+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Consultation on banning letting agent fees

• Display

VIP Member

Mentions
    658 Post(s)

Default Consultation on banning letting agent fees

Not sure if this has already been posted, though I did look search for one but couldn't find anything.

The Government has opened up a consultation on the proposal to ban letting agent fees that must be paid by tenants - I know I will be giving my say on this, particularly some agents who operate extortionate fees!

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...aid-by-tenants
    DISCLAIMER: AS A PUBLIC FORUM, THE CONTENT POSTED BY ME IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY KIND OF SPECIAL OR OTHER RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND ME. IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW ANYTHING THAT I HAVE PUBLISHED THEN YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND COST, AND I CANNOT ACCEPT LIABILITY. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE BY GOING TO Law Society's Find A Solicitor OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Mentions
    175 Post(s)

Default Re: Consultation on banning letting agent fees

I would be against the ban, but limiting them, or making sure the charges equal good value, is better. Fees for between £ 100 and £ 300 depending on what docs need doing is fair.

I fully understand that some overcharge, and maybe they need limiting, but, a lot depend on the fees to keep the charge % down
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

VIP Member

Mentions
    658 Post(s)

Default Re: Consultation on banning letting agent fees

I personally disagree and think we should go the same route as Scotland in banning all fees and I don't particularly think that there will be a huge hike in rent, if any.

As a worst case scenario, I would say letting agents should only be able to charge a maximum of up to £100 for the full application which would include all necessary checks, references, inventory fees etc. There are many letting agents I have come across who charge both the landlord and tenant for the same things and in effect creates a double recovery/profit for them.

If we only banned letting agents from charging fees I suspect they will no doubt open up a loophole whereby they will simply set up a third party company and then charge for services that way, which means the ban on fees would effectively become void.

Just my personal experience on all of this and I am sure there's others out there who may feel differently, I just hope the government will follow through with the ban, or at the very least put a reasonable cap on fees.
    DISCLAIMER: AS A PUBLIC FORUM, THE CONTENT POSTED BY ME IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY KIND OF SPECIAL OR OTHER RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND ME. IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW ANYTHING THAT I HAVE PUBLISHED THEN YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND COST, AND I CANNOT ACCEPT LIABILITY. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE BY GOING TO Law Society's Find A Solicitor OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL Citizen's Advice Bureau.

+ Reply to Thread