• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property Bought to Demolish and build a new house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Bought to Demolish and build a new house

Please could you assist with any information regarding if or how much council tax I should be paying

I bought a bungalow over 2 years ago that required a lot of work doing to it , so have put in planning for it to be re built.

I have removed all water/Gas/Electric connections to the property 2 years ago and there is no bathroom or Kitchen just the shell of the house.

I have carried on paying for 2 years council tax which is band D to the value of £1562.11 a year . Should I be paying this ? No one lives there as it is unhabitable .

Ant information on this before I go to the council would be appreciated

Regards Steve
    Tags: None

Re: Property Bought to Demolish and build a new house

Council tax charges depend on your individual council polices.
    Empty properties can sometimes lead to an increase of 50% on top of the standard rate. This however is for habitable properties to discourage owners of just leaving them. Derelict can be free of charge but I'm not sure yours can be classified as derelict as you intentionally have made it unhabitable. See here:https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/secon...pty-properties

Comment

Re: Property Bought to Demolish and build a new house

It depends on the state of the property IE is it derelict or uninhabitable
      The house exists, i.e. it is an hereditament and appears from your post not to be derelict but uninhabitable and will therefore be placed in a tax band.
      It would have been worth obtaining a new rating valuation from the VOA, which would probably have put it into band A.as it is unnhabitable.

On the other hand perhaps works being carried out are so extensive that the property would be deemed not to be an hereditament, and so not placed in a tax band.
      http://manuals.voa.gov.uk/corporate/...t-man-pn4.html

It is then up to the council as to whether or not they waive the rates

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X