• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance tax query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance tax query

If someones estate is below the inheritance tax limit of £325,000 can they give away more than £3000 per year. Does the £3000 rule only apply to estates over £325,000?
    Tags: None

Re: Inheritance tax query

Hi,
    I think you are referring to the annual exemption of £3,000 which applies to every one irrespective of their estate size. From the Gov't website: https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts
    'Exempted gifts. You can give away £3,000 worth of gifts each tax year (6 April to 5 April) without them being added to the value of your estate. This is known as your 'annual exemption'. You can carry any unused annual exemption forward to the next year - but only for one year.'
    Hope this helps?
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Im trying to clarify if say a widower has savings and assets of eg £100,000 and he decides to share eg £80,000 of it between his 2 children less than 7 years before he dies, would the £80,000 he gave away be added to his remaining £20,000 to form the value of his estate.
      Does it matter that he has given away more that the £3000 as his estate would be under the £325,000 threshold anyway

Comment

Hi,
        The 7 year Potentially Exempt Transfer Rule (PET) is separate to the Annual Personal Allowance Rule. As a gift over the £3,000 was made in the 7 years prior to the death depending on the amount of the gift and whether by including the gift inheritance tax becomes payable it may become necessary to complete an IHT400 form, instead of the IHT205 (excepted estates form).
        On the IHT205 the first page has tick boxes to answer various questions including were any gifts made in the 7 years prior to the death. If those gifts were over £150,000 (even if there will still be no inheritance tax to pay) then an IHT400 needs to be completed.
        If the gifts were below £150,000 in the 7 years prior to death then the IHT205 for excepted estates can still be completed.
        Here's the IHT205 see question 2 https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...T205_2011_.pdf
        This link may be useful and there is also the helpline that you can contact if needs be regarding the IHT position: https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X