• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

receiving letters for a debt that is not mine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: receiving letters for a debt that is not mine?

I'm old fashioned (comes with age lol) and I always confirm everything in writing.
    Just get "proof of posting" (free).
    I would never deal with peeps like restons or Shop Direct or BT (or anyone really) on the phone.

Crossed with Mike follow his advice as he knows more than I
    Last edited by des8; 21st June 2017, 09:32:AM. Reason: crossed with Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
      send it Recorded Delivery and attach to a copy of the letter sent, as Restons are useless when told to do something, you have evidence if they do not follow the request
      Thank you I will send one recorded delivery

Comment

Hi I've received 3 letters this morning from shop direct stating they hold the wrong name, address and date of birth for me and asking me to send proof of my identity to them! I'm a bit reluctant to send this as if they don't have the right details then why are they chasing me for this debt that is not mine? This debt was put into the customers name like I've been telling them from the start, do I have to give them documents of my identity? Is this legal chasing me for a debt that is quite clearly not mine? Thank you in advance

Comment

Was this request in response to your SAR?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            Was this request in response to your SAR?
            i think yes

Comment

have you changed your name (married?)and address (moved)since you last had dealings with Shop Direct in 2006.
              I assume you haven't yet reached the stage of lying about your age!!

Comment

have you changed your name (married?)and address (moved)since you last had dealings with Shop Direct in 2006.
                I assume you haven't yet reached the stage of lying about your age!!
                li haven't changed my name but I have moved however they must have both my real name and address because they've been sending me letters

Comment

Well write back and remind them that as they are already writing to you in your real name at your correct address you cannot possibly understand what they mean or why they require proof of identity, and remind them they only have a limited time in which to reply to your SAR

Comment

Well write back and remind them that as they are already writing to you in your real name at your correct address you cannot possibly understand what they mean or why they require proof of identity, and remind them they only have a limited time in which to reply to your SAR
                    Morning Des

I once had this problem with Cap 1......they demanded 'high level' proof of ID (passport, diving licence etc).
                    So we had a little game of letter tennis (me saying that, if they had previously sent statements et al addressed to a person at the quoted address, it was sheer idiocy to now demand proof of ID).
                    They did see the error of their ways & eventually stumped up the requested documentation, but it required persistence.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You could also mention to them that if they are uncertain of the identity of the person from whom they are requesting payment they are in breach of Regulation 3 of the Protection
                      from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and section 3.5 of OFT's guidance on debt collection.
                      Accordingly they are to desist asking you for payment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X