• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do I really need Waste Carriers Licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need Waste Carriers Licence

Good evening. Im am a self employed delivery driver and own a large van. As Im the only one of my friends and family who own a van they always call on me when they want something moving and I am happy to oblige. The other day a friend was moving house and needed to dispose of some large broken furniture and asked if i could take them to the tip. I said yes and we went to the council tip with all his paperwork to show he was living in the town and entitled to use the tip. The man in the tip office said if i came again, I would need a waste carriers licence or I would get fined for transporting waste. I asked him to explain and he said if the waste was my own then there would be no problem but because it wasnt mine i needed a licence. I checked online when I got home and part of what he said was true, you need a licence to transport someone elses waste, but the site says you only need a licence if you transport waste as part of your trade. I dont do that, my work has nothing to do with transporting waste, I only do it free of charge to help people out who cant transport it for themselves. What gets me is, if i didnt drive the van but let the person whose waste it was drive the van, even though its the same waste in the back of the van, there would be no problem. But most of my family and friends cant drive! Its as if the council are trying to get money out of people one way or another because you either pay for a licence or you can pay them to remove the waste.

Do I need a waste carriers licence to take friend and family waste to the local tip?
    Tags: None

Re: Do I really need Waste Carriers Licence

Hi and welcome
    Short answer is "No, you do not need to register as a waste carrier with environment agency and you do not need a licence"
    Was this the site you looked at: https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-...-registration?
    The full regulations are here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Comment

Thank you. Yes that is the site i went to. The guy at the tip seemed very sure i would need a licence. Would it be worth printing off the legislation and keeping it in my van in case it happens again? I dont want to be faced with a fine for doing family and friends a good turn. Is there any particular part of the legislation I can highlight to show if needed?

Comment

I doubt the jobsworth is capable of reading it!

Exemptions in relation to carriers

26.—(1) The following are not required to be a registered carrier of controlled waste for the purposes of section 1 of the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989—
        (a)
        a carrier who is a specified person and who does not normally and regularly transport controlled waste;

Comment

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X