• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays (named executors) lost only copy of my dad's will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays (named executors) lost only copy of my dad's will

Dear Legal Beagles
    When my mum died in 2014, we discovered a payment coming out of her bank account and we didn't know what it was for. It was a kind of safety deposit box provided by Barclays but no one could tell us what was in it unless we cancelled the service and retrieved the goods inside. We cancelled the service, thinking it could be my mums Will, it turned out to be my dad's Will. Since then dads Will was kept at home. We meant to have it put back into a safety deposit box but never got round to it.

Well Dad passed away in February 2017, so we began to sort out his affairs. Barclays were named as the sole executor. We didn’t know what that meant at the time. We took the Will to the Barclays local branch for them to send a certified copy to their Wills and Probate department which they did, or was supposed to have done. Four weeks later and we didn’t hear anything back from the Wills department. I called them to chase it up and they said they hadn’t received the copy and I would have to resend another certified copy. I went into the local branch to find out what happened and they said the certified copy must have been sent in the external post (royal mail) instead of the internal post as they could not track it. Now we can’t find the original Will anywhere. This turns out to be a blessing in disguise, as a solicitor told us that without the original Will or certified copy Barclays could not execute the Will and this would save us tones of money.

Since then, I decided not to peruse Barclays regarding the Will and have applied for probate myself, due to Dads estate now being intestate. Because the estate is intestate the law decides on the beneficiaries and the division of the estate, which is no different from what was in the Will anyway, us three daughters getting equal share of the estate. The only difference was that Barclays would have been quid’s in by being the ‘professional executor’.

I am completely happy to administer the estate myself, it is a very simple estate and in fact have already applied and been granted probate or letters of administration to be specific. There was no inheritance tax due because we gained mums nil band rate which doubled dads allowance to £650000. The whole estate is valued at about £450000 and we got a surveyor to evaluate the property so that we knew we had a proper valuation for inheritance tax purposes. All that’s left to do now is to sell the property, pay the liabilities, and divide the remainder by 3.

A company called Zedra have been calling me once or twice a week to get another copy of dads Will, I believe they act on behalf of Barclays. I have avoided talking to them, I don’t really know what to say. Is there a way they can find a copy of the Will and prosecute me for my actions of applying for probate? Should I be thinking about complaining to Barclays for losing their copy of the Will and potentially receive compensation? I did a search on Google for any similar stories but can’t find anything, this is how I realised how much Barclays would have made out of my dad’s estate.

Although in this instance the circumstances have meant that we are better off, unknowingly to them, I can’t help thinking “what if dads Will was different” what if he had left all of his money to someone specific, this would mean that this person could have lost out on hundreds of thousands of pounds because of the negligence of Barclays. Another issue is data protection surely, they have misplaced a very sensitive, confidential and legal document, surely they should be liable for damages or something. I know it's like the pot calling the kettle black but the information belonged to us and they are a professional financial institution who we trusted with this valuable document and the information contained within it.

What should I do? Your advice would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Barclays (named executors) lost only copy of my dad's will

Haha Barclays managed to foul up and can only blame themselves.

Zedra are an investment group that acquired a majority sheareholding in Barclays trust and fiduciary business. Barclays retain about 20%.
    If they call again, tell them that as Barclays lost the original will and there are no copies they should stop calling you.
    If they continue you will report them for harrassment

As the will has gone missing, you had to apply for probate to settle the estate. There was no choice, and you cannot be prosecuted.
    The worse that could happen if the will is found is that Barclays could apply to have your grant called in.
    The effect of such revocation is that you can no longer act, but you are protected under sec 27 Administration of Estates Act 1925, provided you acted in good faith.

If you are basically distributing the estate according to the wishes of the testator as expressed in the missing will, I believe Barclays/ Zedra would be on a losing wicket if they find the document and try to have your grant called in.

Regarding the question of damages, you cannot claim on the basis someone unknown may have lost out.
    Similarly re data protection, the will has gone missing, possibly shredded. Difficult to show a breach?

IMO you should, as personal representative, get on with your duties!
    [MENTION=85500]Peridot[/MENTION]

Comment

Hi ronna

I'm no expert in these matters, but a due to a recent bereavement I understand that if you are applying for Grant of Representation due to intestacy you should conduct a reasonable (& demonstrable) search for any potential will.
      It is also advisable to put a notice in the London Gazette & local papers to give an open notice of the bereavement.
      As long as you have conducted a reasonable search for anyone who might have an interest or entitlement, you're pretty much covered.
      We also contacted all the solicitors within a 6 mile radius of the deceased's home.
      I believe that you can get a combined will search/Gazette etc service for a fairly modest (in the grand scheme, that is) fee.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thankyou for your response.
        if Barclays do try to call the grant in, could i request them to resign as executor due to their incompetence? We have now lost all confidence in their ability and that they are the only ones to gain from such action.

Comment

You can ask them to resign their appointment, but if there are several thousands at stake do you think they will go quietly?
          Don't worry about Barclays, unless and until they find the will.
          Just get on with dealing with the estate as you have the grant.

Comment

Hi Ronna,
            I would agree with Des8. Let Zedra know that the Will and the certified copy of the Will were lost so the Grant has been obtained and administration commenced. You could complete a will search which is what Charitynjw I believe is suggesting but how does that help you? You know where the will was and unless there is a chance of locating a more recent will what would be the point. Provided the residuary beneficiaries are receiving what they would have in any event there is no issue. If the will did not effectively leave the children the estate in equal shares then maybe it would be worth searching a little harder maybe? However if as you say the will had the same effect as dealing with the estate under an intestacy then no-one has lost.

The reason for notices would maybe be the s27 notice in the gazette and local newspaper but this is to do with creditors not searching for wills by providing notice of the death. If you are sure there are no debts that you are unaware of then why both, other than to protect yourselves in the event an unknown creditor is out there who later pursues you for the debt. In that case you would be liable for the debt as you had not put notices in the Gazette/local newspaper. Provided you accept this there is no issue in not placing notices.

If you would prefer to cover all bases or are unsure whether there are creditors out there then it may be sensible to protect your position and take the s27 notice, which has to be visible for 2 months in the London Gazette and a local paper. Then if any creditors crawled out at a later point they would have to put up and shut up so to speak, as notices had been placed. Here's the gazette link https://www.thegazette.co.uk/place-notice or there are company's out there who will place the necessary notices for you and usually cost approx. £200 to do so. But you don't have to, just be aware of the consequences if you don't.

Don't panic, the will or a certified copy would have to be produced which could then be applied to the probate grant and even then it is not the end of the world unless it is materially different to how you have divided the estate, which you say it is not.
            I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Could a copy of the original Will be located anywhere else? If so then it would be possible to have the Grant amended but an application to the Court would be necessary to admit the copy Will, the presumption being that your father had revoked the original. You have the issue that you believe you had the original Will. Technically this should have been dealt with when dealing with obtaining the Grant of Probate.
              If the Bank applied to have you removed as personal representative of the estate (administrator) and them replaced as executors then the Court would look at the circumstances and also consider the the welfare of the beneficiaries and the effect the administration has had on the outcome. The Courts would take a pragmatic view so if there is no loss to any of the beneficiaries and there were no other gifts in the Will it is doubtful an order would be made.
              You are sure the will effect was the same as the intestacy rules that would be followed in the event the will was never located or presumed destroyed?
              Beneficiaries in certain categories could make a claim if they believe the will has not been honoured, so this would be a possibility in the event the rules of intestacy that you have followed did not correspond to the will wishes.
              I hope that clarifies matters a bit.
              I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X