• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gifted a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifted a car

Hi there, I'm looking for some advise on my situation. I met someone around 4 years ago, he was very wealthy and would often buy me gifts. Gifts that I never asked for. It turned in to a kind of 'sugar daddy arrangement' I suppose, although I'd like to point out there was no sexual intercourse involved whatsoever and he was aware that this was not on offer.

i told him I did not want a boyfriend, it was more of a friendship, but often when we met he would have expensive gifts for me.
    Around 2 years ago I had trouble with my car. There where problems with the electrics and often needed jump staring.
    He offered to buy me a new car. He was buying himself one at the same time from the same garage.
    He took me for a test drive, he took me to choose the colour and extras. He gave it to me as a gift. He said because he wanted me to be safe in a car that was reliable. The car was delivered to his home and he sent me several messages trying to arrange for me to collect it.
    When I went to collect it he showed me around it and handed me both sets of keys and all the paper work. I was very grateful and thanked him for his generosity.

18 months later, I still have the car, it's been insured in my name and parked at my house since the day I was given the keys. He hasn't driven it.
    I have all dvla forms and log book, but the car is in his name.
    After losing some interest in me over the last 8-10 months he's communication got less and he told me he'd paid for a young female and her family to have a holiday in America and got the same female and her friends tickets and backstage passes to concerts and after parties. Then he mentioned another female he was helping out through a hard time, so I kind of got the message he was moving on from our friendship.
    However - today he has messaged me telling me he needs the car back due to not paying the finance.
    Bearing in mind is home is worth over 1 million, his land 250,000£, his own car around 100,000£ plus other vehicles and businesses.

I have paid for a hpi check on the vehicle which shows it as having outstanding finance.
    I have asked for him to transfer the finance agreement and vehicle in to my name so I can continue to pay off the finance loan. He said that isn't possible and he'd already asked.

Where do I stand legally? Can a financed car be given as a gift without full ownership? Or is his gift a promise of making the payments.
    I have numerous messages from him saying it's my car i.e. - I hope you enjoy your new car, I'm happy you are safe in your new car, etc etc
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X