• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot and overdraft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot and overdraft?

Can someone please direct me in how we deal with overdrafts and DCA chasing? I understand that O/D doesn't fall under the CCA anymore? So what if any defence in terms of requests of paperwork do we have?
    Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot and overdraft?

Hi
    A lot will depend on when the OD was opened and defaulted

If it is post 2011 ( i think) might be 2012 they should re set the OD each years and give you the terms and conditions

Additionally , just how was the OD arrived at, is a large part charges, or did they suddenly without warning recall the OD - all these things are relevant

Comment

Long story short, had RTA 2008, already had OD facility on account, after 18mth without any financial recompense and dodgey solicitors, I defaulted on accounts and closed bank account with OD balance. Can't remember specific date could find if so wished.

Comment

How long is it since the last payment was made and the bank made a formal demand- looks like it could be close to Statute barred unless you have been making payments

Comment

Therein lies the problem initially i was making a nominal payment per month believing I was doing the right thing, then I was asked to make payments to Cabot, being overly stressed I just continued without question making payments think the last payment was towards end of '16??
          Having had no help from Cabot and he not continual pestering I just stopped paying as I was tired of paying for debts accumulated by someone else's incompetence namely the rogue solicitor.
          Oh how I wished I was more clued up all those years ago.

Comment

No point in beating yourself up as who knows what would have happened in the past

A few years ago there were a couple of debt purchasers who frequently tried to (and succeeded ) in making people bankrupt for small sums - over £750

I spent 6 years paying a lot of money into a DMP- and being told by a friend this was the right thing to do . No use crying about it now

Comment

So what to do?

Comment

What are the letters saying

Comment

They say that they believe that they have administered the account correctly and want me to contact them to make a payment arrangement.

Comment

Is there any direct threat of litigation yet? ('Will' go to court, as opposed to may/might).
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

No not at this time.
                      Last edited by Onestepatatime; 4th June 2017, 22:37:PM. Reason: Misspell

Comment

If it were me I'd SAR the bank for all data held, & use that as a starting point.
                        Look for evidence of unfair charges.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

With it being an overdraft, what am I looking for from them? In all honesty our relationship with bank was very good up until the RTA. There were no charges other than standard monthly account charge.

Comment

All kinds of things; OTT charges, charges applied when/if a small payment was bounced, missold packaged accounts etc.

The best thing would be to do some googling re unfair bank charges, check with the details obtained via the SAR & go on from there.

You may also come under the FCA rules & guidance re financial difficulties/hardship.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Just an update, arrived home from work to letters from Cabot, apparently they understand what debt does and would like to help me reduce my debts with an offer just for me!? All I have to do is give them a call- odd seeing as I've requested all communication is to be in written format.
                              Anyhow should I be excited and expect an offer of let's say 1p more in the pound than what they bought it for, every business has to turn a profit let's be fair.

Or is there more to this letter than meets the eye in that they have no supporting documentation to make a claim?
                              Thoughts please?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X