• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Company liquidation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company liquidation

We had windows, doors & conservatory fitted november 2015 with 10year warranty, went to contact them as we have multiple issues and found they have gone into liquidation, is there anything to be done or are we going to have to pay again to have this put right?
    Tags: None

Re: Company liquidation

Was this an insurance backed warranty?

Comment

No, just the basic warranty that came with work & windows thank you, have been intouch with an ex employee who told us we should have been sent a warranty insurance but like others we never got one
      Last edited by Debkit69; 3rd May 2017, 06:02:AM. Reason: More details

Comment

The company has now started up under a different name

Comment

If its a new LTD company they may not be liable for any claim you need to contact them for info doubtful they are.

Comment

Yes i did think that may be the case, ive tried contacting them and when they know its me they hang up, ive left messages, sent emails and they just ignore me, they have left us in a right mess and probably lots of other people too, thank you for your help

Comment

In law, a limited company is deemed a separate legal person in itself and therefore it is liable for any contracts directors or senior managers enter into on behalf of the company. When it goes into liquidation and dissolves that is essentially the end of the road for you as you can't claim against a dissolved company. It is possible to restore the company to the companies house register but (a) it is very expensive and (b) it is only worth doing so if money can be obtained from a judgment (and this happens in personal injury such as hearing loss where there were insurers at the time the injury took place and so the claimant can claim from the insurer where the company had insurance cover).

There is however something called 'piercing the corporate veil' whereby the courts will go behind the 'veil' of the company's liability and hold the directors directly responsible for their actions. You should note however that it is difficult to prove and the courts are always reluctant to pierce the veil unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Unless the company is used as a facade to conceal or avoid liability (amongst other exceptional reasons), the courts will not pierce the veil. It is possible that there could be an argument whereby the directors setting up a new company in exactly the same way had dissolved the previous business to avoid it's liabilities but the onus is on you to prove it.

Using this line of argument is complex and would not suggest going about it yourself without seeking legal advice first.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Many thanks for all your information, looks like we are stuffed, my daughter used her inheritance to pay for all the work as she lost her dad the same year, i feel sure the new company will do the same to their new clients but like you say, no proof, thanks once again

Comment

Can i not do him for breaching the contract as it states on there 10 year warranty but he didnt give us the insurance back warranty details?

Comment

Your contract was with the LTD company you need to look at the wording of this guarantee probably no claim against any employee or director

Comment

It is important to know whether the liquidation is voluntary or compulsory and whether or not the company is solvent. The procedure will be handled differently for a compulsory liquidation that it would be dealt with in a voluntary liquidation, so the following information is just a broad overview of the process.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X