• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Very confusing situation regarding Dad's will.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very confusing situation regarding Dad's will.

Hey guys,

Quick background - Dad died in November from stomach cancer. Knew he was going (as did we) so he got his finances in order. With no malice he explained he was leaving all his money to his wife (not my Mother), and the money would then be split between me and my brother when she died. Seems fair, though I could well be 70 myself by then and hopefully with little need for it!

Issue is, despite being born and raised in Kent (as I was and still live here), he spent the last decade of his life in Scotland.

Now I didn't know until he died, but Scottish law allows the person's children to claim rights to "movable" estate (so everything except his house pretty much), which for reasons I don't quite understand would be 1/6th for me, another 1/6th for my brother.

So last week, nearly 6 months later, his estate is calculated and I'm told the amount. It isn't huge, but given I currently have no money, am struggling to start a business, live meal to meal, and have even considered shoplifting just to eat, it would certainly set me for the next few years at least, could possibly even get me a property if I invest wisely.

I don't want to go against his wishes, but on the moral side I'm pretty much decided. I won't be leaving his wife short by means, she is highly qualified and earns a decent amount herself, so won't exactly struggle, and part of me wonders if my Dad knew this would happen and did it like this so as not to "rock the boat". Certainly his style, a very clever and diplomatic chap!

But my main issue, and why I'm posting here, is knowing what to do next. The letter his solicitor sent says (obviously) as they represent him, they can't offer legal advice or represent me. I can't afford a solicitor myself, and it kind of doesn't matter - phoned a local reputable place and they explained that not only is Scottish law so different to English law they wouldn't want to take it on, from a legal view, Scotland is separate from England & Wales, so they wouldn't be allowed to deal with this anyway.

So what do I do? The letter has two tickboxes (I wish to claim his estate/I wish to discharge my claim), but I assume it isn't a case of ticking a box, signing it, sending it back, and getting a cheque? I assume this means months, or years even, of legal battles? I just don't have it in me, nor do I have the money. I've had serious mental health issues myself, and since my Dad died I have attempted suicide, so a hearty legal battle is last thing I need.

Any advice or answers massively appreciated here guys. Loads of other little things confusing me too about the letter I got and the breakdown of his estate, but I'm beyond thinking about it right now and I doubt they're answerable questions anyway.
    Tags: None

Re: Very confusing situation regarding Dad's will.

NB I know absolutely nothing about Scots inheritance. And I am not a lawyer.

Was your dad sending you money or otherwise helping you (letting you live rent-free in a house he owned?) before he died?

Do you know what the provision in the Will actually is? What you have talked about is your dad leaving a lifetime interest in everything to his wife, which will come to you when she dies. Was that what the Will actually said?

Do you know how much the "non moveable" property is worth - presumably a house?

This http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2005/12/05115128/51285 appears to describe the 1/3 split between children for moveable property.

I *think* from reading that that you may have to choose between taking the 1/6 of the moveable property now and the inheritance under the will of possibly much more but at a much later date. I think you can ask the solicitor to clarify this - it is a matter of fact, not advice on what you should do. he may refuse but that would be my starting point.

Have you talked to your brother?

This doesn't feel to me like a situation that is likely to end up in court. But you may have a difficult decision to take if I am right that you have to choose between taking 1/6 now and the terms of the will.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X