• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accept a Tomlin Order?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accept a Tomlin Order?

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help please? I have issued a claim against my builder in the Small Claims court and I am representing myself. His Solicitor has contacted me and made me an offer which I'm happy to accept although he said he would make the application for a Tomlin Order?
    Essentially, I'm not sure if I should accept a Tomlin order and does it protect me if the builder decides not to pay up? Should I suggest a different Order?

Thanks
    Belas
    Tags: None

Re: Accept a Tomlin Order?

Tomlin is really just another word for a Consent order - there are differences but people tend to use the word interchangeably.

If you had your builders solicitor draft the order it would need to be agreed (and signed) by you before it could be lodged at court, so you could get the proposed order checked out before agreeing.

It should be

Builder pays you xxxxxx by xxxxx on xxx/xxx/xxxx
    If he doesn't you get judgment.
    If he does you agree to discontinue the claim.

so basically if the builder agrees to pay you, then doesn't, you automatically get judgment against him and then can move to enforcement.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst,
      Even with the inclusion of the above, my concern is how difficult it is to get enforcement? Will the court do this? I know this is easier with a consent order?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Tomlin is really just another word for a Consent order - there are differences but people tend to use the word interchangeably.

If you had your builders solicitor draft the order it would need to be agreed (and signed) by you before it could be lodged at court, so you could get the proposed order checked out before agreeing.

It should be

If he does you agree to discontinue the claim.

so basically if the builder agrees to pay you, then doesn't, you automatically get judgment against him and then can move to enforcement.
        There is a big (legal) difference between a Consent Order and a Tomlin Order.

With a Tomlin Order any settlement agreed between the parties is set out in the "Schedule" which cannot be subsequently varied by the court.

With a Tomlin Order the legal proceedings are stayed (not concluded).

With a Consent Order the proceedings are concluded so the next legal step open to the Claimant would be enforcement of the Consent Order or an Application by either party to vary the Order (not easily done).

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Belas View Post
          he said he would make the application for a Tomlin Order?
          Essentially, I'm not sure if I should accept a Tomlin order and does it protect me if the builder decides not to pay up? Should I suggest a different Order?
          The Defendant cannot make an Application for a Tomlin Order. That's not a legal option.

You've apparently issued a claim.

You've not said when your claim was issued (or for how much) but if the Defendant (the builder) has not filed their Acknowledgement of Service (within 19 days of the claim Issue Date) then you may be in a position to enter a Default Judgment (a CCJ).

If the Defendant has filed an AOS then they must file a Defence within 33 days of the claim a Issue Date.

What stage have these legal proceedings reached?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Belas View Post
            Thanks Amethyst,
            . . . . my concern is how difficult it is to get enforcement? Will the court do this? I know this is easier with a consent order?
            Yes it is

Di

Comment

It should be
              If he does you agree to discontinue the claim..
              A court cannot 'order' a claim to be discontinued so that cannot be included in any Consent or Tomlin Order which needs to be ratified by the court.

Di

Comment

A breach of any Tomlin Order requires a 'return to court' before any judgment (CCJ) and subsequent enforcement kicks in (since the proceedings are stayed).

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X