• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ladidi v Abbey - settlement offer ** SETTLED**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banks granted unfair charges waiver

Halifax Bank Charges - The Consumer Forums

Do we accept Natwests' offer? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

oops sorry got sidetracked will look later xxx if anyone fancies pulling together stuff so we can get a clearer picture espesh off CAG as its a right pest on mis user. apparently theres quite a few on MSE but not being an afficionado on there I get well lost instantly lol.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Ladidi View Post
      so all in all, all I need is a very carefully and nicely chose email to send off to them accepting their 70% part offer plus interest of course :tinysmile_twink_t2: if I can push enough for it and make it known that I will be wanting the rest at a very much later date when all is concluded :tinysmile_grin_t:

Anyone got any help with that very carefully worded statement I need to fire off to them?
      lol go on woman have a bash we can have a play with it later
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I dont know wether this is good news or bad news, but here goes.

In light of the banks being given a further waiver, I emailed the Legal dept with in depth conversation/written/emailed letter as to our current circumstances. Anyway, not expecting that much of a good reply except everything on hold blah blah. They got back to me today and offered to settle our case for 65% of the value. The total value when we submitted it to court in June last year was £5362.13 They was offering a paltry £3485.38 we declind this straightway and they made another offer of 70% stating they would not go higher than this, this was their legal person, anyway as I was at work and speaking ont he phone at the time I said I would have reveiw this and talkit over with my husband and would get back to him. I have not been able to do this, but felt the best people to ask would all you loverly people on here

Does anyone have any sound advice for me or what legal terminology I can use to force them to up their offer?

Many Thanks

Ladidi
        I think you have received some excellent advice above, but the simple truth is, only you can decide if 70% is enough for you to settle now.

If it is, then take the money, given that as Ame and Budgie have pointed out, if the outcome of the test case (when it is finally concluded) should mean that you have been disadvantaged by accepting this offer, you will be paid any difference in the amount of compensation actually received and that that you would have been entitled if you had not accepted this offer.

In short, you cannot lose.

I think what is very telling however, is that suddenly certain banks seem awfully keen to settle, which speaks volumes for their confidence as to the final outcome.

Finally, do not worry about any guff they send you regarding full and final settlement, should you accept this offer. Full and final settlements are rarely binding and you will have little trouble overturning any such agreement.

Comment

so all in all, all I need is a very carefully and nicely chose email to send off to them accepting their 70% part offer plus interest of course :tinysmile_twink_t2: if I can push enough for it and make it known that I will be wanting the rest at a very much later date when all is concluded :tinysmile_grin_t:

Anyone got any help with that very carefully worded statement I need to fire off to them?
          Short and sweet is best, something like this.

Dear

Ladidi -v- Abbey
          Claim Number:

Thank you for your email of (date)

Your offer of £xxxx.xx is not acceptable as you have failed to take into account the statutory interest owing on the £xxxx.xx, which today amounts to £xxxx.xx and my costs of £xx.xx. and which would not have been payable had your company paid me this sum before I was forced to litigate.

However, in the interests of an early settlement and to ensure a speedy resolution to this claim I will accept an immediate payment of £xxxx.xx to be made to me at the account details previously provided to you, please telephone me if you do not still have them.

Yours sincerely

Comment

ok, I have had a go at writing a nice reply..

Dear Mr ****

Without Prejudice

I am sending this email in relation to our telephone call we have had today on 23/07/2008 re your offer of 70% of our claim total of £5362.13. As you will be aware this total is to date as of 18/06/2007 when our claim against Abbey was filed into court.

After having a chance to talk with my husband as I explained in our telephone call and having reviewed the waver terms and conditions we would only consider this as a payment on account, not in final settlement of our claim.

We would also like to draw your attention that according to the terms of the waiver:-

(16)
            if the firm attempts to resolve a relevant charges complaint after 27 July 2007:
            The Financial Services Authority
            (a) the firm must not seek agreement from the complainant that the resolution is in full and final settlement of the matter;
            (b) in relation to such complaints, if the outcome of the test case produces a result that is more favourable to the complainant, the firm must take all reasonable steps to pay any difference in the amount of compensation actually received by the complainant and that that the complainant would have been entitled if his claim has not been settled by the firm then; and
            (c) the firm must explain the implications of its approach and commitment;

(15)
            to the extent that sums are ultimately to be paid to complainants in respect of relevant charges complaints that have been stayed, the firm must include in these sums an element of compensation in respect of interest charged to or lost by the customer as a result of being out of money during the stay period;

As I have previously said and will reiterate it again, we will accept the 70% offer as part payment with interest totalling £4053.46 and this is not in any way a full and final settlement conclusion. We would also like to draw you to fact that we would like this payment to be made to us by cheque

We shall look forward to hearing from you soon.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this???

Comment

See Cetelcos post above, personally I would combine the two but Cets better at letters lol.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ok I have tweaked it a bit :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Dear Mr ****

Without Prejudice

I am sending this email in relation to our telephone call we have had today on 23/07/2008 re your offer of 70% of our claim total of £5362.13. As you will be aware this total is to date as of 18/06/2007 when our claim against Abbey was filed into court. We would also like to point out that when you made your offer of 70% you had not taken into account the statutory interest owing on on the £5362.13 which at 23rd July 2008 now totals at £5791.10 including interest due and also my costs of £300.00 and which would not have been payable had your company paid me this sum before we was forced to litigate.

However having had a chance to talk with my husband as I explained in our telephone call and having reviewed the waver terms and conditions we would only consider this as a part payment on account, not in final settlement of our claim.

We would also like to draw your attention that according to the terms of the waiver:-

(16)
                if the firm attempts to resolve a relevant charges complaint after 27 July 2007:
                The Financial Services Authority
                (a) the firm must not seek agreement from the complainant that the resolution is in full and final settlement of the matter;
                (b) in relation to such complaints, if the outcome of the test case produces a result that is more favourable to the complainant, the firm must take all reasonable steps to pay any difference in the amount of compensation actually received by the complainant and that that the complainant would have been entitled if his claim has not been settled by the firm then; and
                (c) the firm must explain the implications of its approach and commitment;

(15)
                to the extent that sums are ultimately to be paid to complainants in respect of relevant charges complaints that have been stayed, the firm must include in these sums an element of compensation in respect of interest charged to or lost by the customer as a result of being out of money during the stay period;

As I have previously said and will reiterate it again, we will accept the 70% offer as part payment with interest totalling £4053.46 and this is not in any way a full and final settlement conclusion. We would also like to draw you to fact that we would like this payment to be made to us by cheque

We shall look forward to hearing from you soon.

Comment

Being blunt about it, I would use a much shorter version, such as the one I posted.

I am not emotionally attached to what I posted and will not be the slightest bit offended if you choose not to use it (not that I would know either way) but my reasoning is as follows.

They will not read anything you send in any great detail and I can assure you that they are also very well versed in the minutiae of the waiver conditions and what they mean in relation to settlement offers now. It is implicit in the waiver conditions that any offers made now will have to be adjusted, should they fall short of what you are due once the test case has reached a conclusion.

Regarding "full and final settlement" this is often found in a letter sent by a party to a contract with a payment or offer of payment in an attempt to settle a dispute between the parties. The cheque, or offer of a cheque is normally for a lesser amount than the disputed sum.

The common view is that if the receiver of the cheque cashes the cheque, or accepts the offer and subsequently cashes the cheque sent then he has been taken to accept the lesser amount as settling the dispute between the parties. A contract having arisen, with the sender proposing the terms of the contract by sending the letter and the cheque/offer, indicating a method of acceptance, that is by cashing the cheque.

This view is incorrect and is supported by previous case law. The correct view is to examine the intention of the receiving party. The intention by the receiving party must be to accept the cheque/offer of payment in settlement/satisfaction of the dispute for there to be a binding contractual settlement of the dispute. In every case, it is a question of fact whether this has occurred or not. (see Stour Valley Builders (a Firm) v Stuart and Another [1993] and The Commissioners of Inland Revenue v Fry [2001])

Given that the waiver expressly sets out that you must be compensated to the full value of any claim, should the test case produce a result that is more favourable to you than any sum they offer in early settlement, then I would consider that mentioning it now is unnecessary – it is already provided for you by the terms of the waiver.

However, timing is key, as Bracken v Billinghurst [2003] showed where an employer, who had been awarded £45,000 as the result of an adjudication, told the building contractor on the other side that it would accept just £6,000 in settlement of this award. The other side decided to send a cheque to the employer for £5,000 in full and final settlement. However, in this case the covering letter stated that if the offer was not accepted the employer should return the cheque. Two weeks passed before the employer cashed the cheque and wrote to the contractor rejecting the offer in settlement and furthermore stated that it would pursue them for the total award. The court held that this was too long a period for it to have held the cheque and not informed the contractor of its intentions. This delay, combined with the clear terms set out in the contractor's letter, meant that there had been accord and satisfaction (i.e. the debt had been settled at only £5,000).

This last case highlights the dangers present in this area and the importance of acting quickly. One cannot treat a sum received as a payment on account without informing the other party of this intention sufficiently quickly.

Therefore, I would accept their offer, with the short version of the email above, safe in the knowledge that the terms of the waiver will protect you against any disadvantage, but also write to them after they have paid you, informing them that you do not accept that the sum they just paid you is in full and final settlement, but that you intend to rely on s.16 a and b of the waiver.

Keep your cards close to your chest, until you have been paid.

Comment

I have read all that Cet and I understand that F&F can be overturned and should be automatically by the waiver terms...however I'm not sure about ''in the interests of an early settlement and to ensure a speedy resolution to this claim'' coming from the Claimant. As it isn't intended to be a settlement or a resolution if its not a F&F. I do think backs need covering a little here. The banks don't play particularly nice and I can't see the FSA jumping in.....they hardly jumped in at the major changes to the T&C's and charges which are also prohibited by the waiver.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

I see where youa re going Cet. I am so scared about not being honest and up front with my intentions that once they have paid out the 70% I will lose the rest which is nice a tidy sum to the likes of me. I understand what you have said with a view to them already knowing the terms and conditons of the waver, but what scares me is the given fact that we all know they are known to change as long as it suits them. In a sense I trying to protect my bases and make sure I am covered so there is no comebacks no matter what and should the rest of the case come to our favour that I get the remainder that is due.

Comment

Just thinking Ladidi - shall I move your posts re the settlemtn (and replies rleating to) to their own thread then it won't get lost in other topics coming up later xx

urrghhh cakky wireless keyboard
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sure hun no worries, as i said I just want to make sure that teh email send covers all bases, the settlement offered and future payment of the remainer when the case is found in our favour :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

I know what you mean but one cannot eat cake and have it too - if the OP wants to accept 70% now, which I presume they do, then they must also accept that Abbey do not have to pay them anything at all now and probably won't if they do not believe that it will end the matter.

In the event that the test case does not go the way we (and clearly Abbey) think it will, then they will have lost nothing - should we get the desired result, the OP will get the rest anyway, as per s.16 a & b of the waiver conditions.

It's win/win but you may have to fool them first.

Comment

Re: Ladidi v Abbey - settlement offer

okay I agree...maybe a wee tweak ?

''assist towards a resolution''
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: Ladidi v Abbey - settlement offer

So Cet, what you sare saying is send them this:-

Dear

Ladidi -v- Abbey
                                Claim Number:

Thank you for your email of (date)

Your offer of £3753.43 is not acceptable as you have failed to take into account the statutory interest owing on the £3753.49, which today amounts to £300.27 and my costs of £300.00. and which would not have been payable had your company paid me this sum before I was forced to litigate.

However, in the interests of an early settlement and to ensure a speedy resolution to this claim I will accept an immediate payment of £4053.76 to be paid by cheque.

Yours sincerely

Receive a payout and then kindly remind them that payment is not full and final as terms and conditions of waver have set out and should everything go our way I then put in a claim for the remainder plus interest.compensation etc

I might have done my interest bit wrong though as I took the amount and times it by 8% and then added the 2 figures together

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X