• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lloyds taking Housing beneft payments to cover charges and overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds taking Housing beneft payments to cover charges and overdraft

I was going to post this in my Lloyds thread but I can't find it at the moment - and actually it might be more appropriate to post here.

I haven't used my Lloyds account for ages now as they lowered my overdraft limit making me £800 over the limit. I just visitied the site to try to download my statements (which I have to send to the new Council in my new application for HB and CTB). The *$£%%ds have taken £215 in "unplanned overdraft fees" (what the hell does that mean anyway?) and my council paid in £229. SO of course it was swallowed up. I feel physically sick. How can anyone get out of debt when they keep doing this to us? It seems so backward to charge peope who have no money and get us further and further into debt. The interest charges have gone up so much I'm now paying over £30/month too.

I'm not sure what the council payment is for. I recently made a reconsideration application for some HB and CTB (they sent me a bill for overpayment) and in the reply they said we were in fact eligible (and that we were eligible for CT which they originally said we weren't - hoorah) but that we still owe £180. I phoned the council to clarify and they said any money we were owed would be used towards our outstanding council tax bill - so it can't be that. I will phone them on Monday.

This is all too much now - its a nightmare. Bills are coming in from all over the place and if it weren't for the chance to get my money back from the disgusting banks I would declare bankruptcy now.

DOn't give a bugger about shame and all the stuff people go on about. Don't care that I won't be able to get a mortgage, or credit. I just want to be free.

Re: Lloyds taking Housing beneft payments to cover charges and overdraft

Hi Bluebell,

You need to find out what the council payment was for as some benefits can be taken and others not (re, Social Security Administration Act 1992). I would also advise that you get a parachute account and freeze the Lloyds one, get the council and any other payments and outgoings set up from the new account, until you have this sorted.

Good Luck,
    Hod..Liam..
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

this is where the first right of appropriation would be of use - but that relies on you being made aware these charges were going to be taken at least 7 days before they were.

If you are eligible for HB you should be able to get your HB paid directly to your landlord. At the very least get it paid into another account - a basic one, that you use solely for that .

Let us know what the council say re the payment in to your account.

Trying calling Lloyds and telling them they have taken all your money and you are unable to afford your basic living expenses because of it. Don't let them upset you though.

And theres no shame in going bankrupt, especially these days. So if thats the only way you can see out of it thats what you have to do. Whats your other half done towards his bankruptcy ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Liam and Ame, I'll find out what the payment was for.. and hopefully it will be something they shouldn't take - I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake.

I have got a parachute account and all new benefits etc will be paid into that - when I spoke to my old council I was going to tell them my new details until they said any payments would be used to cover overpayments then thought there was no point. Should've taken notice of my initial gut feeling!

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

My oh is still looking at bankruptcy but hasn't got anywhere in finding funds to cover the cost of it (groan). Does anyone want to buy an automatic Rover (don't know if I said that he passed his manual test!!! woo hoo) - it's in great condition - has all four wheels and a radio... but no MOT or tax.

I'll ring Lloyds a bit later when I have calmed down a bit Ame, we really need that money so I'll see what they have to say.
        Last edited by Bluebell; 19th July 2008, 14:42:PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Its worth a try if they wont play ball we will do a letter for them. (((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) )))
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi Bluebell
            Can you remind us where you got with the various letters.

Did you identify yourself again officially as being a hardship case / and or in financial problems?

Did you get any reply ? Although with travel girl the FOS have not got the charges repaid they did say that Abbey were acting correctly by not chasing the OD caused by the charges. Also there have been cases recently where the FOS have stepped in and charges have been repaid - not many mind you - but it has happened.

Keep trying and then when you get replies post them up .
            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Hi Scooby, No I didn't get round to sending a letter. I don't know what happened - but expect I was preoccupied with waiting for baby. I'll have to amend it AGAIN - to include updated details.

I phoned the council - and the £229 was for extra Housing Benefit...

I phoned the bank and they agreed to allowing me to withdraw the £229 from a branch in cash.!!!!!!! I had to agree to a monthly repayment plan - which wasn't too bad as they set at a minimum of £11 - (which is amazingly much lower than their usual minimum). I asked them if they could do anything about the charges and mentioned that I have been in severe financial difficulties for months and that I keep informing them of the fact but no one takes any notice and they have agreed to repay £75 - (from a grand total of £215). No mention of any goodwill gesture or anything so I don't know how they will class the refund....

I like the sound of the FOS having charges repaid. I'll have to catch up on threads.

Comment

Thats brilliant Well done

Yep def catch up on the FSA waiver - Banks granted unfair charges waiver - Legal Beagles

Should benefit you hopefully :hug:
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

wo hooo! today is a good day

thanks for the link Ame

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X