• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax Wont Write Off Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax Wont Write Off Debt

Ongoing saga with the Halifax.

Sent in detailed income and expenditure showing I only have 94p a month after things.

Last week sent them in up to date medical problems showing I can't work either.

Been told today they have refused to write the debts off regardless of my current income situation.

I'm appalled at the bank.

Outstanding debt is £9K.

They advise me to speak to Stepchange.

Why should I undertake a debt solution?
    Tags: None

Re: Halifax Wont Write Off Debt

They tend to believe step change get rather than consumer. Also step change tend to want you to enter an arrangement and cause a default.
    Last edited by seduraed; 17th May 2020, 12:22:PM.

Comment

Debt defaulted in 2012 at the start of the IVA.

Not made any since since 2015.

Have ignored my income and expenditure and health problems.

Bank is being very unhelpful and uncooperative.

- - - Updated - - -

Debts defaulted in 2012.

IVA was cancelled sometime in 2015, not made a payment to the debt since then.

Very upset that they have ignored my situation.

How can they expect me to pay when I have no money!?

Its ridiculous!!

Comment

Hi

Just for a bit of info

What is the debt, OD, loan or credit card?
        When was it opened?

Banks really are buggers and do not like to write off the debts , they would rather sell it to a debt purchaser for 10% than accept 20% off you- go figure!

They can not make you pay when you have no money and providing your expenses are reasonable no court would expect you to pay more than you could afford so in my opinion they would be silly to go near a court unless they knew you had assets

Don't let the buggers grind you down, we can and do fight back

Comment

I am very upset that my bank wont help me by writting off the debts.

The credit card agreement was taken out online in September 2006. In the "copy agreement" they provided it mentions condition 5, 8.1 and 12.2

When I asked Halifax to provide these missing conditions, they ignore the request.

With the personal loan, again opened up online in December 2011.

When the bank provided me with a "BANK COPY", there was an incorrect address on the agreement, plus wrong interest rate, and most importantly there was no signature box ie it had not been ticked electronically or not been signed by hand.

I've raised all these questions with the bank, whom are not interested.

I really don't know where I can go from here.

I have no money to pay a solicitor to sue the bank.

The bank keeps passing the debts around DCA's causing me stress, when they know I have ongoing medical problems.

Halifax are a nightmare!!

Comment

Well all I can tell you is what I did back in 2011/12 when life went belly up for me

I CCA'd all the accounts and stopped paying.
            Some have stopped chasing me
            Some have told me there is no agreement and stopped chasing me
            Just 1 has taken court action which I am fighting

In under 12 months all will be statute barred

I know how it can overtake your life but please try to relax- what is the worst they can do?

If part of your medical condition is indeed mental health related make sure you have spelled this out to them very clearly

Only respond to them is they write something that requires a response, otherwise just stick them in a file and keep hold of them

Comment

With respect what would you sue the bank for ? seems you admit its your debt if its unenforceable you would not get a CCJ if its enforceable and a CCJ was obtained the court would probable grant a payment of £1 a month

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                With respect what would you sue the bank for ? seems you admit its your debt if its unenforceable you would not get a CCJ if its enforceable and a CCJ was obtained the court would probable grant a payment of £1 a month
                I wouldn't be able to make £1 a month my income is that low, I'm on sickness benefit.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                Well all I can tell you is what I did back in 2011/12 when life went belly up for me

I CCA'd all the accounts and stopped paying.
                Some have stopped chasing me
                Some have told me there is no agreement and stopped chasing me
                Just 1 has taken court action which I am fighting

In under 12 months all will be statute barred

I know how it can overtake your life but please try to relax- what is the worst they can do?

If part of your medical condition is indeed mental health related make sure you have spelled this out to them very clearly

Only respond to them is they write something that requires a response, otherwise just stick them in a file and keep hold of them
                Halifax have a copy of my medical report showing I have mental health problems and other issues I am unable to work.

I'm just going to ignore them now and sit tight and see if I can get the debts statue barred in around 4 years time or if they sell it on which is more then likely their next step.

Comment

What would you be suing them for?

Comment

Just sit tight

I assume you are on ESA- have you been assessed yet?

I know what its like to live on ESA - I did for 4 years

Have you ever tried applying for PIP - pretty hard to get but always worth a shot- especially if you have physical ailments ( its even harder to get with 'just' mental health ailments)

BTW everyone deals with problems differently
                    I became a little OCD in filing letters and always responding within hour of getting anything and with 20 debts that took up all my time I can assure you. It really didn't help me at all, just made me worse. I didn't start getting better until I 'let go' and waited . As I say though, what was right for me might not be right for you

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                      Just sit tight

I assume you are on ESA- have you been assessed yet?

I know what its like to live on ESA - I did for 4 years

Have you ever tried applying for PIP - pretty hard to get but always worth a shot- especially if you have physical ailments ( its even harder to get with 'just' mental health ailments)

BTW everyone deals with problems differently
                      I became a little OCD in filing letters and always responding within hour of getting anything and with 20 debts that took up all my time I can assure you. It really didn't help me at all, just made me worse. I didn't start getting better until I 'let go' and waited . As I say though, what was right for me might not be right for you
                      I've been on contributions based support group ESA since November 2012.

No recent assessment.

I won PIP at tribunal back in September last year.

It was very stressful and I suffered from high blood pressure.

I'm waiting on the letter from the bank declining me the debt write off.

I was looking into a debt relief order, but I don't feel that is fair to appease the bank.

I might ask them to sell the debt on or just sit on it and let it go statue barred in around 4 years time.

They are fully aware there is no more money available.

Comment

Can you just clarify if the two credit agreements sent by the Halifax were as a result of a formal s 77-79 CCA Request including the £1 statutory fee?

If what you've received in non compliant then those two debts will be unenenforceable unless or until they do comply.

They can continue to ask you to pay but that's about all they can do.

You say you've told them what you believe to be the flaws so they've had the opportunity to remedy the situation.

I doubt they'll close the account and write off the balance so you're only banging your head on a brick wall asking them which can't be good for your blood pressure.

Your IVA appears to have started in 2012 but possibly failed before the five years were up.

Are any of your other creditors chasing you?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                          Can you just clarify if the two credit agreements sent by the Halifax were as a result of a formal s 77-79 CCA Request including the £1 statutory fee?

If what you've received in non compliant then those two debts will be unenenforceable unless or until they do comply.

They can continue to ask you to pay but that's about all they can do.

You say you've told them what you believe to be the flaws so they've had the opportunity to remedy the situation.

I doubt they'll close the account and write off the balance so you're only banging your head on a brick wall asking them which can't be good for your blood pressure.

Your IVA appears to have started in 2012 but possibly failed before the five years were up.

Are any of your other creditors chasing you?

Di
                          I have 4 creditors in total.

Only Halifax are being a nuisance and are not cooperating with me at all.

The IVA failed after 2 years because I couldn't afford to keep paying due to lack of funds.

I really don't know what more I can do with the Halifax, they just wont leave it alone.

They have a habit of passing the debt's are the DCA merrygoround.

I know I can refue to deal with a DCA as they don't have any powers.

What advice can you give me?

I was looking into a DRO but I don't see as to why should I do this when the bank is not being helpful.

Comment

If the Halifax is playing pass-the-parcel with the DCAs they're obviously hoping one of them will bully the money out of you because they've failed to do that so far.

I would expect them to sell your account to a debt purchaser when they've run out of other options.

You say they won't leave you alone so why not leave them alone until they have something useful to say

Enjoy your Bank Holiday weekend.

Di

Comment

It will not work every time, it totally depends upon the creditors. Sometimes the creditors will*write off debt if you have some serious health issue or you are in serious crisis. If you lost your job suddenly then also they will understand the situation.*
                              Is it possible to write off debt? Know the possible ways to Write off debt, which will clear one or a part of the debt...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X