• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

***DISCONTINUED**claim from howard cohen and co

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: claim from howard cohen and co

Originally posted by jobe1972 View Post
    yes i declined i dont fancy spending the next 75 years paying them a fiver a month
    Now all you have to do is win in court or get them to discontinue

I'll be long dead and buried in 75 years so it wouldn't have worried me so much :-)

Comment

Just a update I was due in court today I wasnt gonna go as it wasnt my local court so couldnt get there... I had resigned myself to losing and was once i received the verdict was ready to just go bankrupt with a ccj hanging over me my credit was destroyed anyway...

But yesterday i got a email from howard cohen and co with a notice of discontinuance

Comment

well done ring the court in 5 days time to check they received the same notice

Comment

Well done.

Congrats

Maybe the fiver a month was the give away

Comment

i confirmed it with the courts on the 31st as i was due in court that day and i have also had the paperwork through now from cohen ..i did have a question though well a couple... i now assume there isnt much that can now be done as it was vacated the clock on it being statue barred continues as if the court action never took place...last payment was october 2011 a token payment...so as of november it would of been no payment for 6 years..

I also have another debt same card company same debt agency chasing it but once they started court proceddings they did nothing so its just hanging there and as such the clock on it becoming statue barred is frozen that card would of run out the same time as the vacated one...my question is what can i do about that one as i dont like it just sitting there can i apply to the courts next year when it would of well and truely been statue barred to have the stay removed so it can run out

Comment

Just a update I was due in court today I wasnt gonna go as it wasnt my local court so couldnt get there... I had resigned myself to losing and was once i received the verdict was ready to just go bankrupt with a ccj hanging over me my credit was destroyed anyway...

But yesterday i got a email from howard cohen and co with a notice of discontinuance

Well that's a relief Congratulations.

Ahh crossed posts two tics
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

i confirmed it with the courts on the 31st as i was due in court that day and i have also had the paperwork through now from cohen ..i did have a question though well a couple... i now assume there isnt much that can now be done as it was vacated the clock on it being statue barred continues as if the court action never took place...last payment was october 2011 a token payment...so as of november it would of been no payment for 6 years..
                Indeed I expect in 4/5 months you'll be home dry. For them to bring a new claim on this same cause of action ( debt) they would have to apply to the court for permission as you had already defended.... so that should be the end of it anyway

I also have another debt same card company same debt agency chasing it but once they started court proceddings they did nothing so its just hanging there and as such the clock on it becoming statue barred is frozen that card would of run out the same time as the vacated one...my question is what can i do about that one as i dont like it just sitting there can i apply to the courts next year when it would of well and truely been statue barred to have the stay removed so it can run out
                Okay so this is in court but on hold as they didn't provide documents or reply to your defence ? You know they could pick it up if they find documents - so you could apply to have it struck out - now based on lack of documents and abuse of process - or leave it sitting there. The problem with leaving it until it is statute barred is it wouldn't go statute barred as the claim was made within the time limit - only if it was struck out/discontinued could you then claim it to be statute barred. How long has it been on hold for now??

I'd give your self a little bit of a break though first.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  Indeed I expect in 4/5 months you'll be home dry. For them to bring a new claim on this same cause of action ( debt) they would have to apply to the court for permission as you had already defended.... so that should be the end of it anyway

Okay so this is in court but on hold as they didn't provide documents or reply to your defence ? You know they could pick it up if they find documents - so you could apply to have it struck out - now based on lack of documents and abuse of process - or leave it sitting there. The problem with leaving it until it is statute barred is it wouldn't go statute barred as the claim was made within the time limit - only if it was struck out/discontinued could you then claim it to be statute barred. How long has it been on hold for now??

I'd give your self a little bit of a break though first.

the first claim for the discontinued debt was applied for in febuary 2017 that one has now been discontinued and will be statued barred if my math is right by the end of this month thats 6 years without payment..which i beleive is how it works from what i have read as the default date online differs to this and says febuary 2012

the still pending claim was started in april 2017 i sent my defence in by may and they didnt respond i thought maybe they left it sitting till they seen how the discontinued claim went as it was the same credior BARCLAYCARD for both debts (by the way there the only two defaults i have so both them going would clear my credit file for me to rebuild my credit) hence why i am eager to get rid of them as my only choice with a ccj was bankrupcy..

the default date for that one is march 2018 but again last payment to that was October 2011 so again if they hadnt started proceddings would run out of time in november also it was a sly trick to freeze time on it

My argument would be if they hadnt of not replied within the time limit this would of been allocated to the courts and dealt with but as this was fast approaching it being statue barred they have frozen it in time and if it hadnt of been frozen it would now be statue barred( this is the argument i would use after it would of been statue barred) i cant see this one running any different to the one thats been discontinued as they had the documents for that one

Comment

Re: ***DISCONTINUED**claim from howard cohen and co

was hoping for some help in regards to the above but its been over a month and no reply both debts would now be statue barred if they had run there natural course ..one was discontinued so thats gone ...but the other is in limbo in the court system as nothing was done to it since my defence was sent in so what are my options anyone please

Comment

I can’t see any background of this debt which makes it difficult to make suggestions on your next step (if any).

No two claims are the same even if the Claimant is the same.

You say the claim was issued in May this year and became stayed after you filed your Defence. It was a Barclaycard? In order to take a view on the likelihood of it remaining stayed or coming back to life when documentation is sourced or reconstituted depends on a number of factors.

So here come the questions:

When was the account opened and how (online, in branch, response to an invitation letter etc)?

Was it a Barclaycard from the outset or was it an Egg or Morgan Stanley Dean Witter credit card etc?

How much is the claim?

Was there PPI on the account?

Have you sent a Subject Access Request to Barclaycard to see what information has been retained by them?

Also post/type up the Particulars of Claim (with anything which could identify you removed).

(Unless you already have a thread about this claim somewhere else on the forum?).

I also see a reference to you considering bankruptcy as an option, why would that be?

Di

Comment

So here come the questions:

When was the account opened and how (online, in branch, response to an invitation letter etc)?

Opened july 2003 according to credit report already had existing barclaycard so would of been through mail offer

Was it a Barclaycard from the outset or was it an Egg or Morgan Stanley Dean Witter credit card etc?Yes always barclaycard

How much is the claim? around £5600

Was there PPI on the account? dont belive so all ppi has been claimed on al accounts

Have you sent a Subject Access Request to Barclaycard to see what information has been retained by them? Yes as i requested it for the other account they had to send me everything they had

Also post/type up the Particulars of Claim (with anything which could identify you removed). Will have to find teh paperwork but its more or less word for word of the discontinued one except they didnt put a claim in for interest on this one

(Unless you already have a thread about this claim somewhere else on the forum?).

I also see a reference to you considering bankruptcy as an option, why would that be?debt before i won i wouldnt been able to pay if a judgement had been made against me and the only way to stop baliffs etc from hounding me if i had lost would of been bankruptcy ..no longer considering this with one debt gone they only debt in default is this one they started court proceedings on and have left in limbo..

Just need to know what my options are they never responded to any requests as far as i can remember but as both cases was close together for the same company they may of responded and its got mixed up in my files i am terrible at file keeping...

if there was no case this debt would of been statue barred now but because they started proceedings i guess its frozen in time forever ..am i able to apply to the court to have the case dismissed or something stating that them holding a case in limbo when if it ran its natural course would of been unenforceable now

Comment

well i am back as no one replied here got help elsewhere and won the second case so this can be closed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X