• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT Debt recovery through Lowells, not in my name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT Debt recovery through Lowells, not in my name?

I had a BT account back in 2010 but they made an error when setting up the account and got my name wrong but refused to change the details, i cancelled this account and i am pretty sure i paid it off.

A few months ago had a telephone conversation with Lowells regarding another debt and while i was on the phone they informed me they had this other debt from BT for me to pay. I refused to discuss anything regarding debts i wasnt aware of and said they had to write to me with details as i would not acknowledge or accept anything merely stated on the phone, as far as i was concerned i owed no money to BT.

I have had a letter recently regarding this debt, from Lowells. I do recall the account but as i said im sure it was settled in full when i cancelled but i no longer have access to the bank account used to pay it or the letters as i had a clear out and got rid of all my old bills that i no longer needed.

Is there any way to retreive the information regarding payment?

If it turns out i didnt pay it, am i legally bound to pay it now with the details being incorrect?

Would asking for information such as final statements, transferral of debt etc be acknowledgement as i would of thought it was statute barred but it wasnt logged for default until 2013 for some reason?

The reason i am asking is i dont want to pay it and get accused of commiting fraud etc as it is not my name on the account.

Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X