• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrong Registration on Summons Advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Registration on Summons Advice please!

On the 12th August 2016 I was pulled over for allegedly driving at 43Mph in a 30 limit. The road in question has 11 (yes eleven) different speed limits in less than a mile! In my case I had just gone through the 40 limit down to 30 I had driven around 100yds before being stopped. I was just driving at the same speed as all the others in the line of traffic Not too sure why I got "lucky" Sadly the policeman concerned was "jobsworth" I heard nothing at all until April 1st (and though it was some cruel April fools joke) as this was well over 6 month ago! a summons arrived It was then I noticed the statement by the police and all the paperwork has the incorrect registration number on it They all say the last 3 digits are KKV when my car is KKU. This is not just 1 misprint, it is all over the paperwork
    I have sent the paperwork back saying I am not guilty of driving a vehicle with this registration. My questions are....
    1) Can the police wait this long before issuing a summons? 2) As the signed statements and the summons are factually inaccurate because of the registration, will they now drop this matter or re-issue the paperwork with the correct registration.? 3) Should I get some kind of formal reply to my letter pointing out their error?

Any advice appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Wrong Registration on Summons Advice please!

Te police have six months in which to lay information before the court.
    The summons can follow anytime after that.

Minor errors on the summons will not generally invalidate it.
    Whether or not a prosecutor will be allowed to amend the details on the summons will very much depend on whether there is any prejudice caused to a defendant. If it is a technicality only and the defendant could quite clearly understand what has been alleged, a Court will normally allow the changes to be made. If there is prejudice, a defendant is more likely to be given an adjournment to prepare their case in light of the new information rather than have it withdrawn.

Surprised you even got a summons as that offence was within the parameters that would allow you to have been offered a speed awareness course.
    Did you upset the copper?

Comment

Hi,
      Not sure can do speed awareness with the speed you were doing. 45 in a 30 not allowed to opt for the course even when contacting them to ask. Not sure what the 'cut off' for taking the course instead is.
      You've probably received the summons, having ignored the 1st April letter?
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Peridot View Post
        Hi,
        Not sure can do speed awareness with the speed you were doing. 45 in a 30 not allowed to opt for the course even when contacting them to ask. Not sure what the 'cut off' for taking the course instead is.
        You've probably received the summons, having ignored the 1st April letter?
        I did not ignore the letter and fully replied and sent it by recorded delivery nearly 2 month on and still no reply! It is now nearly 10 month since being stopped I guess I got lucky??

Comment

Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X