• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Pre Claim Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Pre Claim Letter

Hi, I have today received a letter from Mortimer Clarke Solicitors dated 19th May. It states their client is Cabot Financial and the original creditor is Lloyds Banking Group with an outstanding balance of £2070.34. The letter states that they have been instructed to file for a CCJ if I do not respond within 14 days of the letter. The only thing I can remember taking out with Lloyds was a student credit card in 2007 or 2008 when I was at uni but I have no idea when I last made a payment or contacted them. If I contact Mortimer Clarke to find out and there is only say a couple of weeks before the debt become statute barred (sorry if that's spelt wrong) would I have just started the 6 years off again so that they can now claim? Also I am not sure of whether I ever signed any paperwork for this or applied online (I think the latter) so if I write to Mortimer Clarke asking for a copy of the CCA does this count as me responding within the 14 days and prevent them from claiming for now or can they go ahead and file for a CCJ if payments are not agreed in that time? If the debt is still owed then I will be asking for a monthly payment plan with them as I can't afford the debt but desperately want to avoid getting a CCJ. I would only be able to afford around £25 a month as I am a single mum to a 2 year old working part time and paying for child care, renting privately and receiving a small amount of child tax credits and housing benefit. My ex husband left recently leaving me behind a whole list of other debts and credit cards to pay off including £400 I just had to pay out to prevent another CCJ. I have no real knowledge of how all these processes work but a CCJ will stop me from renting a home.Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Pre Claim Letter

Hi kw6123

Firstly, Cabot/MC cannot file for a CCJ. They have to initiate a court claim, then they have to prove they're legally entitled to the alleged debt. Unless & until they can satisfy a judge that they do have that right, there will not be a CCJ.

You can make that task difficult for them!

That letter from MC does seem to be a letter before action/claim. Does it say 'will' go to court, or is it 'may/might'?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The letter says 'we ask you to pay the sum of £2070.34 to this office within 14 days of the date of this letter, failing which, we have been instructed by our client to issue a claim against you in the County Court'

Comment

Sorry first time posting not sure if I should start a new thread or not? I have the same letter dated the same date must have gone out as a batch but with a higher amount, i was just wondering if asking for proof of the credit agreement would count as admission of the credit? Sorry again if I should have started a new thread it just the exact same letter

Comment

Hi to both
          Dizzy it is best if you start your own thread but this answer applies to both

First you need to send a CCA request to the creditor ( I am assuming cabot) You will need to send a £1 postal order with the request and send it by Royal mail signed for ( costs about £1.70)
          CCA Request

Keep a copy and keep the post office receipt so you can track it

Second send this letter to the solicitors , you may wish to add somewhere I do not acknowledge any debt to either you or your client but as the letter doesn't actually acknowledge liability you should be ok
          Dear Sirs
          Ref: xxxxxx
          Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx. As the letter contains a threat of litigation, it is being treated as a formal letter before action. As such, I refer you to paragraph 3 of the Practice Direction Pre-Action Conduct, which states: “before commencing proceedings, the court will expect the parties to have exchanged sufficient information to (a) understand each other’s position; (b) make decisions about how to proceed;”
          Paragraph 6 states “the parties should exchange correspondence and information to comply with the objectives“ and Paragraph 6 (c) of refers to “the parties disclosing key documents relevant to the issues in dispute.” My request refers to the documents I require to obtain the necessary information to assess my position in this case.
          I require copies of the following:
          1. The original agreement
          2. The Default Notice
          3. The Deed of assignment
          4. The Notice of assignment
          5. Statements of account

These documents would be expected to be supplied if proceedings were issued and would likely be in your possession if you were issuing a claim. If you consider that there is difficulty in providing a copy of a document, please identify that document and the reason.
          In addition a S77-79 request was sent on xx/xx/xx and I am waiting a response (copy enclosed for your information)
          I shall being able to provide you with a full response to your letter within 14 days of receipt of the documents listed above and also reserve the right to refer to the contents of this letter if proceedings are issued without first providing copy documents to me.
          Yours faithfully,
          The bits in red need adjusting to your own situation

Comment

[MENTION=72807]kw6123[/MENTION]

If the debts you ex has left you with are not in your name (or joint names) you should not be paying them - you are not responsible . Maybe a visit to CAB or a chat with National Debt line https://www.nationaldebtline.org/

Comment

Thank you very much Warwick65. That's very useful. I will send the letters tomorrow. Unfortunately the debts are in my sole name. With the ability to apply for accounts and sign agreements electronically my ex partner opened several catalogue accounts in my name as he knew all my personal informatiom and then maxed them all out, many of them without me even knowing he had opened them. This debt to Lloyds is the only one likely to be mine. Many Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X