit Agreements - A Guide - Legal Beagles

Comment

Thank you! This has started to make sense now.

I wish that I had done this with Barclaycard - I contacted the DCA (Mercers) and agreed a monthly amount. Anything I can do with this (Should I put this (and our other c card debts on a separate thread on legal beagles?)?

Comment

Hi and welcome to Legal Beagles

It is best if you start a thread for each as saves getting confused.

Hope this helps

SL xx
        Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

You can CCA them at anytime.

Comment

It may be beneficial for you to fill in an Income Expenditure Chart
            If you use this the Legal Beagles version HERE
            it will also calculate the pro rata payments you should be offering your creditors
            If you fill it in honestly with real figures, dont overstretch yourslef etc.

This will then give you a better view of your finances,
            if you wish you can also send it to one of the team then we can advise you more clearly,as we will have a full picture of your circumstances

PKea

Comment

Hi,

We're still working with our accountant on our income and expenditure as my husband is self employed.

I read all the info kindly given above and sent a "Prove it" letter to the DCA.

Oooh, they've sent a lovely reply - please see attached! (they did not enclose anything with the letter, although they suggest it)

hlg43

Comment

ooo harsh letter lol.

Reply simply intially asking them for the copy they say was enclosed but wasn't doesnt need any more than that at the mo. I assume this was in response to a CCA request ? Do you have the letter you sent to them ? can you post it ta.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi,

I did not send a CCA, just a "prove it" letter and have not sent anything yet to Mint.

"Triton Credit Services
                  PO Box 5827
                  Basildon
                  SS14 1XS

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: The Royal Bank of Scotland plc £2515.94

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Triton Credit Services.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question; please ensure that any contact by yourselves is made in writing only to the above address. Telephone calls and personal visits will not be accepted and viewed as harassment.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply"

Comment

hmmmmmm

I'd write asking for the CCA to Triton formally in that case. Use the CCA Letter from the library or CB's thread.

you want them to accept the £1 payment same as mint did ? so really need to get the IE sorted out...the CCA should stall them for a bit so you can get that in order and make a repayment offer (if they come up with it)
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi

See attached letter received today - crossed in the post with my CCA letter to the DCA (only sent it this morning)

My intention is to send the SAR letter to the original company. Does anyone know if I can still dispute the debt with them at this stage?

Birdie

Comment

Do you dispute you owe the money?

Comment

I dispute some of the charges, but not the rest, cos I spent it!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I guess that answers my question doesn't it!

Comment

The CCA is meant to get you some breathing space, and see if Triton are meant to be collecting on the debt and push it back to the original creditor - in order that you can make a payment arrangement and /or proceed with reclaiming charges.

It wasn't meant as a way of avoiding the debt entirely,

Just so thats clear.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks Ame. No not trying to avoid the debt entirely as I spent it as I said above, just trying to sort some of the charges - eventually.

At this point in time, should I send off the SAR letter to the OC, or wait to hear back from Triton?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X