• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hoist/Howard Cohen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hoist/Howard Cohen

IVE BEEN A BIT OF AN IDIOT...

Hi all, happy new year!
    I've had a negative development in the 2 claims from Hoist. I received a Notice of Allocation for each case a few days apart. The first one was allocated to small claims track, case is listed for a window in May 2018, documents to be exchanged 14 days prior to the hearing.

Yesterday i got a pack of documents from Hoist for the 2nd case, today i got a Judgement letter from the court. STUPIDLY I didnt read the details of the 2nd case and assumed theyd both been allocated to small claims track; not the case, I should have disclosed documents by early December and they've now got judgement against me, main reason is lack of defence.

I know that Ive been monumentally stupid.. Is there anything I can do to sort this mess ive made?

Comment

Originally posted by ADDLED View Post
      IVE BEEN A BIT OF AN IDIOT...
      know that Ive been monumentally stupid.. Is there anything I can do to sort this mess ive made?
      Possibly.

Did the Claimant comply with Directions for both claims/cases (it’s not clear from your post)?

Di

Comment

Looking back through your thread I can see that Joanna Connolly (my firm) advised you on what you needed to do to protect your legal position in post # 99 on the 3rd August 2017.

Can you update on what happened after that.

Originally posted by Joanna C View Post
        You must file a defence in as quickly as possible. If you don't then you will probably get a default judgment. What is the reason for the delay in this?

Are you not getting help from the forum? If not please try a pro bono centre or Law works .

Hoist Portfolio are unlicensed so it would be a pity if they were to achieve a judgement against you.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          Possibly.
          Did the Claimant comply with Directions for both claims/cases (it’s not clear from your post)?Di
          Hi Diana, tks for your reply. Forgetting the first case for now (small claims, claimant/me have until 14 days prior to swap docs so not urgent at all) I'll list details of the one with the judgement:

1) Oct 2017: Ordered to complete directions questionnaire - both parties complied.
          2) Nov 2017 - Allocation to Fast Track received, Disclosure of Docs to be swapped by 4pm 12 Dec 2017.
          3) 15 Dec 2017 received disclosure form from claimant (dated 12 Dec but accompanying letter dated 14 Dec, so 3 days late).
          4) 15 Dec 2017 - realised i hadnt sent this so i printed off and mailed a copy of the N265 form to the claimant.
          5) Jan 2018 - received Judgment "Summary Judgment" upon reading the application dated 20 Dec 2017...

"This order has been made without a hearing under courts case management powers contained in the Civil Procedure Rules, Part 3. You may within 7 days of the service of this order apply to the court to set aside... under part 23 rule 10...etc.

So, it seems the claimant has submitted their document disclosure a few days late and then applied for judgment as mine wasnt received on time. It seems quite unfair since they were late also.

Regarding the evidence, their recon T&Cs are a mess and, without going into detail here, I could easily pick apart, so i feel i have a strong defence.

Considering the above, what do i do now?

thanks again,
          ADD

Comment

Hi Diana, tks for your reply. Forgetting the first case for now (small claims, claimant/me have until 14 days prior to swap docs so not urgent at all) I'll list details of the one with the judgement:

1) Oct 2017: Ordered to complete directions questionnaire - both parties complied.
            2) Nov 2017 - Allocation to Fast Track received, Disclosure of Docs to be swapped by 4pm 12 Dec 2017.
            3) 15 Dec 2017 received disclosure form from claimant (dated 12 Dec but accompanying letter dated 14 Dec, so 3 days late).
            4) 15 Dec 2017 - realised i hadnt sent this so i printed off and mailed a copy of the N265 form to the claimant.
            5) Jan 2018 - received Judgment "Summary Judgment" upon reading the application dated 20 Dec 2017...

"This order has been made without a hearing under courts case management powers contained in the Civil Procedure Rules, Part 3. You may within 7 days of the service of this order apply to the court to set aside... under part 23 rule 10...etc.

So, it seems the claimant has submitted their document disclosure a few days late and then applied for judgment as mine wasnt received on time. It seems quite unfair since they were late also.

Regarding the evidence, their recon T&Cs are a mess and, without going into detail here, I could easily pick apart, so i feel i have a strong defence.

thanks again,
            ADD
            you mention Summary Judgment? Have you received an N244 application notice asking for Judgment under Civil PRocedure Rule 24?
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi Diana, tks for your reply

Jan 2018 - received Judgment "Summary Judgment" upon reading the application dated 20 Dec 2017...

What is the date of that Order ?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                you mention Summary Judgment? Have you received an N244 application notice asking for Judgment under Civil PRocedure Rule 24?
                And if the Claimant has made an application to the Court and you havent been served with a copy , you can apply to set the order aside so its not the end of the world either you
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                  Hi pt, tks for responding. No, havent received anything. Should this have been from the court?

Comment

Hi pt, tks for responding. No, havent received anything. Should this have been from the court?
                    ahh ok its just that you mentioned "Summary Judgment" which is normally an application under CPR 24 etc, that is why i asked.

Comment

Naaa, sorry I was quoting the Judgment form:

"IT IS ORDERED THAT
                      1. Summary judgment for the claimant against the defendant pursuant to CPR 24(2)(a)(ii)(b).
                      Reason: The defence discloses no coherent statement of faxcts confirming that the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim.

tks.
                      ADD

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                        What is the date of that Order ?
                        Di
                        Sorry i didnt see your questiopn. Its dated 10 Jan 18.

Comment

First of all you need to find out how that Judgment arose, the wording of the Judgment seems to say that the claimant applied for Summary Judgment ( you should have had a copy ) on the grounds that " The defence discloses no coherent statement of faxcts confirming that the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim" as per the Judgment order reason. ( actually CPR wise it's (ii) that defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim or issue; and (b) there is no other compelling reason why the case or issue should be disposed of at a trial. )

At the bottom of that judgment order does it say about applying within 7 days as it has been made without a hearing/without notice ? You're going to have to get things moving and find out what happened to get an application to set aside in.

What was in the pack of documents you received ? does that included request for summary judgment, all the documentation for the claim ( agreement/default notice etc ?) and witness statements ? or is it a delayed delivery of their WS's ordered by the court ? ( if so might be worth checking with the court when the WS was received by the court as you didn't receive anything until this Summary Judgment)
                          You also mentioned you assumed it was allocated to small claims track but it wasn't - so was it allocated to fast track ? Was there any directions with the hearing letter that you didn't read but do have a copy of now ?
                          What do you think is wrong with the T&C's ?

Probably really help if you can do pics of the documents you have received to help figure out what you need to do now.
                          Last edited by Amethyst; 18th January 2018, 08:58:AM.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst, thanks for your post this morning. Apologies for taking all day but we've been having a bit of a family crisis past few weeks and I've barely had time to sit down, head in a bit of a spin.
                            I'll try to answer your comments as best I can:

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            First of all you need to find out how that Judgment arose, the wording of the Judgment seems to say that the claimant applied for Summary Judgment ( you should have had a copy ) on the grounds that " The defence discloses no coherent statement of faxcts confirming that the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim" as per the Judgment order reason. ( actually CPR wise it's (ii) that defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim or issue; and (b) there is no other compelling reason why the case or issue should be disposed of at a trial. )
                            At the bottom of that judgment order does it say about applying within 7 days as it has been made without a hearing/without notice ? You're going to have to get things moving and find out what happened to get an application to set aside in.

Copy judgment attached.

What was in the pack of documents you received ?

Their witness statement has the following docs:1) photocopies of the 'agreement'.
                            2) heavily redacted copy of Deed of Assignment.
                            3) copy statements.
                            4) copy default notice from a debt collection agency.
                            5) notice of assignment from MKDP LLP to Hoist.
                            6) Robinson Way letter.
                            7) Howard Cohen threat letter.

does that included request for summary judgment?

No, nothing at all regarding that.

or is it a delayed delivery of their WS's ordered by the court ?

It seems to be, i received it a day or two after the judgment letter.

if so might be worth checking with the court when the WS was received by the court as you didn't receive anything until this Summary Judgment)

I'll call them in the morning

You also mentioned you assumed it was allocated to small claims track but it wasn't - so was it allocated to fast track ? Was there any directions with the hearing letter that you didn't read but do have a copy of now ?

Exactly that; I had already received notice of allocation for another Hoist claim that was a similar amount that was allocated to cmall claims, hearing in spring so i have months to get my defence written up. When i received NoA for this one i stupidly didnt read it properly and assumed same.

What do you think is wrong with the T&C's ?
                            The dates don't match, terms quote a date a couple of years after they claim i signed the agreement so can't be a reconstituted copy of the original agreement.

Please let me know if there's anything ive missed out.
                            thanks again
                            ADD
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Addled, Just so you know I got your PM and I'm just reading your post through now xxx

I'll call them in the morning
                              Did you, and what did they say ?

The dates don't match, terms quote a date a couple of years after they claim i signed the agreement so can't be a reconstituted copy of the original agreement.
                              okay cool, in their witness statement do they plead that it is the original, or that it is the terms as varied ?

Is this ( http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...l=1#post739749) the Defence you entered for THIS claim ?

( we should split these two claims into separate threads from here really but lets get this bit sorted first - just confusing reading back to figure out exactly where you are on this one )

What's the wood covering up ( para 2 ? )
                              Attached Files
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

What's the wood covering up ( para 2 ? )
                                Judgment amount etc, identifying info.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X